the guitar im saving for is 630$ on musiciansfriend, and on guitar center.com, its 400.
AT guitar center, its 630.....can sum1 explain this to me plz.
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
you sure its the same guitar? sometimes they have like a dent or scratch on them and they sell them cheaper, can u send the links to both of them?
i hope so, todays my b-day, and i only need about, 100$ more to get it. i have like, 330 now, im getting more$ later and more tomorrow
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
are you guys blind? the first has a carved flamed ash top and the second has a carved quilted maple top. just by looking at the names you can figure this out: Flame (flamed ash) HH and QMT (quilted maple top) HH.
i just found the difference. musiciansfriend just got new items i guess, b/c id never seen the 400$ one and im on al lthe time. anyway, the 400$ 1 has a flamed top, the 630 has a quilted top.
so is the only difference a 200$ cosmetic thing?

Sound Mind beat me to it
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
My advice is find a mom and pop guitar shop (they still exist) and talk to the people that own the place. Tell them what you play, and let them guide you towards the specific guitar that works for you.

Just because it's a Whatever XJ5 doesn't mean it's going to drop off the conveyor belt at the factory sounding the way you want or expect. Guitars are made out of wood, and even if it's high-grade mahogany, poplar, whatever it could just be a bad tree.

Some trees are better suited for chopping up and making a floor or a desktop. Some are better for guitars. Two neighboring trees can grow in the same amount of sun with the exact same water source for the same amount of time, cut them and one might sound fantastic and another is a pile of crap.

Trees are like people. Just because you take some genius kid and stick them in engineering school doesn't mean they'll make a good engineer. They could be terrible. Maybe they'd be a better lawyer?

Guitars are (basically) living entities. The actual organism is dead, but there are microorganisms living as a biological community inside the wood, its moisture level rises and drops at a certain rate in response to the environment, it expands and contracts because of heat, and one might backbow where another bows the other way, etc.

Finding a good instrument is a matter of sitting with it in your hands and feeling if this organic entity is going to suit you or not.

Guitar Center wants to sell you on the idea that if you buy the Stevie Ray Vaughan guitar you will sound like Stevie. Well, SRV had very peculiar tastes that are absolutely terrible for some people...

Don't fall into a marketing gimmick. No corporation can sell you YOUR guitar, the one that's right for YOU.

You have to find it, and no one here or anywhere can help you do that. We can give you advice, things to avoid, but ultimately you are buying something that will become an extension of your body.

You will grow as a musician around the guitar you buy AND your guitar will grow around you. Sometimes the best guitar for a musician is a cheaper instrument they learned on.

Cruddy pickups, a few dents and dings, maybe the truss has never been adjusted right...but it sounds better. Why? Because it has become a part of you.

This is not a decision to trust to some money-sucking corporation.

Good luck, and have fun! Take your time and you will not regret this purchase.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

AHHHHH!!!! i cant find the 400$ one on any website now!!
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112