I should have asked this in beginner section maybe but I figured here's maybe some smarter people

So, I'm self taught and I've been looking a bit on the theory side lately, right now scales. So lets say we're improvising over A major chord with A major scale. There's these different shapes on A major scale, so lets say you use a shape which doesn't have A as root note. Is it still in the key or will it sound good? Sorry if this has been asked before and yes I did check the sticky, I'm just kinda lost.
"A" will always be the root note when playing an A major scale. If by root note you mean first note played in a box pattern, then the scale is still in key and will sound good because it is the A Major Scale, only in a different order than A, B, C#, etc. Shapes are just patterns to help you remember the scale, the notes A B C# D E F# G# will never change, box patterns are simply logical organizations of these notes.
Quote by albino strat!
"A" will always be the root note when playing an A major scale. If by root note you mean first note played in a box pattern, then the scale is still in key and will sound good because it is the A Major Scale, only in a different order than A, B, C#, etc. Shapes are just patterns to help you remember the scale, the notes A B C# D E F# G# will never change, box patterns are simply logical organizations of these notes.

Ah yes I got it now, thanks
It depends on what chord you play it over, if you play notes from the A major scale over a C#m chord, then yes it will sound different because the root is different (but this has nothing to do with the position you play)

Also, don't be afraid to try things out. You checked the sticky, great! But everytime you wonder "can I do this?", don't ask just try it out and use your ear, remember that there are no rules.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums