Page 1 of 2
Okay, I played an SLO tonight, but I still haven't found a 6505 to demo yet. Without a doubt, the Soldano SLO sounds goddamned f*cking good. It's everything I would want in an amp. It's the perfect "dark" metal amp.

But, my question is, does it sound 300% better than a 6505? Because, new, it's EXACTLY three times the price of a new Peavey 6505. How close does the 6505 come? If not 300% "better," then how much percent "better" in your opinion? Where does the Peavey fall short in comparison to the SLO? Anyone who's heard both, could you please characterize the differences in tonal characteristics? I read on another metal forum that they have "different tones," but no one really characterized the differences, or described them in any detail.

Soldano SLO-100 Super Lead Overdrive $3,399 USD
• Dark, sexy, growly tone.
• Extremely high-gain.
• Overdrive sounds good even at < '1' master volume.
• More "bass-ey."
• More "gutsy" midrange.

Peavey 6505 $1,099 USD
• ________, ________, ________, tone.
• Extremely high-gain?
• Overdrive sounds good even at < '1' master volume?
• More "treble-ey?"
• Slightly less "gutsy" midrange?

By the way, I'm leaning toward the 6505 over the 6505+, since I read in the 5150/6505 thread that it's a little bit "darker" and more "bass-ey," and has a bit more gain than the plus version.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 3, 2007,
I'm pretty sure you'll find the soldano much better than the 6505. I'm not sure if it'll be "300 % better" since it's a hard thing to judge exactly.

That's all I'm going to say for now since I don't own one ^^
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
I can't help to much but I can say the 6505 is great at low volumes, I've got the 5150 which is essentially the same and it barely goes above one (home use mainly) and it still sounds amazing.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
you could get a soldano avenger but that doesnt have the other channel so your stuck wit a single channel but its more punchier than the slo and like half the price... i dont like peaveys so go with the Soldano =D
Quote by LEVEL4

By the way, I'm leaning toward the 6505 over the 6505+, since I read in the 5150/6505 thread that it's a little bit "darker" and more "bass-ey," and has a bit more gain than the plus version.

That's a load of crap I'll tell you why.
The only difference between the original amps and their corresponding +/II version other than an extra EQ (which is v. useful) is an extra preamp valve.
This extra valve gives you slightly more headroom, so slightly nicer cleans.
However, the extra valve means that it has slightly (it's negligible) less PREamp gain.
But because of the fact it's 120 valve watts, and that the difference is so small, you won't be able to tell the difference unless you really crank them head-to-head at the highest of volumes, by which time, you'll be deaf.

I'll try to get clips of my 6505+ soon.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by LeeSmellyFinger
you could get a soldano avenger but that doesnt have the other channel so your stuck wit a single channel but its more punchier than the slo and like half the price... i dont like peaveys so go with the Soldano
Thanks! I was wondering what the lower models offered or didn't offer. Guitar Center carries both the SLO and the Avenger, but they didn't have the Avenger set up at the time. The Avenger has all of the gain of the SLO, just not some of the bells and whistles, like an FX loop and whatnot? Don't really care about different channels. I'm only after one sound at a time anyway. And I know you don't necessarily buy a Soldano for its cleans, but does the Avenger compromise on its cleans?

Oh, and why it it punchier? Does that mean that they changed something, and isn't EXACTLY the same overdrive as the SLO?

Also, the much less-expensive Soldano AstroVerb, I can't find to demo. I would be totally fine with fewer Watts. In fact, I WANT a lower-Wattage amp. I totally don't need a 100-Watt anything. But the Astro doesn't have the same high-gain circuit as either the SLO or the Avenger, right?
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Quote by Yngwi3
The only difference between the original amps and their corresponding +/II version other than an extra EQ (which is v. useful) is an extra preamp valve.
However, the extra valve means that it has slightly (it's negligible) less PREamp gain.
But because of the fact it's 120 valve watts, and that the difference is so small, you won't be able to tell the difference unless you really crank them head-to-head at the highest of volumes, by which time, you'll be deaf.

Thanks for clearing that up. So, it really doesn't matter (aside from the EQ) which one you get? I mean, blindfolded, it be a bitch to tell the difference, right? I was planning to pull two of the power tubes, if I went with the 6505, to drop it down to 60 Watts anyway.

Exactly. I find the EQ very useful.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by Yngwi3
Exactly. I find the EQ very useful.
How long have you had your 6505+?

Since March.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

are you really ready to spend $3400 on an amp?

