ok i want to take off the gloss poly on my Tele body and put nitro on it with out taking off the sunburst. is that possible? what grit would i need? i have a lot of dings on the edge of the body so if i do this would it make those worse?

also i know i can use 0000 steel wool to take off the shine the neck and make it like a satin neck but would that in any way harm the neck? scratches or anything?

Thanks! i'm not a fan of shiny guitars
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
not a fan of shiny guitars? trust me, in a year you will be, I used to be all about semi-gloss/satin, but there's just no point when you could have a high gloss.

And whats wrong with fixing your guitar with more urethane? I'm just starting to learn about finishes since I'm half way through finishing my 1st guitar, but it'd seem to me that it'd be possible (theoretically) to sand off the poly clear coat and leave the burst. But A, I don't think that an amateur (or pro) could sand that evenly, and B, I'm not sure how poly would react with nitro.

So fix poly with poly. Good luck, and post pics!
does anybody know if coating a neck already coated with nitro with acrylic lacquer makes any chemical reaction that's bad with the finish?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I'm with flashbandit ... it'll be challenging, if not impossible, to not mess up the burst.
Quote by ECistheBest
does anybody know if coating a neck already coated with nitro with acrylic lacquer makes any chemical reaction that's bad with the finish?

None that I've observed. A buddy of mine went the opposite of marktuazon. I re-finished his Nitro-finished Highway 1 Strat with Glossy Acrylic because he wanted it shiny. That was last year and it's still shiny.

^awesome! ippon.

do u know what brand he used?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
do u know about Rust-o-leum??? they're like... Home Depot's lacquer... that's all they have at my local one like 10 mins away on the freeway...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^i think it's acrylic. cuz they have one that says "Enamel" in the different section.

but rust-o-leum sucks cuz it doesn't say on the can... and i e-mailed them about it and they never respond... am i being to techy on them???
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^awesome. thanks ippon.

u probably noticed, but i just can't wait for my neck hahaha.

how do u get rid of air bubbles (small ones) under decals when i use spray adhesive though? my first time i tried it (on a newspaper) there were so much tiny airbubbles under it...

its the bubbles of gas that comes out with the adhesive from the spray... any of the "Ippon Tips"?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
hmm..ok. then i guess in a year or so ii'll prolly take off the finish and go for something more subtle. i already had my share of high gloss poly guitars. just want it more "vintage" being a Tele and all. so yea i'll be back in a year or 2 to see what happens. but i'm gonna go nitro when i do
PS3

Fear the LIME

X