Poll: Gibson SG or Fender VG Stratocaster
Poll Options
View poll results: Gibson SG or Fender VG Stratocaster
Gibson SG
44 77%
Fender VG Stratocaster
13 23%
Voters: 57.
Hey guys, im planning on gettting a new guitar and i cant decide between a Gibson SG with P-90 pickups or the Fender VG strat i play alot of classic rock my favorite band is the beatles and ill be playing a little blues and alittle metal so i want a well rounded guitar. I currently have an epiphone Les Paul and its great (but heavy) i need help deciding on what guitar to get... can you help me?

A few hours later...

My Gear:

AMP: Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt
Guitars: Gibson SG Classic (with P-90 Pickups), Martin DCX1E Acoustic-Electric, and Rouge Viola Bass
with guitars that expensive, i don't think you should be asking us for our opinion. i voted for SG anyways since you're gonna be playing a little metal.
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Quote by demonchicken212
get the strat if you say the les paul is to heavy

The SG is quite lightweight
SG's arent heavy tho...i personally love my strat and i wouldnt trade it for anything =P but, play them both and see which 1 u want so dont order it offline just cause of everyones opinion...sorry cant give u a straight answer =P hope u get a guitar u like
FRO POWER!!!
well, it's SG:£7-900. VG: £11-1400
I'd go with the SG probably. I think ordinary strats are lovely and great for classic blues. I think HSS strats are lovely and good for 80s metal, but I don't think the stuff in the VG is worth it. Get the SG is my advice, and tune the epi you've got to a different tuning so you can switch.
SGs are an incredibly good weight. you can fling them around like nothing, and the tone is beautiful
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
The VG will be WAY more versatile. The tuning options and acoustic/12 string settings seem really helpful. Hopefully ill get a VG for my next guitar too.

The SG has that classic tone and, imo, superior look

Personally, id go for the VG cos i play just about anything, but i would try both out.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Well I love fenders, but the VG is something I despise. It's supposed to be a guitar not a damn computer for crying out loud. So please if you're going to get a fender get a decent one, quatlity without all the gibberish that comes along with the fancy ones.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
SG's in my experience are actually lighter than Strats. To be fair, I';d say the SG woul;d be the better choice, the Strat has a lot of strengths, but metal ain't one of them.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
My favorite thing about the VG is that even without the way cool modeling stuff, it's STILL an American Strat, which are fantastic instruments to begin with
Quote by FretboardToAsh
Well I love fenders, but the VG is something I despise. It's supposed to be a guitar not a damn computer for crying out loud. So please if you're going to get a fender get a decent one, quatlity without all the gibberish that comes along with the fancy ones.

Yes, but its much easier to buy that than have 10 guitars at your disposal for different sounds/tunings etc.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Guys, a SG with P-90 SINGLE COILS is not going to be any better for metal than the Strat's single coils. Hell, the strat's humbucker patch thing might be better for metal.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Guys, a SG with P-90 SINGLE COILS is not going to be any better for metal than the Strat's single coils. Hell, the strat's humbucker patch thing might be better for metal.

But the P-90 is a really punchy SC. I wouldnt know how it'll do for metal, but it has more output than normal singles but it still has that annoying hum.

The VG eliminates the 60-cycle hum which is a plus
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by the.spine.surfs

i agree... if your going SG get some humbuckers...
Quote by BFun
But the P-90 is a really punchy SC. I wouldnt know how it'll do for metal, but it has more output than normal singles but it still has that annoying hum.

The VG eliminates the 60-cycle hum which is a plus

I got a p90 guitar and a fender usa sss strat....and a couple of humbucker guitars. I use the p90s for metal and it sounds ****in awesome.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
He said a little metal. He said his main styles are rock and blues, which the P90s would work very well for. You're all making it sound like he picked that as his main style.

I believe that the SG would be best for you. I'd have trouble playing blues on a computer. Just out of principal. It's also too fancy for me. Just give me four knobs and two to three picks-ups and I'm usually happy.
The VG Strat is an American Strat if you don't feel like using the modelling features, so if you don't want to use 'a computer', don't, use it like any other MIA Strat.

Anyways, I'd get the SG. SGs are nice to play and P-90s sound great for dirty blues.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Man, this turned into a regular Gibson vs Fender thread.

On that note, here's my biased opinion: you can pay for the classicness and Gibson name, or the playability and innovation of a Fender Strat.

*dons asbestons suit.