Page 1 of 2
Ok, hello, it's my first post here

Well, I've been playing for a year now, and I'm sure I wanna go on with guitar, so I've decided to buy a new one. Nowadays I have a Yamaha, and it says pacifica, on the top of it. It sounds pretty pretty well with my Spider III 75W, but I want more, and I think I want les paul style.

- My first question is: Is the les paul sound good enough for the lost of the tremolo bar(I mean the Floyd rose thingy)? So, will I notice the diference of sound so much that I won't miss my tremolo bar?

- My second question is about a guitar :P. I've been searching on the internet, and I've fallen in love with this baby: http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe_ec.html
I've found it her at thomann http://www.thomann.de/es/esp_ltd_ec1000_vbk.htm
First, is it a good guitar? Do EMG 81 (B) / 60 (N) Active rock? I've heard EMG sound more heavy, I like that. If anyone of you have it, could you please tell me your expiriences?
Ok, and do you think it's a good price? And, if you know anywhere where I can get it cheaper...

THANKS FOR ALL.
What kind of music do you play?
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
The loss of the floyd rose will neither improve/worsen your tone much it just comes down to a matter of whether you'd like a locking trem and whether you are much of a trem user.

81/60 EMG set is not bad - some people don't like EMG's so if you can play the guitar. The 81/60 set is arguably better than the more common 81/85 set because the 60 has nicer cleans.
Hate to say it, but maybe you should buy a new amp. For $800 you can get a Peavey 5150, 6505, or JSX on eBay.(Not to mention many other guitar tube amps like those.) The amp will greatly improve your tone more so than a kick a$$ guitar.

But, if you must, this guitar is very nice. I have tried my friend's for hours and just about everything on it is better than my Epiphone Les Paul, except the tone of my neck pickup. Overall, it would be a good buy.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
yes, yes it does indeed rock
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
When you spend that kind of money for a guitar you are pretty much guaranteed a quality instrument. The fact that it doesn't have a Floyd Rose doesn't matter very much as someone already mentioned, but if you love artist like Steve Vai, Kirk Hammet and Joe Satriani then you might want to think about getting something with a Tremolo bar on it (locking nut).

I think your better of getting a better amp, if you have 1000 euro to fork out then you may as well buy something like a Maverick at around 600 euro and buy a quality valve amp like something from the Vox AD range. That will bring your tone up more steps than a guitar of ESP standards. There not the best for tone if you ask me, there more just for pure power and evil class. Clean wise, your not going to get much more than a Epiphone or Yamaha can offer at half the price, but then again it totally depends on what you play! Its always good to get a mid range guitar if you have only been playing for a year because you may regret spending so much money on a guitar when your style of playing changes dramitically sometimes for the first few years of playing. I only used to play all these weird chords on acoustic, and I was going to buy a 1000 euro Taylor but then my playing style moved to lead and I'm so glad I didn't buy it because I would not of had enough money to purchase a better electric. But like I said, all depends on you and your taste!
Hey guys, thanks for your answers.
Arhmmm, I like playing heavy metal in general terms, I like Ozzy, Scorpions, In flames, Judas priest, Teräsbetoni (my favourite xD) and all those things.

Maybe it's just GAS and I don't really need to improve my gear? What do you think?
And about my amp, is it so bad? I mean, it's the better one that I've played till the moment, it has really cool heavy sounds, I think my amp is ok. The only thing I hate and I know I can't help it is the noise at insane settings and high gain heavy.
Quote by Shadowe

And about my amp, is it so bad?

YES.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by Vanquish
YES.

Afraid he's right. Your super awesome new Ec-1000 would not nearly be used to its full potential on that amp.

Get a good tube amp, then get a new guitar. Oh, and whatever you buy, make sure you know exactly why youre getting that instead of something else. Find your own sound!
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Its not that the Spider amp is bad...in fact is a crackin' amp, but its not the best for sound quality. Its great point is its variety of tones and coolness but it doesn't have the real growl and punch as a valve amp cranked to the max. Of course valve amps are more expensive than solid state but its one of those things that if you change to valve, you will never want to go back to solid state! Its not a matter of what I would do in your shoes cause I don't really play that kind of stuff, listen to in Flames mind you. But for that kind of music, the high energy of an ESP 1000 is great for it! You can't really improve a whole lot to be honest. You might be better off debating whether or not it plays nicely for you. Find a guitar shop that sells them and ask to play it because your veru interesting in buying it from them and then put it back and say it didn't really fit your needs and then buy cheaper online! Works every time!
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Its not that the Spider amp is bad...in fact is a crackin' amp, but its not the best for sound quality.

