Alright, my parents are bitching out at me because I want to buy a used Fender P-Bass for $125. It's not my dream bass, but it is a $500 bass for $125. I got the guy who's selling it to send me some pictures, and from what I can tell, it's an actual Fender. The main issue is the distinct possibility of this guy ripping me off; either he knows nothing about basses and just happens to own a decent one, knows a lot about basses and doesn't want to spend a lot of time trying to find someone who'll buy used for a price close to the wholesale, or his bass is a broken piece of **** and he's trying to rip me off. My plan right now is to bring a small amp to test the thing on, in case he tries to the pull the "Oh, I don't have an amp so you'll just have to take my word for it" card.

What do you guys think? And what do you guys think of the Fender P-Bass in general?
Get it dude, even if it's ****ed up you can get it repaired.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
^Yeah. Even if the electronics are completely borked, $125 isn't a bad deal.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
If he has an internet connection, odds are that he knows what he has.

If a 60 year old lady at our local pawn shops knows that the hardshell case I offered her $20 for are around $200 new, anybody can know anything about used music crap if they can type www.ebay.com

People aren't as evil as society makes it out to be, he probably knows what he has and is tired of selling it.
unless it's totally torn-up, i say buy it. chances are it's a MIM(made in mexico), but thats ok. the Fender P is an awsome bass, and it will always be worth at least what you paid for it. tell your parents it's a good investment, as these usually sell for around $300 to $400 used. the deal is too good to pass-up. good luck!
Unless you have some major issues with the neck or body (and I mean MAJOR issues), this is a good deal, even if you have to replace the electronics or tuners /bridge. Modding a P bass is fairly easy.

My thoughts on the P bass? I love the sound and the bass. Some people find them limiting in their sound, but god, what a great sound that can be used for punk, ska, reggae, R & B, classic rock...you get the picture.
Quote by anarkee
Unless you have some major issues with the neck or body (and I mean MAJOR issues), this is a good deal, even if you have to replace the electronics or tuners /bridge. Modding a P bass is fairly easy.

My thoughts on the P bass? I love the sound and the bass. Some people find them limiting in their sound, but god, what a great sound that can be used for punk, ska, reggae, R & B, classic rock...you get the picture.

Thanks. The main band I play in is funk rock kinda thing, a lot like RHCP.
yeah, If everything else was very playable I'd buy the thing even without working electronics for that price.. .but then again I love working on instruments. you can replace all the electronics with a pup better than a stock MIM for under $70 easily, TA-DA! a better than stock MIM for the price of a squire.

If there's nothing wrong with the neck or body go for it!

edit* and you won't get RHCP tone out of a p-bass, it's not as articulate and bright as that (not a con, just different tone).
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Nov 3, 2007,
Quote by BlueShox
If he has an internet connection, odds are that he knows what he has.

If a 60 year old lady at our local pawn shops knows that the hardshell case I offered her $20 for are around $200 new, anybody can know anything about used music crap if they can type www.ebay.com

People aren't as evil as society makes it out to be, he probably knows what he has and is tired of selling it.

idk. People are pretty damn evil. I'm the gear forum mod, and I have to say: people selling stuff online can be the nicest people out there, or they can be the devil pretending to be the nicest person out there.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by Copius
Well, I got it. It's a MIM, and the pickups are a little out of place, but everything else works great. I now own a Fender P-Bass.

congrats!! now, if possible take it to your local shop, buy some strings and have them install them for you, and have them do a set-up. that'll cost another $25 or $30, but will solve all your needs. they'll adjust the p-ups, intonation, action and truss rod. and then your great deal will play, and sound, like a million bucks.
Brilliant! Great deal. Keep us updated with how it is. Wish I could find a bargain like that
signature
Quote by UtBDan
idk. People are pretty damn evil. I'm the gear forum mod, and I have to say: people selling stuff online can be the nicest people out there, or they can be the devil pretending to be the nicest person out there.

I have to agree on this one.

I once bought a Mexican Fender P bass which was a real bargain, I later discovered that the neck was severely twisted and the truss rod nut was worn away. It was a piece of useless junk. I personally sold it on honestly as a project piece with a useless neck with quite a loss. But there are people out there who either advertise dishonestly or just have no idea.

But, as UtBDan said, there are some wicked people out there and through buying and selling God known how many pieces of equipment. I've met some pretty cool people and has reaffirmed my belief that bassists are the nicest musicians you'll ever meet!
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
congrats!! now, if possible take it to your local shop, buy some strings and have them install them for you, and have them do a set-up. that'll cost another $25 or $30, but will solve all your needs. they'll adjust the p-ups, intonation, action and truss rod. and then your great deal will play, and sound, like a million bucks.

I definately plan to do that in the future. I say "in the future" because buying the bass cleaned me out! It plays great now, and that's probably just the pickups and the wood. I'm probably gonna buy new straplocks though; if I didn't have my bass-calices, those things would have sliced me up pretty bad while i was trying to put the strap on.

