In my music class we are learning Part Writing; specifically open and close triad writing. We go really fast and I wasn't to clear on it. Can someone please explain in to me better.
"In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen"

Hellsing Organization

I think thats got to do with voicing a melody or bass line in harmonies. As in soprano, alto, tenor and bass.

Soprano is the very highest, than alto, than tenor and then bass. Different instruments can be clasified as one of these, as in alto saxophone or tenor saxophone.

No idea about the closed triad writing. Could be a triad that is not an arpeggio? But thats just a guess. So to combine it all together, it would be harmonising these instruments in chords.... but again thats just a guess.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Yea it is for voice writing. Open and close are different ways to write. Apparently open is suppose to contain an octave or higher between the soprano and tenor and close is not suppose to have it go to another octave.
"In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen"

Hellsing Organization

^Yep, you're right. A lot of pianists prefer close position voicings is because you can easily play the upper three voices with your right hand and the bass note with your left hand.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...