First of all, with a cryptic title like that, prepare to be as disappointed as you've ever been on UG.

0 of you might remember my dilemma. I stripped the truss rod nut of my prized Warwick Corvette ProLine. For those who don't remember (i.e. all), let me quickly run down what happened.

I stripped the truss rod not. I emailed a guitar shop (Long and McQuade Toronto) and asked what needed to be done. They told me that the truss rod can be replaced - the truss rod is $20, and the work is $30. Sweet, I'm thinking. I thought this would be a $400 repair.

Anyway, Long and McQuade was too far away, so I went to LA Music, which is a local Warwick dealer not 2 blocks away. A massive store. Half the staff are the nicest people in the world, and the other half are clueless morons. Anyway, I took the bass there to get essentially the same service (I brought my Long and McQuade e-mail correspondance to match it all up). First of all, one of the clueless morons told me that I overpaid for that bass, and I could have bought a new one for almost the same price as this used one. I informed him of the impossibility - they don't make ProLines anymore. He insisted it was a normal Corvette in Ash. I pointed out the gold hardware and flame maple body. He inspected the body (apparently my description didn't do it for him), and then conceded defeat. Anyway, he said that the bass isn't really worth repairing, but he'll see what he can do. The owner came by and rolled his eyes and said don't worry, there's a million ways to fix this. First, we'll have to order the part.

So they did.

3 months later, I called to ask what the hell was going on. They said they placed an order, and it's coming. They complained about the slowness of the supplier. Being the resourceful man I am, I tracked down the supplier and emailed the man in charge of parts. I chewed him out.

He apologized profusely but insisted LA Music didn't place an order. I thought he was full of it, but he wasn't: there he was, staring at the exact part I needed. The supplier had it the whole time. He told me to take it to another Warwick dealer (i.e. Long and McQuade Toronto) and I'd have the part within the week.

I put my tail between my legs and went there. There was a typo in the catalogue - the part was $80, not $20. A simple mistake, as 8 and 2 are right beside eachother on the keyboard... anyway, I got the part within the week.

Story over, right? Wrong. Bolt-on Warwicks don't have removable truss-rods - this truss rod is for neck-thru basses. The neck needs replacing.

Well **** me.

Where exactly is the conclusion? Well, dig this - the story went from hell to heaven in 2 minutes.

The neck needs replacing - luckily, Warwick gave the store a neck for warranty purposes. Unfortunately, the neck has been sitting in the shop for 9 years and they didn't have a price for me. Wait a sec: 9 years? If you're keeping score, that's 1998. Why is that significant? That's the last year they were making all-Wenge necks at Warwick. They said Warwick keeps dodging their e-mails - but if they don't respond by a certain time, they'll make up a price that'd "be in my favour." Well, they did.

$125.

An NOS all-Wenge Warwick neck - $125.

Is there some icing on this cake?

An NOS Warwick Brass nut - $20.

I got my neck literally upgraded to a classic Wenge (which they stopped making because it cost to much and frankly they were running out of the wood) with a brass nut and a pro setup for under $200.

My bass went from an almost unplayable mutt to a customized Warwick axe in no-time. Back when Warwick was making Wenge necks, the Corvette ProLine was basically just an Ash Corvette that could come in active/passive. There were no flamed maple active Corvetted with Ovangkol necks back then.

Now just imagine the bloody mess it'd have been if LA Music actually knew how to use a phone.

EDIT: Wenge = "when - gay"

In Elton John's case, all day.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Nov 3, 2007,
Quote by thefitz
Being the resourceful man I am, I tracked down the supplier and emailed the man in charge of parts. I chewed him out.

That was my favortie part.
we love you fitz. This place would be so boring without you. and by the way i'm jealous as all hell.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Haha nice

Fitz 1
Everyone else 0
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Sweet - must've been a huge relief after all that bull**** with LA Music eh?

That bass is gonna be a keeper!

And Elton John rocks
Good story. Glad it worked out for you man. That is one hell of a bass. I am jealous.
Yeah, I'll try to get some pics on during the week!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
D-aym.

That sounds awesome. How does it sound now? I wants me one
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I'm surprised at the difference. It's a much clearer, bright tone with the wenge and the brass nut. With the old neck it was still plenty bright, but it wasn't consistantly so. It's a shame I don't have new strings, because I'd put a soundclip up.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by El Penguino
great turn out, how'd you strip the truss rod though?

Well, I didn't strip it - I just did it in. Evidently, the previous owner must have been using Imperial truss rod measurements (inches) while the Warwick was using metric (millimeters, the best way to go!). Anyway, I think it's 3/16th of an inch is very close to 5mm, but just under it. When the previous owner was doing adjustments, he was using a key that was slightly smaller than the hole, so he could adjust, but was grinding away at it.