Have you considered the many other great amps? Bogner Uberschall? Framus Cobra? Diezel? Diamond?
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Ask Dave, I think he tried out a SLO or a similar Soldano.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
The SLO makes me grin ear to ear, but it isn't "300%" better. It really just depends on how much you want to spend and whether or not you're completely in love with it. If I had that much money for an amp there'd be no doubt man, but I aint gonna take out a loan for an amp.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
There's no comparison between an SLO and 6505 (imo). The SLO blows the 6505 out of the water completely. The 6505 can sound pretty harsh and gets muddy where as the SLO never does. The SLO will bring out your mistakes a lot more, but in the end will force you to be a much better player. I actually found the SLO to be a more brighter sounding amp, but it could've just been how I set my EQ.

As for the difference between the 6505 and 6505+, what Yngwi says it true, however, I find the gain of the 6505+ to sound less harsh.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by jerm__
are you really ready to spend $3400 on an amp?
NO!!!

Quote by jerm__
Have you considered the many other great amps? Bogner Uberschall? Framus Cobra? Diezel? Diamond?
NOT YET!!! Help . . . chronic . . . GAS syndrome . . . agghghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by MatrixClaw
There's no comparison between an SLO and 6505. The SLO blows the 6505 out of the water completely.
When I played the SLO Friday night, I just about peed my pants it sounded so good. It just sounds "right." Mean, dark, growly, sexy. But, with soul.

Quote by MatrixClaw
The SLO will bring out your mistakes a lot more, but in the end will force you to be a much better player.
I never quite understand what people mean by this. Are you saying it's less "sloppy?" My playing sounds kinda the same no matter what I play through.

Quote by MatrixClaw
I actually found the SLO to be a more brighter sounding amp, but it could've just been how I set my EQ.
Interesting. I finally got to play a 6505+ today for about six hours. I thought it was fine. But, I thought it was "brighter" than the "dark-sounding" SLO. While still a good-sounding amp, the 6505+ sounds a bit more shrill in its highs, and its tone seems a bit more sterile to me.

Quote by MatrixClaw
As for the difference between the 6505 and 6505+, what Yngwi says it true, however, I find the gain of the 6505+ to sound less harsh.
Interesting. After playing the 6505+ all afternoon, I thought I'd get the non-plus version instead. If the non-plus comes with slightly more gain, I'll take it, plus I'll save $60 on the selling price, plus $96 in sales tax (since I have to buy it online)—I'll take that too. But, if it actually sounds different, and its leads sound "more harsh," I won't.

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 4, 2007,
Quote by Say Ocean
And yes I would rate it as 300% better than that beehive of an amp.
Oh, great! Thanks! Now that I was all set on getting the 6505 today, you've managed to COMPLETELY screw that up for me! Thanks, Say Ocean! DAMN! GAS, GAS, GAS . . .

Quote by aznrockerdude
Ask Dave, I think he tried out a SLO or a similar Soldano.

i've only tried the avenger... very nice. But at the price, you have a lot of options...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The 5150 is a SLo clone to let you know but its a ****ty copy. The SLO ****s all over the 5150 but the price tags are very large gaps.

You can find a better sounding amp at a much lower price than a SLO. For darker stuff check out, a Framus Cobra, Mako Dorado, Splawn Nitro, Bogner Uberschall, VHT Deliverence or VHT UL/CL

All amps listed have a nice dark crunchy tone to them all for less than a SLo and most have alot more features and bells and whistles. At this price range any amp is within grasp
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Syn Harvest
The 5150 is a SLo clone to let you know but its a ****ty copy. The SLO ****s all over the 5150 but the price tags are very large gaps.

You can find a better sounding amp at a much lower price than a SLO. For darker stuff check out, a Framus Cobra, Mako Dorado, Splawn Nitro, Bogner Uberschall, VHT Deliverence or VHT UL/CL

All amps listed have a nice dark crunchy tone to them all for less than a SLo and most have alot more features and bells and whistles. At this price range any amp is within grasp

I would definately look into those man. The Uberschall, Cobra and Deliverance are probably more brutal than the SLO. Thats my guess, although im not too sure.

I've also heard the Cobra and VHT's being a little dry, but the Uberschall is definately something to look at man. http://youtube.com/watch?v=JqBgIBbyVgI ....mmm.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
if you really think the amp sounded so amazing you should just buy it. i have a 5150 and i love it it has lots and lots of gain and manyyy bands can vouch for that. but im sure the slo will kick the crap out of it, and it should if your paying 3x more. you should also check out other amps like vht pitbulls, framus dragons/cobras, h&k, diezels, splawn, engl, or anything off this website http://rocksolidamps.com/ .

if you want to compare, i know opeth used 5150's at some point, as did unearth, and killswitch used them combination with their framus which sound reall good.

believe it or not sum 41 used soldano amps.