EDIT: How long does it usually take for them to do that? My current plan is to sell my old POS, but if it's gonna take them a week in the shop to get to my bass, then I want to keep my old one around until i get the new one back so i can still practice.
Last edited by Copius at Nov 4, 2007,
Quote by Copius

EDIT: How long does it usually take for them to do that? My current plan is to sell my old POS, but if it's gonna take them a week in the shop to get to my bass, then I want to keep my old one around until i get the new one back so i can still practice.

your timing will determine that. if the shop is not too busy, they can usually do it right away, and will usually let you watch, ask questions, and learn. so try to catch them on off-peak times of the day. calling ahead might help. it's only about a 20 to 30 minute process for an experienced tech. again congrats, on the new bass.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
your timing will determine that. if the shop is not too busy, they can usually do it right away, and will usually let you watch, ask questions, and learn. so try to catch them on off-peak times of the day. calling ahead might help. it's only about a 20 to 30 minute process for an experienced tech. again congrats, on the new bass.

I would highly recommend, if the shop allows (and good ones do), to let you watch them do a set up and ask questions. Its not that hard a process, but its one that if you do wrong you can mess up your bass, sometimes if it involves the truss, significantly.

The luthier I use compares it to owning a car. Yes I should know how to change my own oil, air filter etc when needed throughout the year. But once a year or so, I take the bass in for a full tune up with him. It also allows me to tell him how I like the action etc., so when I get it back its just how I like it.

Good luck with your new P bass! Pictures and sound clips please when you have a moment to post!
i got mine at guitar center for $300 with amp, bag and a crappy cable. so if you dont have an amp id say go to guitar center
P-basses are very solid instruments, and for the $375 saved by buying it, you could not only fix the bass, but by hardware in the fashion that you'd like it. I'm getting gold hardware put on my Deluxe P-bass. Go wild.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You got a Squier not a Fender.

+1.

And good going to the TS. Spend a bit of the money you saved making it better than new.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You got a Squier not a Fender.

but it sez fender undr teh Squire thing!!!111

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Lol, now I really need to take it into the shop. I was putting the strings from my old bass on this one, and i tightened it too much, causing the E and A strings to break. Now I've got a freakishly mismatched bass with half the strings being my nice Ernie Ball Heavy's and half them being the crapppy dead strings the guy gave it to me with.
Phillitalian Says:

Get it
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by Copius
Lol, now I really need to take it into the shop. I was putting the strings from my old bass on this one, and i tightened it too much, causing the E and A strings to break. Now I've got a freakishly mismatched bass with half the strings being my nice Ernie Ball Heavy's and half them being the crapppy dead strings the guy gave it to me with.

holy sh.t you snapped your E and A strings, thats ridiculous, i've snapped my g string many a time, usually just by not paying attention and either tightening it too much, or tightening the wrong tuning peg, but how the hell did you snap your E string?

oh and post some pics, i'm interested to see what $125 could get you, what color is it?
Quote by Zar938
holy sh.t you snapped your E and A strings, thats ridiculous, i've snapped my g string many a time, usually just by not paying attention and either tightening it too much, or tightening the wrong tuning peg, but how the hell did you snap your E string?

oh and post some pics, i'm interested to see what $125 could get you, what color is it?

Black, soon to be covered with stickers
Quote by Copius

strings taken from another bass often fail, 'cause if you expose a kink in the wire, to full tension, "snap". miss matched strings play better than no strings. i've done it.
as far as stickers on a decent bass?
stickers on a bass, is like school on saturday, no class.
Quote by Copius

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

*anarkee breathes deeply*

Please don't. There's nothing more rock and roll or sexy than a black P bass. Its perfection in and of its self.

And on the string issue, a good setup will include the strings. And like Rick says (in his wise way) taking strings from one bass to another is not a good idea and should only be done as a last resort. Believe me, i speak from experience on this.
Quote by anarkee

Please don't. There's nothing more rock and roll or sexy than a black P bass. Its perfection in and of its self.

You know what's really weird, I've gone through 4 different Precisions, and ALL of them have been black. Black's not even my favourite colour for basses in general, but for Precisions they look really sexy, whether it be all black on black, or black & maple. It's just a classic look you can't beat.
Quote by Copius

no

just no, stickers are meant bumpers, not basses
Quote by Copius

No man, be a trendsetter and be the first guy to put stickers on his bass strings!

But seriously, if you put stickers on your bass, you'll regret it years later. If you sell that bass, nobody's going to want it covered in stickers. If you take them off, it'll be a mess and you'd wish you'd never had done it.

But then again, Flea does have a sticker on a one-of-a-kind $35,000 '62 vintage Jazz bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yeh Don't go stickers. You want cool, two words "Mirror scratchplate"
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Lol, I just like the way basses with stickers look. It just makes the bass feel more like it's MY bass and not just a bass. I don't have stickers on hand, and I usually put them on as I get them. My old bass has an FLCL sticker on it, and I made a solemn vow to put FLCL stickers on every bass I own. So it might not be covered with stickers, but i do intend to put an FLCL sticker on the pickgaurd.
On the pickguard is better than on the body. If you ever intend to sell the bass, you can replace the pickguard on it and be on your way. IMO, stickers look horrible on basses. Then again, do what you wish.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.