The commander of the B-29 plane that dropped the first atomic bomb, on Hiroshima in Japan, has died. Paul Warfield Tibbets Jr died at his home in Columbus, Ohio, aged 92.

The five-ton "Little Boy" bomb was dropped on the morning of 6 August 1945, killing about 140,000 Japanese, with many more dying later.

On the 60th anniversary of the bombing, the three surviving crew members of the Enola Gay - named after Tibbet's mother - said they had "no regrets".

discuss?
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by seljer
There was a thread on this yesterday

I wasn't here yesterday.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
he killed so many Japanese people
Why'd you have to go and let it die

Quote by master
Go join the army. It's like an FPS without the lag.

Quote by everlong93

the bombs killed a couple of american prisoners of war too
Quote by everlong93

yea, but in doing so help to end the war and save the lives of thousands more that would of died
You are now blinking manually
Quote by Thedarkwolf
it amazes me that he had no regrets

Same here. Orders or not he's had a hand (at least 1/3rd responsibility) in one of the largest mass killings ever. If I'd done it I wouldn't be able to apologise enough.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
No regrets for being the man who dropped a bomb that killed hundreds of thousands of japanese civilians? No regrets at all? Does this man have a conscience? I hope he is currently enjoying his stay in Hell.
Member No.3 of The 'I Watched Dragonball Z and Vegetas Scouter said my power level is over 9000 Club'
PM redh0tchilip3pp or rizo299 to Join

Co-Founder of the 'Magikarp was blatantly the best Pokemon' Club
PM me to join
The atom bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki is a complex issue. On the one hand, it may have been wrong of the US to drop such a weapon on cities with little military value. But on the other hand the Japanese mindset is to fight to the last man and he will go out and take as many of enemies as he can.
The fact that the US dropped the bomb on a city with little military value was actually their point. At the time the US didn't know about the radiation, they just thought that it was a bigger bang. They wanted to scare the Japanese into surrendering. If the US hadn't dropped the bomb and continued to fight a ground war into mainland Japan, millions of soldiers would've died on both sides. As far as Tibbets goes, he and his crew were just following orders and I, for one, am sorry to see him go.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
Quote by Keyphur
yea, but in doing so help to end the war and save the lives of thousands more that would of died

this is a touchy subject of whether the bomb killed less people than an invasion, i believe the bomb killed thousands upon thousands of people that wouldn't of died, people are still dying now.

Help me to live.

While Japan was grossly militaristic and nationalistic during this period, by the atomic bomb was dropped it is known and recorded that a significant number of its politicians was ready to give in. Leading from that notion, the a-bomb being dropped on Japan was unnecessary and there were a multiplicity of less devastating alternatives, such as a demonstration of an atomic bomb blast to the Japanese on an uninhabited island or further US - Japan discussion.
Hiroshima and Nagasaki rather than being a necessity to halting the Pacific War was in fact a means of illustrating to the Russians (who were of considerable concern at the time) the power that the US held and were willing to use.

/conspiracy
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.
Heard about this a few days ago.

I don't think an atomic bomb of any sort will be dropped again for a long, long time.

Edit - just so you know guys more people died in flame bombing and such like in Germany during WW2. Around 660,000 people, to be precise.

Not that it's the point.
Quote by Keyphur

you clearly didnt do history eh, you dont know that it was a 'test' to see the devastation on humans, and they used that as en excuse to drop the bomb, japan had already surrendered
Quote by andyscoot
you clearly didnt do history eh, you dont know that it was a 'test' to see the devastation on humans, and they used that as en excuse to drop the bomb, japan had already surrendered

Where did you hear that?
Quote by andyscoot

I thought the japanese were so slow at the surrendering process that they went and dropped the other bomb?

edit: and it still took them a couple of days after that
Quote by Jackolas

I don't think an atomic bomb of any sort will be dropped again for a long, long time.

Edit - just so you know guys more people died in flame bombing and such like in Germany during WW2. Around 660,000 people, to be precise.

