yeah do u anchor your picking hand when u sweep?

i have recently got out of the habit of anchoring, so i just want to know whether to anchor while sweeping or not..

any help is good thanks
MD5K
IBANEZ
on some notes yes, should i not? i didnt realise it was a bad habit?
PSN: Noverion
I dont really know if it's a bad habit either, but i tried not to anchor for a while (which is easy to get out of when concentrating), and it seemed to let me play faster, but my guitar teachers says it gives a hell of a difference for accuracy. So just play with it, then without it.
I also got out of the habit of anchoring recenty
anyway, if I remember well michael angelo batio did it without anchoring in his speed kills dvd...
but it depends on what you feel the most comf with i guess.
i used to do it, but now i have started to not anchor.. and its harder.. but i dont know if its the correct technique thats all
MD5K
IBANEZ
No you should never anchor, anchoring is a bad habit and lets not debate it because it's been done and we always come to the same conclusion: it is but we're never going to agree.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I definitely don't anchor when I sweep. It impairs your right hand's ability to get a clean up/down motion.
Orange Rockerverb 100 + Orange PPC412
Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Fender Road Worn Player's Telecaster
well i think ill keep learning to sweep unanchored then.. it seems to be the correct technique..
MD5K
IBANEZ
by anchoring do you guys mean pivoting your picking hand at the wrist?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No you should never anchor, anchoring is a bad habit and lets not debate it because it's been done and we always come to the same conclusion: it is but we're never going to agree.

Wtf dont say NEVER. There are times to use it, and there are times not to use it. Personally sweeping is much easier if you dont anchor.
when i started sweeping i anchored slightly to stop my whole hand rolling upwards when sweeping upstrokes, but now i never anchor
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
Quote by insideac
Wtf dont say NEVER. There are times to use it, and there are times not to use it. Personally sweeping is much easier if you dont anchor.

As much as I hate to disagree with someone so much better than me but when in the hell is anchoring ever good?! As far as I know you should never anchor.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I always said that you can learn to play anchoring without almost any tension at all (with the pinky or middle finger on the body, but not pushing), you just got to practice well.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by Brandon_leigh
I also got out of the habit of anchoring recenty
anyway, if I remember well michael angelo batio did it without anchoring in his speed kills dvd...
but it depends on what you feel the most comf with i guess.

He anchors with his pinky.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
i have noticed that you can move your hand so much cleaner and faster when your not anchoring.. i have pretty much dropped the habit completely and im gonna keep it that way.. before i changed my technique i was pretty damn fast at sweeping and alternate picked stuff etc so i reckon ill be even faster now..

unanchored is the way to go
MD5K
IBANEZ
yeah, i can only even hope to try to sweep with my hand unanchored, i couldn't do it anchored.