By the time I got it, a 5mm key wouldn't fit at all. A 3/16ths would, until it finally 'rolled over' one day. The feeling of it rolling over is just the worst.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Congratulations man, wenge necks (when in the right conditions) are brilliant, especially the old warwicks.

I'm going to warn you though, as soon as it gets humid that neck is going to sweat like a pig in a sauna! I've literally had to wipe my neck down with a towel multiple times in a row so that it was even remotely playable.

That's the problem with a really open grain wood, while they're fast as a cigarette boat dry, wet it's like playing in molasses.
^Good to know. However my left hand is usually alright with many different neck finishes (i.e. my '51 P reissue's thick glossy laquer neck), but if my neck starts to sweat, I'll know why! It doesn't start to warp/tighten, does it?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
^Good to know. However my left hand is usually alright with many different neck finishes (i.e. my '51 P reissue's thick glossy laquer neck), but if my neck starts to sweat, I'll know why! It doesn't start to warp/tighten, does it?

Even though Wenge is a really porous it's a really strong wood. I've never had a problem with it warping or tightening.

I've got a question, is it one of the all wenge necks? (including fingerboard?) Cause if so that neck is just about equal to sex. I know mine is.
This is pretty unrelated but elemen, you have one sweet band. One of the best "indie" sounding american bands ive heard in a long time.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
This is pretty unrelated but elemen, you have one sweet band. One of the best "indie" sounding american bands ive heard in a long time.

Thanks for the complement. Unfortunately... we're not together anymore. I should probably change that link. The group never really took off around where I live, and then due to college we decided to split up. We've got other projects in the works however. I can PM the links if you want.
Ahh I reckon you would be rather popular around my parts!

if you could PM the links I would appriciate it very much

/hijacking thread.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman

And here I was thinking you were talking about mine
Quote by elemenohpee
Even though Wenge is a really porous it's a really strong wood. I've never had a problem with it warping or tightening.

I've got a question, is it one of the all wenge necks? (including fingerboard?) Cause if so that neck is just about equal to sex. I know mine is.

Yep, all Wenge. Not one piece (their necks never were), but still all wenge. The sides of the headstock have that light brown wenge that plagued later necks, but at least it's not one huge strip down the core like some of them.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz

Yep, all Wenge. Not one piece (their necks never were), but still all wenge. The sides of the headstock have that light brown wenge that plagued later necks, but at least it's not one huge strip down the core like some of them.

Probably started running out or the best wenge, so had to sacrifice looks for keeping the prices 'down'.

How different does the wenge sound to the ovangkol? I know both are pretty good woods, with some fairly similar characteristics, but what's the overall effect on the sound?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Probably started running out or the best wenge, so had to sacrifice looks for keeping the prices 'down'.

How different does the wenge sound to the ovangkol? I know both are pretty good woods, with some fairly similar characteristics, but what's the overall effect on the sound?

Actually, wenge is still a fairly common wood. It's very easy to get a hold of, I think warwick stopped using it because of the price, ovangkol if I remember right, has a much lower price.

They sound really similar to me, wenge might be a little more warmer.
I think it's that Warwick was running out of their supply of wood, and to keep the costs down they use as little Wenge as possible. Doing a straight Ovangkol/Wenge comparison isn't very fair because of the brass nut, but I've found the new neck to have cleared my tone significantly while allowing it not to sound too harsh (like the clips on my profile). However the feeling is totally different and Wenge is a bloody breeze to get around. Also, the Wenge neck has a more traditional neck profile - something that many Warwick haters would appreciate. Personally, I loved the Ovangkol shape, but the Wenge is great. The shape IMO isn't as good, but it feels much better.

For what it's worth, with the pickups almost favouring the neck pickup, in passive mode, picking by the bridge (with my Fulltone just slightly on), I can get Chris Squire's tone on Roundabout dead-on. I wish I could record it properly...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Ah... I'm really glad that you had it all sorted out in the end. Nice bit of luck it being an all-wenge neck too!

gm jack, the guys on the Warwick forums said they had stop sourcing wenge for all of the neck as it was becoming more difficult to obtain due to political instability in the countries that supply it, i.e. it probably became more expensive.

They say that ovangkol is of a similar density and have similar tonal properties. I am a fan of the wenge neck mainly because of the profile, and me being the vain guy I am, I think it looks and feel much nicer.
Quote by thefitz
A simple mistake, as 8 and 2 are right beside eachother on the keyboard...

no sarcasm here at all haha.

Sounds like it was a stressful episode.