if you wanna hear engls go to http://rocksolidamps.com/ they have a lot of clips of all their different amps, also jag panzer and nevermore's guitarist chris broderick used engl's which sound realllyy good but i dont think its what your looking for.

unearth used vht and their most recent album. both the vht pitbul and d120 are good but they sound more like a marshall on speed and riods at the same time, its a really raw sound,

adam jones im pretty sure used diezel amps (either VH4 or herbert somethin like that)

also not for you but alot of the cat amps are really good but i dont think its the sound your looking for, im just throwing it in there because it seems you dont have a problem with money
Look into the Splawn Nitro its being called a Super Uberschall. Dark with lots of low end saturation but still very tight and articulate. It sounds amazing i havent had a chance to personally play one as they were only released but a few weeks ago. But there supposed to be awesome. The clips i have heard sound ridiculous. I'm GASin hard for one
Quote by Syn Harvest
Look into the Splawn Nitro

woah...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFEd342t5Ig&NR=1

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sLeL3u3ZEKc

Syn you gave me GAS
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Last edited by Yngwi3 at Nov 4, 2007,
Quote by Yngwi3

woah...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sLeL3u3ZEKc

Syn you gave me GAS

Ya i know it sounds awesome. And the guys over at HCAF who already have it are saying that it sounds 10x better in person. Says the low end is so ****ing brutal it hits your chest like a ton of bricks
Quote by Yngwi3

I don't know about 6505s, but what you're saying goes against all I know about amps. Extra preamp valves = extra gain stages = more gain.

EDIT:
Unless it has more controls, then it could be used for gain recovery; in which case the overall gain should still be the same.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Nov 4, 2007,
Quote by epiguitar77
if you wanna hear engls go to http://rocksolidamps.com/ they have a lot of clips of all their different amps, also jag panzer and nevermore's guitarist chris broderick used engl's which sound realllyy good but i dont think its what your looking for.
YES! I f*ckin' LOVE the Engl sound! Guess that's why I bought an Engl preamp, huh? And yeah, I listened to the demos at Rock Solid before I bought it, and THAT'S what totally sold me on the Engl! If I could find a head that sounded like an Engl (uh, gee, like an Engl, maybe?), I would be DAMNED happy.

Quote by Syn Harvest
You can find a better sounding amp at a much lower price than
a SLO. For darker stuff check out, a Framus Cobra, Mako Dorado, Splawn Nitro, Bogner Uberschall, VHT Deliverence or VHT UL/CL
Thanks! But, you guys are making me SICK! (with GAS) Whoa, those amps sound f*cking goooooood! I'm listening to the Mako Dorado ($1,650) samples now. Half the price of a the SLO.

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 5, 2007,
the one thing you need to know about most all peavey tube amps is that they have a master volume, which means you dont have to pull your power tubes like you were saying to get BROOTALZ distortion...

and plus,
the 6505+ doesn't completely obliterate your bank account
Quote by LEVEL4
Thanks! But, you guys are making me SICK! (with GAS) Whoa, those amps sound f*cking goooooood! I'm listening to the Mako Dorado ($1,650) samples now. Half the price of a the SLO.

Ya the dorados pretty badass one-channel metal monster not to expensive either
But nowhere to demo the Makos in Los Angeles? Guitar Center does carry VHT, but I don't know where you would demo any of the others here.

you're going to have a rough time demoing a Dorado, he makes them to order, about a 3 month wait. The Nitro wait time was into January if you ordered last month. The new VHT Sig X is supposed to be a monster too. I'm gassin for all 3 of these, lol.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
SLO absolutely kills the peavey in terms of balls! not necessarily gain, but clear, transparent power - nicer voiced compared to the peavey also
Ya i forgot about the new VHT Sig-X its supposed to be a monster as well but i hear there still working out some things with it
Quote by davedoom
SLO absolutely kills the peavey in terms of balls! not necessarily gain, but clear, transparent power - nicer voiced compared to the peavey also
Well, I bet your Engl Blackmore has balls up the ass! (ew!) Yeah, the Soldano really has lots of balls (e.g., solid bass and mid-range "guts"). I have to go to Guitar Center in a few minutes. The Hollywood GC has a VHT on display, but I dunno about the South Bay GC, the one where I'm going.

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 4, 2007,
Quote by LEVEL4
Well, I bet your Engl Blackmore has balls up the ass!

ahem! ummm, i think that means good? i dont really want to know, but it does whip a certain amount of (ass). ok enough of this

amp.is.good.
Quote by Syn Harvest
Ya i forgot about the new VHT Sig-X its supposed to be a monster as well but i hear there still working out some things with it

oh yeah, any problems you've heard of? If it's like VHT's other offerings, it will be quite a while before the models actually show up after they are announced, lol.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Page 1 of 2