actually really liked his explanation. that was awesome.
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
What's he say?

my sound driver's ****ed
Quote by AlecMag
I love that song! You are god for putting it into a poem

Quote by LadyHellRaiser
Your hair is fckin epic, dude!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by rmr024
no ****in way!
I don't even know you but I think I love you...

So awesome.

I hate my fucking username.
he seems like a very good teacher. hes not very cocky like most guitar players. (not stereotyping or anything, just observing)
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
Quote by thycrusader
he seems like a very good teacher. hes not very cocky like most guitar players. (not stereotyping or anything, just observing)

Yea he has a very humble air about him which I really like. He said himself on his website in one of the lessons on musicianship that he always felt he was very much inferior in ability than many of his peers at Berklee, and that he felt it was his attitude ,which was the result of being taugh by Zappa, that made him such a success in retrospect.
Quote by Guitarman015
Well he did teach kirk hammett to solo....

That was Satch, as far as I know Vai hasn't taught anyone specific.

I like his answer but it's only what everyone around here says anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Guitarman015
Well he did teach kirk hammett to solo....

that was joe satriani, not steve vai
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
Quote by Shredder Guitar

that was joe satriani, not steve vai

Really? Me and my cousin were talking about metallica's big sellout. and he told me that hammett was taught by steve vai.

Post Deleted
Quote by AlecMag
I love that song! You are god for putting it into a poem

Quote by LadyHellRaiser
Your hair is fckin epic, dude!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by rmr024
no ****in way!
I don't even know you but I think I love you...

So awesome.

I hate my fucking username.
his answer is just the one every player would give you, but he does bring it in a great way, another thing to respect the man ..

i just missed one exercise he could have mentioned (i presume he knows one like it, as he did give a hint in the direction)
it's to play the same bit (like that 'riff' he used as an example) in different moods without changing speed and accents (rest of the dynamics can be changed) like playing that bit with serenity and next with fear, next anger, next sorrow, and a lot of emotions that way.. it was one of the things that made me sound better than i ever imagined before that.. it's a pretty hard thing though
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
^Sounds like a good exercise. But the question was about speed, but still I'll have to try that one.

Also, another "secret" to speed is to move less. Use only the smallest fraction of the pick and make the smallest hand movements possible. ATM I'm playing 16ths at around 40bpm, making sure I pay careful attention to my picking hand. It's amazing how much more stamina you'll have.
Vai is a ****ing god.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by duggyrocks
^Sounds like a good exercise. But the question was about speed, but still I'll have to try that one.

Also, another "secret" to speed is to move less. Use only the smallest fraction of the pick and make the smallest hand movements possible. ATM I'm playing 16ths at around 40bpm, making sure I pay careful attention to my picking hand. It's amazing how much more stamina you'll have.

very true indeed. even with the fretting hand you want to have as little movement as you can. you dont want your fingers flapping up and down all the time. you would want to keep them close to the fret board so that your fingers dont have to move as far a distance to the string.