Hi!

Well, I've been playing my marshall dsl401 for a while now, and, well, the cleans just don't seem right. I always look for a more fenderish clean, I think the marshall has to much mid in nature. Well, the OD is fine, but the clean I'd like to be more fenderish, and I was looking at those boss fender pedals; I'm searching for the cleans john mayer often uses, but that can also be turned up to has that really nasty eric clapton overdrive he uses on stage.

Which of the two pedals would match me best ? The deluxe reverb or the bassman, clapton uses a tweed amp, perhaps the bassman ? I thought john mayer is more fender deluxe reverb/dumble, I don't know.

Any suggestions ?
You probably wouldn't get as close to a Fender clean tone as you're thinking. Remember that these will still be going over the clean channel of your amp which isn't doing it for you, and is still going to give a Marshall sound. However, out of the two, I'd say the Deluxe Reverb is the sound that you're after.
You can't really silence the Marshall tone. It's a Marshall amp, so it's going to sound like a Marshall amp. You can get it to sound less Marshally, but it will still be there. Best thing to do is try it out. It might work better than I think it will - I haven't tried it myself.
i kinda got my marshall to sound like a fender amp, since when my band used to cover last train home by lostprophets i got my guitar to sounds exactly like Lee Gazes, so it can be done although i have a tsl100 so idk what kinda big difference that will make, its still not as i would like it but still im on a budget since im jobless LOL
You won't get any sort of fender tone out of the DSL. In fact the only marshall that'll even come close is the 'Bluesbreaker' combo? It doesn't exactly sound like a Fender, but it does bloody great cleans all the same.

I haven't had a chance to try those pedals yet although they strike me as a somewhat bizarre idea. For the price you could pick up some sort of Equalizer or preamp. After all, modelling pedals are just a very complicated type of EQ...

I strongly suggest you try using a 12AT7 valve in your amp's phase inverter slot.
It'll change the character of your amp quite a bit and greatly improve your cleans. Brighter power tubes might also help too.
Hey, i've got a DSL401 too, and there's no way you're gonna get fender cleans out of it.
The clean channel really isnt anything special.

If you want fender cleans, buy a fender. The only marshalls i know about that will get anywhere close are the Bluesbreaker combo and JTM45 head. But even then, they're still gonna sound like Marshalls
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
The only ones close to Fender cleans are the Bluesbreaker, JTM45 and Major.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
If you upgrade again, why not try a Randall MTS? It seems like it does what your after.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
You're not going to achieve anything by buying one of those pedals. Start saving up for a Fender amp, instead.
Quote by LeeSmellyFinger
i kinda got my marshall to sound like a fender amp, since when my band used to cover last train home by lostprophets i got my guitar to sounds exactly like Lee Gazes, so it can be done although i have a tsl100 so idk what kinda big difference that will make, its still not as i would like it but still im on a budget since im jobless LOL

i think the tsl 122/100 was supposed to have cleaned up cleans when matched vs a dsl 401 or tsl 601
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
A JCM 900 with 6L6s still sounds Marshally, but a bit fatter. You'll get close.
Hi, I'm Peter
A lot of Marshall owners that i talk to say: "If you buy a Marshall it will only ever sound like a Marshall"

Why they say this, i don't know because I've never owned one, but i thought I'd say it anyway...
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
A lot of Marshall owners that i talk to say: "If you buy a Marshall it will only ever sound like a Marshall"

Why they say this, i don't know because I've never owned one, but i thought I'd say it anyway...

This is correct.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Yeah, I agree, marshall stays marshall, but I got another, more complicated idea :

If I buy a line splitter, I could drive one line into my marshall input, and use the od-channels, and the other line would go into one of those boss fender pedals, and then, straight in my effect loops return, so I bypass the marshall pre-amp, and use a fender instead. Only the final amplification to the speaker would then be by my marhsallesque tubes, is this an good idea, or just bad for the amp ?
Quote by Dirk Gently
A JCM 900 with 6L6s still sounds Marshally, but a bit fatter. You'll get close.

thats close, Engl Blackmore is the Royal flush in terms of Fendery cleans, Marshall roar
Yeah, I agree, marshall stays marshall, but I got another, more complicated idea :

If I buy a line splitter, I could drive one line into my marshall input, and use the od-channels, and the other line would go into one of those boss fender pedals, and then, straight in my effect loops return, so I bypass the marshall pre-amp, and use a fender instead. Only the final amplification to the speaker would then be by my marhsallesque tubes, is this an good idea, or just bad for the amp ?
That's actually a clever idea, though I wouldn't bother. For a start the biggest difference between the Marshall and Fender is in the power tubes anyway, so it might sound convincing at low volume but not a gig volume. To be honest, I still maintain that changing your phase inverter tube to an AT7 will get you closest to the sound you're after...
Quote by Canucks486

I was actually gonna suggest something like that. The cleans on my JCM 900 (tubes are 5881's) and the cleans could still be improved.

And with that idea, you can't use your FX loop for other units.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
I thought those Boss pedals were supposed to replicate a cranked amp, not clean?

besides they sound like ****, from every sample i've heard.

sell the DSL401, maybe get a JTM45 clone? they were modeled after Bassmans.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by igotabcrich32
I thought those Boss pedals were supposed to replicate a cranked amp, not clean?

besides they sound like ****, from every sample i've heard.

sell the DSL401, maybe get a JTM45 clone? they were modeled after Bassmans.

if you turn the gain town, they're clean fenders with reverb and vibrato too