This is actually a very real dilemma I have.

No amount of warm up exercises warm my fingers up. I live in a very big house with central heating but as students we cant afford to keep it on so my hands are constantly cold. My hands are also thin and very big with long fingers.

I need to be adequately warmed up because of the pieces I am playing. I play them slow but I cant speed up past a certain point because my hands just dont warm up! Yesterday I was playing for 3 hours straight learning several pieces. My hands were cold to the touch despite doing work.

Any way of warming them up? When on the rare occasions we put the heating on, and my hands are warm, I can rip up and down the neck easily and smoothly and play these pieces at speed. However, the house is always cold and my fingers a cumbersome and sluggish.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
I feel your pain. That happens to me a lot, usually at school. I either have to sit on my hands whenever I'm not playing, or wear those thin cloth gloves. Sorry I can't suggest more.
Dude, get some normal gloves (or just the left handed one) and cut most of the palm out and the fingers off so basically just the back of your hand is covered. Apparently the back of your hand is where you lose most heat, and covering this part should help alot.

I know this from experience, as i have a couple of these custom gloves myself, a royal marines wife friend of mine makes them..useful for keeping hands warm in the feild and also keeping full use of both hands Try it out...i suppose whatever warmup you do your hands are gonna get cold...its just keeping the buggers warm after you warm up
Run your hands under the hot tap for a little while, helps me quite a bit. Flex your fingers, curl them into fists and release while under the water.
ohai little sig.
Thanks for all the advice I ll try em out
Quote by grunger
umm wouldnt putting your hands under water suck? because that screws with you calus's?

A lot of that has to do with just how developed the caluses(sp?) are. If you've been playing for over 3 years or so it shouldn't be too much of a problem , but someone who is closer to being a beginner might get effected by the water.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Would stuff like IcyHot or DeepHeat work before a gig. Im performing in December and will be carrying equipment to the place (10 min walk) and Im just wondering if that would be safe to do.