So i live in LA and NY, i have a marshall MG 250 DFX here in LA... Its an SS amp but i still like it. Is it possible to mod it into a hybrid? with several tubes...

I know sumbody is gonna say "well just get a new amp" so heres a preemptive NO...
I want to do it becaus I like to mod stuff, its fun... i mod evrything, ex: i have a dust buster thats powerful enough to stick to skin/clothes.....

hope sumbody can help.

thanx.
Almost anything is possible First... what's your level of electronic expertise? Since you're asking, I would guess probably low. No offense. The main problem of tube amplification for noobs is the high voltage factor. Not a good idea. I would suggest first reading up on tube amplification in general, as well as guitar amplification. However, there exists a breed of tubes that can be used at a low voltage, but power output is extremely low.

For probably around $100 in parts, along with several hours of work, you could turn that amp into something more remarkable. Since SS and tube preamps aren't very different, you could build a power amp section to drive the speaker, and acquire that "tube sound." The 'net is literally chock full of mods like that, and if you do a bit of searching, you should be able to find something to your liking.
Quote by vicovaludemerol
So i live in LA and NY, i have a marshall MG 250 DFX here in LA... Its an SS amp but i still like it. Is it possible to mod it into a hybrid? with several tubes...

I know sumbody is gonna say "well just get a new amp" so heres a preemptive NO...
I want to do it becaus I like to mod stuff, its fun... i mod evrything, ex: i have a dust buster thats powerful enough to stick to skin/clothes.....

hope sumbody can help.

thanx.
Marhall MG? Expect flames. Not from your amp, from people replying to this thread.

Mod into a hybrid? Bad plan. You don't have the space to add a transformer to supply the filaments or the much higher voltages for the plate supply for those tubes.

Even if you had the space, it would still be expensive.

Even if you were willing to invest the money, you'll have a hard time finding anyone interested in getting involved in a project with an MG at the heart.

If you're still convinced you want to do this, study electronics and design your own mods for it.

See you in a couple of years,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Probably better off designing and building your own all tube amp from scratch, or getting a kit.
theres some DVDs on aussie ebay at the moment specifically about teaching you to merge an SS pre-amp with a Tube poweramp. They even buy cheap crappy combo amps of ebay, then mod & sell them. Sounds exactly what your after
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
im not really worried about space too much, i can rebuild the case if i had to, im thinkin im just gonna build a tube preamp for it. I do have experiance, just not with amps or preamps or pedals...

SomeoneYouKnew... i wasent trying to find somebody to do it for me, id rather buy a new amp than pay sumbody to mess with mine.

i just figured it would be a fun project...
Building a tube preamp would be fun, and a bit easier than a power tube circuit. No need for an output transformer However, preamp tubes are only slightly more musically advantageous than a solid state preamp. You might be able to hear a little improvement. A tube power amp section would provide better results.

Go here, read, understand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_sound