Not that it's the point.

but the atom bomb was just once, and it killed 140,000, im sure there were tens, if not hundreds of that kind, so in proportion, its not very big compared to hiroshima
Quote by seljer
I thought the japanese were so slow at the surrendering process that they went and dropped the other bomb?

propaganda (sp?)

well, according to g.c.s.e modern world history, they tested it in the desert, but they wanted to see the eeffects, in a real situation, and the japanese had alreay surrendered, but, the american people didnt know that, cause of censorship and what-not, so their excuse for doing it was that they hadnt surrendered

EDIT: its probably me being wrong, but i could have sworn it was what i said, anyway if it is, sorry
Last edited by andyscoot at Nov 3, 2007,
Quote by seljer

edit: and it still took them a couple of days after that

Yeah, they hoped to be able to come to a bargain for their peace and not submit to the 'unconditional surrender' the US wanted. They were worried that their emperor would get kicked out of his position by the Allies.
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.
Quote by andyscoot
propaganda (sp?)

well, according to g.c.s.e modern world history, they tested it in the desert, but they wanted to see the eeffects, in a real situation, and the japanese had alreay surrendered, but, the american people didnt know that, cause of censorship and what-not, so their excuse for doing it was that they hadnt surrendered

than the japanese should have been more vocal about their surrender, their problem if they didn't get it out

and I can't be bothered to hit google or anything, but wasn't the leadership in japan still all crazy samurai fight to your last breath kamikaze whatever even if most of the population were already tired with the entire war thing?

edit: yeah, the emperor thing sounds right
i dont care, you guys are probably right, but however, i do know that it was an atrocity, a needless atrocity

well, according to g.c.s.e modern world history, they tested it in the desert, but they wanted to see the eeffects, in a real situation

They did test it, twice, in the desert. Once at a place called Trinity on the white sands missile range in New Mexico and again in the Nevada desert. The first one at Trinity was just to see the range of the explosion but the second one in Nevada was a more elaborate test, with dummy houses, various structures, and other "targets" spaced at different ranges from ground zero. The bombing of Japan was hardly any kind of test.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .

well, according to g.c.s.e modern world history, they tested it in the desert, but they wanted to see the eeffects, in a real situation

They did test it, twice, in the desert. Once at a place called Trinity on the white sands missile range in New Mexico and again in the Nevada desert. The first one at Trinity was just to see the range of the explosion but the second one in Nevada was a more elaborate test, with dummy houses, various structures, and other "targets" spaced at different ranges from ground zero. The bombing of Japan was hardly any kind of test.

Because dummies and real people are the same.

Help me to live.

Quote by andyscoot

Because dummies and real people are the same.

i'm pretty sure that they were aware that:

a) it worked
b) it created a hell of a explosion
He did have regrets, the US media just doesn't want it's citizens to hate the country even more. If you watch the original tapes, after he drops the bomb you can hear him say something like "Oh God...what have we done?" He had regrets the moment it happened.
Quote by opticon
The atom bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki is a complex issue. On the one hand, it may have been wrong of the US to drop such a weapon on cities with little military value. But on the other hand the Japanese mindset is to fight to the last man and he will go out and take as many of enemies as he can.
The fact that the US dropped the bomb on a city with little military value was actually their point. At the time the US didn't know about the radiation, they just thought that it was a bigger bang. They wanted to scare the Japanese into surrendering. If the US hadn't dropped the bomb and continued to fight a ground war into mainland Japan, millions of soldiers would've died on both sides. As far as Tibbets goes, he and his crew were just following orders and I, for one, am sorry to see him go.

Totally agree, although Nagasaki was only the second target, the original target was Kokura, they abandoned that city because of low cloud cover. Nagasaki was second choice because they had one of the biggest Japanese ports, that did serve a big military value as many Japenese were out at sea fighting for the pacific The Japanese surrendered mainly because the Americans threatened to drop a bomb on the Imperial Family.

Yes, I am a geek. But I am very interested in WWII

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Jackolas

Not that it's the point.

True, but they had years to kill those 660,000 people. The atomic bomb was incredibly quick.
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by HaKattack
True, but they had years to kill those 660,000 people. The atomic bomb was incredibly quick.

...what?
Quote by ThunderFingers
...what?

I was trying to say that the stat he posted was over the whole war, while the atomic bomb's effect were more or less instant.

I'm tired, I can't articulate very well right now.
<Han> I love Hitler