well my friend is interested in buying a combo tube amp and he asked whether after he saved up some more money whether he could buy a cab and they would work toegther (peavey valve king something) do they both need to be thhe same make?

(plus i didnt know the answer)
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Last edited by ChazBcWarlock at Nov 3, 2007,
As long as the amp has a 16 ohm speaker output it'll work fine with any 4x12 on the market at the moment. A lot of combos have this output, and pretty much all heads do. Just remember to match the impedance on the cab with the impedance on the amp - as a rule, 16 ohms for 4x12s, 8 ohms for 2 x 12s
ok thanks so a valve king 212 combo will match a valve king 412 cab?
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
The brands don't have to match. The cab has to be capable of handling the amp's wattage, and the ohms need to match up.

If he's looking at a Valveking, he'd be much better off getting the head and pairing it with a different brand of speakers. The hot item today is Avatar, and it's an excellent choice for the VK. The stock speakers in the VK simply aren't very good at all. I'd never buy a VK cab.

edit: just saw you're in the UK. Forget Avatar, but find another decent 2x12 to pair it with.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ yeah, framus is generally the one suggested for the UK/europe- haven't tried it, but a 2x12 loaded with v30's from a respected manufacturer for £200 is generally a pretty good deal in europe, as long as the cab isn't made from papier mache...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
so would the combo work with a framus cab?
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
the peavey website claims it has external speaker outputs, but doesn't say what the impedance is- and the manual isn't downloading properly for me...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?