Hey, very quick question. I'm looking into getting a peavey valve king, and in the local shops its around £300 for the 50W 1x12, or £400 for the 100W 2x12. Is it worth the extra £100 for the 100W, given that i also plan on buying the boss blues driver pedal for around £60?
(also it's the student loan that's paying for it... )

Edit: i tried the 112 and thought the distortion could be better, so im considering getting a DS-1 at some point too
Last edited by YankelD at Nov 3, 2007,
The 112 is loooud, so if that's what you're worried about you'll be fine.
Haha, cool. Just been looking into it and the 212 has a couple extra knobs for presence and resonance, but I plan on stocking up on pedals anyway so I guess they're not really necessary. Cheers!
Yeah the 112 is all most people need so get that - then please do me a favour and don't buy a DS-1! You could get a proper overdrive pedal with the cash you've saved...
Saved isn't really the word... I'm just in less debt. But yeah, I don't plan on rushing into buying an overdrive pedal straight away. I tried the 112 with the blues driver and really liked that, and I currently have a dunlop Hendrix wah that I reckon'll sound nice with it. I'm about to head back into Sound Control to give it another try, chances are I'll buy it today. Thanks for advice etc.
The 112 is a decent value amp. A powerful valve amp for a low price.

At the price of the 212, there are better amps out there you could/should be looking at.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
You can add the presence knob if you know how to solder and read schematics. Also, I've read some good things if you replace one of the 12ax7s to a 12at7. It smooths the distortion, so an overdrive/distortion pedal would sound much nicer through it.
Quote by slatsmania

At the price of the 212, there are better amps out there you could/should be looking at.

Like what?
Quote by Shad11
Like what?

Marshall DSL401, Laney VC30, maybe the new Sound City SC-30 or 40.

In the US, those amps are upwards of twice the price of the VK. By you, they're almost the same price (or lower!). Certainly in the same ballpark. All would be much better choices than the budget VK, IMHO.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I recommend the Laney VC30 thats cheaper and is a 212
/CENTER]
Quote by slatsmania
Marshall DSL401, Laney VC30, maybe the new Sound City SC-30 or 40.

In the US, those amps are upwards of twice the price of the VK. By you, they're almost the same price (or lower!). Certainly in the same ballpark. All would be much better choices than the budget VK, IMHO.

+1

of course, it depends what you play- if you want an american-voiced amp, the valveking is probably a better choice than a vc30. But generally, I agree.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?