I'm learning the solo to the Coffee Hills Jingle song by Dethklok (from Metalocalypse)
and i'm not sure im supposed to pick these 2 parts.

Are they picked like this?

--13h17p13---------------13h17---------------------------------------
----------------15-----15--------------------------------------------------
--------------------14-----------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D U U D D

---12h15h12------------------------------------12h15------------------------
------------------13--------------------------13----------------------------------
-----------------------12----------------12---------------------------------------
----------------------------14------14-------------------------------------------
---------------------------------15---------------------------------------------
D U U U U D D D D

Or like this?

--13h17p13---------------13h17---------------------------------------
----------------15-----15--------------------------------------------------
--------------------14-----------------------------------------------------
D U D D D

---12h15h12------------------------------------12h15------------------------
------------------13--------------------------13----------------------------------
-----------------------12----------------12---------------------------------------
----------------------------14------14-------------------------------------------
---------------------------------15---------------------------------------------
D U U U D D D D D

Thanks for the help in advance.

*edit*
-_- the site moved all my Downs and Ups over, if you can't figure it out let me know.
whatever way is more comfortable to you. I know you've heard it a million times, but it really is true for a lot of things. personally I sweep with the second method.
unless there's something else for technique, just do it how you like it.
Quote by Oligarchy
SGRocker0791 and Raijin.xiii are ass holes in case anyone was wondering.

Quote by jimmyjimjim
try not to be such a dick

Quote by jdotp
thanks to the ignorant prick
Quote by Raijin.xiii
whatever way is more comfortable to you. I know you've heard it a million times, but it really is true for a lot of things. personally I sweep with the second method.
unless there's something else for technique, just do it how you like it.

Well I haven't really played either riff long enough for my fingers to memorize it. I wanted to ask everyone here which way they thought it was best or easied to sweep so I don't learn it the harder way.
Descending on the strings (high E towards low E) = all notes are upstrokes
Ascending on the strings (low E towards high E) = all notes are downstrokes.

The first should be Up, Up, Down/up, Down, up or down (depending on the next few notes).

In my opinion, sweep picking is a pretty simple process to understand, but hard to preform. Much like algebra, where even if you understand it you can screw it up pretty badly.

Just play it like you would a chord. If you start on the high E, then play it like an upstroke of a chord, when you start to go down again, play it like a downstroke of a chord. The only difference should be is that you're fingering the notes separately so none of them ring at the same time.

EDIT: Upon rereading, you pretty much got the idea down. The middle notes are just a preference, I highly doubt anyone would look down upon playing either or. I think I'd use a downstroke, though. And the first note starting on the high Es should be an upstroke, it'd make your picking hand flow better.
Last edited by PopNFresh07 at Nov 3, 2007,
Yeah the second method is the best i'm pretty sure. Its sort of the 'outside picking' string skip way as opposed to the 'inside picking' way so its kinda... erm... better?

edit: Popinfresh wtf? he clearly knows how to sweep.
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Last edited by 123-Trav at Nov 3, 2007,
Quote by PopNFresh07

EDIT: Upon rereading, you pretty much got the idea down. The middle notes are just a preference, I highly doubt anyone would look down upon playing either or. I think I'd use a downstroke, though. And the first note starting on the high Es should be an upstroke, it'd make your picking hand flow better.

Weird, even though i have just recently started sweep picking I have always done it the first note different like i showed in those 2 riffs.

Does it matter which way you do it?
Not really, it's more of a personal preference. Personally, I learned the second way.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

I would probably make the low notes an up; if you look at it scientifically that is the shortest path to travel and will there fore take the least effort and time but you will have to get used to starting up sweep on the second note in the arpeggio.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.