alright, i need help deciding if i should use finger picking or a guitar pick for this song.
heres the tab.

e|-------------------------------------------------------|
B|-------------------------------------------------------|
G|---4-----4----4-----4----------4----4---4-----4--------| 
D|-------------------------5-------------------------5---|
A|-4-----4---4-------------5-----------------22--22--3---|
E|-----------------44---44-3--2----2----2----------------|

i have the hang of the song with fingerpicking, but it doesnt sound like "rock"... which it is supposed to sound like.....
fingerpicking looks easier... but i don't know
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Power chords with fingerpicking? Hardcore.

Use a pick.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
finger picking looks easier... but your not playing 2 non adjacent notes similtaneously... so you could use a pick... pesonally i'd use a pick.
Hi MrGuitarPlayer,

If you want it to sounds like "rock" then i suggest you should play it with guitar pick, hold your guitar pick with your thumb and index finger and play the other note with your middle finger.
Either way would be fine, but you need to know how to string skip cleanly. If you couldn't, then fingerpicking would probably be easier.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
alright, i guess ill have to learn guitar picking :P

most of the songs i learned were by fingerpicking... stairway to heaven, hey there delilah, etc...

thanks for the replies guys
sorry for double posting, but can someone help me with the fingering? so far i have been using my "1" and "2" fingers for mostly everything, is there another way?
try practising all your fingers, including your thumb if you have to, it'll feel awkward in the first time, but using it. eventually you'll feel much more comfortable using all your finger

Try this

perform a "thrill" with your 1 and 2 finger, and then your 1 and 3, than your 1 and 4, then your 2 and 3, then your 2 and 4, then the last one, the most hard one with your 3 and 4 finger, keep doing that everyday, soon you'll notice your fingers become easy to control.
wow... 3 and 4 is HARD haha... i can do 1 and 2, and struggle between 1 and 3...

where do you learn exercises like this?
I've been a guitar player for over 16 years, mostly I learned it my self, just ask yourself what part of your guitar playing that needs an improvement. And you'll came out with your own exersice technique answer.

For example, If my little finger is sucks, I ask my self what is the best practice to make it strong. And the best practice is to keep playing with that finger everyday, use it more often than my other fingers, and in time it will strong, but don't over exercise it.

Mostly I do came out with my own answer, but there's always uncle google to search for an answer

Nice to meet you MrGuitarPlayer, I'm also new here.
Quote by advascom
I've been a guitar player for over 16 years, mostly I learned it my self, just ask yourself what part of your guitar playing that needs an improvement. And you'll came out with your own exersice technique answer.

For example, If my little finger is sucks, I ask my self what is the best practice to make it strong. And the best practice is to keep playing with that finger everyday, use it more often than my other fingers, and in time it will strong, but don't over exercise it.

Mostly I do came out with my own answer, but there's always uncle google to search for an answer

Nice to meet you MrGuitarPlayer, I'm also new here.

nice to meet you too, advascom
hmm... im going to go think about different picking techniques when using a guitar pic