Sound quality. Which is the one thing that really matters.

The point of a good amp is to get a good sound out of it first then see how loud you need it to be and get it to go that loud. Dont agree? Imagine the worst sound there is (lets say some1 throwing up) and imagine hearing that REALLY LOUDLY. Does that make you happy?

tone over loudness!
Gear
Marshall jcm900
Ok guys, I'm getting that my amp isn't that good. Now, i'm kinda newbe, what the heck are tube amps, solid state amps(I think mine is of this kind isn't it), valve amps? What are the main diferences? Of what prices are we talking?

Thanks for your answers guys.
an ltd ec 1000 is one of the best guitars in the world...imo...but go with the seymour duncans...dont get emg
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Tube amps and valve amps are that same thing, just different words (I think in the USA they call them tubes and in UK we call them valves but I forget which way round it is).

Taken from the GG&A sticky:

All tube amps

As a general rule, all-tube is the best. Tubes are old technology (1930?s and 1940?s) and have been superceded by transistors almost everywhere, except in audio applications, where they sound more ?natural?. Pretty much all all-tube amps have to be cranked to a loud volume (not necessarily full power, but pretty loud) to sound at their best. This is because they get a lot of their tone from ?power-amp overdrive?- that is, the power-tubes being worked hard at, or close to, full volume. However, it is NOT, in my experience, true that if you can?t play at a loud volume that you shouldn?t buy an all-tube amp (unless you want a non-master volume amp). Most all-tube amps I?ve tried sound AT LEAST as good as SS amps at low volumes, and MUCH better at medium to high volumes. Also, you can buy an attenuator, to connect between your amp and speakers, which lets you get power-tube overdrive at lower volumes.

Master volume versus non-master volume: most old amps (and new ones designed to be vintage-correct) didn?t have pre-amp gain/overdrive controls. The only way to get overdrive was to crank the amp to full volume, or plug an overdrive pedal into the front of the amp. Master volumes have a volume or gain control for the pre-amp, that allows you to get preamp distortion as well. A lot of tone hounds say this doesn?t sound as good, but if you play any kind of modern music that uses overdrive or distortion (basically, rock or anything heavier), you pretty much need a master volume amp.

Another handy trick is that you can use an overdrive pedal to boost the overdrive channel on an all-tube amp. This increases the gain and sustain, but still sounds natural and tube-like- especially if you keep the gain/drive on the pedal low, and the level high.

Solid State Amps

These have a tendency to sound not bad at lower volumes, but sound not so great when turned up. They also tend to be cheap in practice amp sizes, so can be good for a first purchase, for example if you aren?t sure if you?ll stick at guitar. I would advise avoiding ss half-stacks or full-stacks, since for the same price you can normally get an all-tube combo that?ll have better tone. They tend not to react to playing dynamics as well as, or sound as natural/organic as, all-tube amps. SS amps are frequently nowadays being overshadowed by modelling amps.

Modelling Amps

These amps use computer chips (normally) to simulate the tones of classic amps (Marshalls, Fenders, Voxes, Mesa Boogies) on a budget (bar the odd very expensive modelling amp). Normally they don?t sound as good as the real thing, but then they?re a fraction of the price. They can be a good choice if you?re strapped for cash, and play a wide variety of styles.
I have that exact same ESP LTD and it's a great guitar. No tremolo, but that just makes it that much more reliable and eaiser to keep in tune. But i have to agree with everyone here...definitely go for a new amp if you can go for a 5150/6505 or a Marshall (NOT A SOLID STATE MG), that'll make it much eaiser to get an awesome tone for In Flames, Scorpions, and the other bands you listed.
Valve amps range of course, I would really wreckomend a Vox. But then again you can't go wrong with a Marshall but you could be paying up to a thousand euro for it. To be honest mate, I imagine this is kind of annoying you because you have a good amp there and everyone is telling you "buy a valve amp, forget the guitar". I think you should just buy a guitar that really suits you, the amp will do the job perfectly for now for you. Valve amps are for tone freaks I predict and no offense to the bands you mentioned, but they don't excatly have the most exquisite tones on display! The Spider III will no doubt be adequate for your style and playing and any ESP you buy will be of good quality and look great!
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Valve amps range of course, I would really wreckomend a Vox. But then again you can't go wrong with a Marshall but you could be paying up to a thousand euro for it. To be honest mate, I imagine this is kind of annoying you because you have a good amp there and everyone is telling you "buy a valve amp, forget the guitar". I think you should just buy a guitar that really suits you, the amp will do the job perfectly for now for you. Valve amps are for tone freaks I predict and no offense to the bands you mentioned, but they don't excatly have the most exquisite tones on display! The Spider III will no doubt be adequate for your style and playing and any ESP you buy will be of good quality and look great!

