I just got my tube amp and I'm curious about smoking. When people sell their amps they always say whether or not the home was smoke free, so I was wondering if the smoke damages the amp itself(because the vents let it in and what not) or if its just like a car and people dont want the smell? So is it safe to smoke around it or not?
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
Some people are more sensative to the smell of smoke than others. Smokers dont notice its why they are so inconsiderate about smoking around others. But am amp thats been at a heavy smokers house will have that smell to it for a long time. As for damaging the amp not that I know of.
Maybe the tolex holds the smell of smoke or something. Or they're letting you know it won't have fag burns...?
The amp will yellow (like everything else in the room), but that's about it.
Quote by kyrreca
My amp is subject to all kinds of smoke. Some of it smells quite nice, though.

My abd has got about 10+ grand worth of equipment and it is subject to a lot of smoke, beer, and "green smoke"...
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
thanks guys, I don't give a damn about the smell or color I just didn't want to hurt my baby. Thank god green smoke is ok.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
I bought an old amp on eBay that reeked of smoke when I got it, and took some time for that smell to wear off. Had I seen it in a store, the smell might've turned me off. It was that bad. But it eventually goes away.

I'm thinking the smell and obligatory cigarette burns would be the reason they'd point out it comes from a smoke-free home.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
Maybe the tolex holds the smell of smoke or something. Or they're letting you know it won't have fag burns...?

a burn that has sex with men?

i think the thing about smoking is just the smell because incase you didn't know, quite a few famous guitarists smoke and doesn't seem to affect their amps, but i guess they have money for new amps if it did affect it, never heard it would hurt the amp before
Quote by wannabebassist2
a burn that has sex with men?

i think the thing about smoking is just the smell because incase you didn't know, quite a few famous guitarists smoke and doesn't seem to affect their amps, but i guess they have money for new amps if it did affect it, never heard it would hurt the amp before

I didn't see a reason why it would hurt the amp but I just wanted to make sure before I smoked anywhere near it.

And I hope you were just trying to be funny about the fag burn, trying being the key word there.
Quote by kyrreca

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Quote by redneck516
...And I hope you were just trying to be funny about the fag burn, trying being the key word there.

a lot of people call cigarettes "fags" in the UK.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
If you play live in any place that isn't another 3rd Reich your amp will probably be exposed to it in clubs.
Quote by Ngawtfizjuice
If you play live in any place that isn't another 3rd Reich your amp will probably be exposed to it in clubs.

As bad as Stephen Harper may be, I've never seen Canada as another 3rd Reich, and Ontario (the province I live in) has banned smoking in clubs and bars.
-"Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst Fender Tele. DD HB102(n)
-"Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
-"Joy" Vintage 1100N Acoustic
-"Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
Traynor YCS50 1x12 (V30 Speaker)
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
Quote by Scum_PunkRocker
As bad as Stephen Harper may be, I've never seen Canada as another 3rd Reich, and Ontario (the province I live in) has banned smoking in clubs and bars.

Which is exactly what I meant by a 3rd Reich. Having to go outside the club to smoke is pure Nazism.
Quote by Ngawtfizjuice
Which is exactly what I meant by a 3rd Reich. Having to go outside the club to smoke is pure Nazism.

Amen...
Quote by kyrreca

Quote by Geetar_Axel
I'd say nazism is slightly worse, but having to go outside in the cold for a smoke is a hassle.
It might be a hassle, but you do have to remember that smoking can cause harm to those around you, and you have to be considerate towards them. After all, causing harm to yourself is fine if you want to do it, but you have no right to do it to others...

Quote by MrCarrot
Probably the smell.

I'd say so. I've got an old video player that we got off a friend and it smells extremely smokey. So smokey, in fact, that I have covered it almost completely. It's fading now though.
Quote by Ngawtfizjuice

I'd say being 'gassed' by dozens of smokers is more like nazism.
ive seen many amps and guitars come through me and maybe Slash wouldnt notice, but i cannot stand stale smoke on any gear ive had (part of the reason why lots of it has gone) - i can accept if its a relic pre-80s though