'tone freaks'? Well, if you consider people who want to get a better sound after theyve bought new stuff freaks, be my f*kin' guest and play a 3000 dollar guitar thru a 30 dollar amp!

Tone freaks. lol.
Gear
Marshall jcm900
Hahahaha
I think that I know what I'm gonna do, I'll ask for the guitar this christmas, and I'll work this summer in order to buy the amp, or should I do it first the amp and then the guitar?
Tell me what you guys think and what tube amp you recommend me to notice the difference.
Oh, and from christmas to august, that is when I'll be able to aford the amp, it's just 6 or 7 months!! not so much!!

Thanks for your answers till here.
buddy i played the ec at steves a couple of month's ago, and i fell in love with it, too bad i couldn't afford it, so my next investment is going to be an ec-1000 with a new amp, because i have a line6 spider III as well, and an esp ex-50, the guitar is awesome but i want vol/vol/tone, and better pup's so im going to be getting the ec, and um...buy the guitar...your sound isnt going to be the best with the line 6 but you can always get a new amp

EDIT: just saw your post and get the guitar first because a decent amp and a ****ty guitar wont help you too much
Quote by Walternativo
'tone freaks'? Well, if you consider people who want to get a better sound after theyve bought new stuff freaks, be my f*kin' guest and play a 3000 dollar guitar thru a 30 dollar amp!

Tone freaks. lol.

Ah you know what I mean, compared to some people who aren't really bothered about their tone, valve amps I've noticed myself anyway are people who really take their sound and EQ very seriously. Not that anyone who uses Solid State sound bad in the slightest. I mean, well for me anyway when I first started playing I thought the crappy Fender acoustic I had was the best thing on the planet, thats what makes guitars and music special, the thought, hope and the experience of learning to find, and here new and better songs, lyrics, guitars, drums, and whatever! Buy the guitar first like the dude said, guitars are much cooler to have anyway! Much more satisfying to druel than an amp! Spider Amp is not 30 dollars anyway, I know you were only making a point but it has got great reviews from respectable mags and my mate has it and its a blast trying out all the different settings and s**t! Having a valve amp is not going to boost your sound quality by that much but once you do get one, you never want to have anything else! Kinds like cookies...once you've had Maryland cookies with milk...you'll never want another brand, especially not without the milk!!
I'd go with a new amp. Try the Krank Rev Jr., nice little 20W bedroom amp for metal.

I'm getting my EC-1000 this week.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
I think it would be better if U bought a gibson les paul. The chwanka sound is pretty good and your brother would be very pleasured.
Quote by Oreos_own_all
ok well...

the v part is a vagina, and your leg is the penis, work it out from there =D
What is your Pacificas pickup configuration?

Quote by Blakaos
I think it would be better if U bought a gibson les paul. The chwanka sound is pretty good and your brother would be very pleasured.

???

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
What is your Pacificas pickup configuration?

???

Arhm, I don't know the technical words so: There is one near de neck, another one at the middle, and two of them together near de tremolo bar. They're ALL horitzontal. The drawing would be like this, if we consider I as a single pick up: I I II.

xD

Oh btw, the chwnka sound, is it only from gibsons? I mean, how do I get that chwanka sound, like the one in sweet child o mine solos, like a sticky sound, xD do u get me?
For modern music: Eclipse > Les Paul.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
question does it rock
andswer yes. it happens to roll on occasions too.

81 and 60 EMGs are so nice. its so cheap compared to the gibson les pauls. but yeah with 800 dollars Id rather buy a viper and buy a better amp. after selling the stuff u got now.
How much does this bad boy weigh? I'm very interested in it. I play stuff like Metallica, Pantera, Down, but I like to kick in a little Buddy Guy blues and Zep every once in awhile.

I've been looking at the Viper, but this one seems a little more well-rounded I should say.
Damn man, I think I'm gonna have to pull the trigger on this one. Which black is better, the flat or the glossy?

And I heard that the new ones have deeper cutaways, is that true?
IDK if anyones said this yet ...........but...........i dont think your ready for that guitar quite yet...................stick with the yamaha for another year.
to be honest i dont think you know enough to be spending so much money on guitar gear. I don't mean to sound offensive but I mean surely you realise yourself your knowledge of tone and gear is poor?

Put that money in the bank and wait until your ear for tone develops and your knowledge and understanding increase. By then you'll have even more money to spend. Alternatively you could buy something awesome and non-guitar related.

If your gear doesn't sound bad (or good enough) to you you aren't ready for new gear
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Spiders and even more so the Flextone III combos make phenomenal practice amps. The have a variety of tones and you can even use headphones. They aren't anything you want to use live though unless you really have to.

If you want to get the best live sound possible out of a guitar tube amps are the way to go, preferably a head with a 4x12 cab. Its basically 1950s technology with the use of vacuum tubes instead of computer chips and boards like solid state. You're not going to find many good tube amps under a grand, the key word here being good.

Bottom line unless you're in a live band you should be ok with a less expensive amp.
Quote by Elrondo
Spiders and even more so the Flextone III combos make phenomenal practice amps. The have a variety of tones and you can even use headphones. They aren't anything you want to use live though unless you really have to.

If you want to get the best live sound possible out of a guitar tube amps are the way to go, preferably a head with a 4x12 cab. Its basically 1950s technology with the use of vacuum tubes instead of computer chips and boards like solid state. You're not going to find many good tube amps under a grand, the key word here being good.

Bottom line unless you're in a live band you should be ok with a less expensive amp.

so just because you're playing at home it's ok to have a amp that sounds like crap? there's honestly no point in buying an expensive guitar if you're just gonna play it thru a spider (aka WORST PRACTICE AMP EVER)
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Hey again guys. Im gonna go for the guitar, I'll have it for 630€ more or less.

Now, my question is: EMG or Seymour Duncan?

Thanks
EMGs would be better for the music you play, but active pickups often sound terrible through solid state amps.

They are meant to drive tube amps more quickly.

Driving solid state amps is often a painful experience for ears.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
It depends on what you intend on playing mate. If your going to be playing all styles and tones then I would recommend Seymour Duncan as I personally think they have more tonal variety, but on the other hand, if you are basically are only going to be playing heavy as hell s**t then go for EMG's. EMG's are of coure going to sound more than adaquate for the cleaner settings, but maybe not quite up to the standard of a Duncan. Metallica use EMG's and they often play through clean channels and it still sounds great, but then again they can afford an amazing producer and engineer to perfect the guitars, amps, mic placements and so on.
I wreckon you should go for whatever you want mate. I told you before that your tastes and styles and ear for music will change as you progress and its a little risky buying something so big when your not that far on in playing, but in the end of the day, its not that important, its still going to be a great guitar for whatever you may decide to put your fingers to! So go for it by all means! But think hard about whether you realy do wreckon your ready for it! HA!!
Quote by FacingUsAll
EMGs would be better for the music you play, but active pickups often sound terrible through solid state amps.

They are meant to drive tube amps more quickly.

Driving solid state amps is often a painful experience for ears.

Oh my god, mate, this is serious... Are you telling me that active pick ups OFTEN (quite a lot) sound TERRIBLE (I mean, worse than with my actual guitar?) through an amp like mine?

Do you think that something over 800 € is going to sound so bad? even if I have a Spider 3 (which in my opinion is not that bad...)?

Btw, AngryGoldfish Thanks a lot for your answer
No probs! Happy guitar buying!! EMG's don't sound bad at any time, no matter what amp your running them through, even if its a 5watt Kustom amp from Argos! You can't faulter an EMG I'm afraid. Spider Amp III is a great amp, more than enough to provide you with what you will probably need! BUY BUY BUY BUY!! HAHA!
Page 1 of 2