Page 1 of 2
what is everyones thoughts on the most overrated songs and bands of all time?

ill start by saying i believe the most overrated song is:

1. Freebird

Overrated artists:
1. Metallica
2. Guns N Roses
3. U2
4. Clapton
not that this thread hasn't been done a billion times before, but I'd go with

LED ZEPPELIN??!!!!?!?!!

I know people who claim to love LZ, but can't name any of their songs
they just say that because they hear everyone else say they love LZ
i have to disagree with clapton but thats still just an opinion. uh...mcr blows IMO. to some extent linkin park, it just depends on what song. green day.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
to whoever started this thread- i completely disagree with you in every way on those statements
but as far as im concerned

1. green day
2. all time low
3. Slayer
4. Ramones
6. Sex Pistols

i disagree with every1 so far except for VIRUSDETECTED
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
I too agree Free Bird gets old....QUICK. I also hate Led Zepplins mainstream stuff to a point where I could strangle someone. My favorite song by them is Trampled Underfoot.

I think that AC/DC is the most overrated band. Nothing about them thrills me and their songs just sound too similar to one another.
I just hate the latest Take That album, and that's pretty popular among the un-musically-literate.

That's all I'm saying.
THE BEATLES and LED ZEP.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Wrong forum, this has been done so many times. Anyway,
I STRONGLY disagree with your list, I would say Black Label Society, The Beatles, Pink Floyd.
U2 may be a tad overrated but they are still one of my favourite bands. The same with Metallica really. Green Day are defiantly overrated, however most of it is towards "American Idiot" whereas there old stuff is reasonably good. I dislike Led Zepplin and the Beatles, however they had had an enourmous influence on modern music.
My Chemical Romance.
Pink Floyd.

but Metallica is not overrated at all
A drumer is needed!!

In Dammam or Khobar
Quote by shpaz

Pink Floyd.

Pink Floyd Overrated?
Have you listened to their music at all?
Metallica, Ac/Dc, U2, A7X, Ramones, Sex Pistols....
GN'R ain't over rated, they are a good band. Slash is a decent guitar player but he is def. over rated.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
MCR r well over rated, to sing like gerrard way all u have 2 do is sing with a cracly voice

and if people keep puttin greenday il get pissed off becasuse they r doin lots of work for charity so if they r over rated and help charities wats wrong with that
Quote by nicktuckerrr
MCR r well over rated, to sing like gerrard way all u have 2 do is sing with a cracly voice

and if people keep puttin greenday il get pissed off becasuse they r doin lots of work for charity so if they r over rated and help charities wats wrong with that

Charity makes you better musically? dang, I'm gonna stop practicing and start working at CCA.
Led Zepellin.
Love em, but wow, so overplayed, and so overrated, they're great, but they're not gods.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
I guess it really all depends on what you feel makes a guitarist/band worth "being rated."

I'm always confused when I hear people say that bands like the Beatles are overrated or that guitarists like SLASH are overrated. Personally, the Beatles, as a band, and SLASH, as a guitarist, had huge impacts on the way music is played and on music history/culture in general. I think that makes them worth every bit of praise they get.

But I guess if you base a band or a guitarists worth off of being able to shred like Steve Vai or Yngwie Malmsteen, then, yes, bands like the Beatles and guitarists like SLASH are overrated.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Led Zeppelin-I love Zeppelin to death, but I am sick of the piles and piles of acclaim thats thrust upon them without any thought.

Pink Floyd-Boring, and overly pretentious

U2-Boring as hell

Nirvana-They had a couple of good tunes, but they did not revolutionize music at all. All they did was shift the labels attention from glam to grunge

Guns N' Roses-Great band, but anyone who thinks they put "the balls back into the music" Should realize that there was a gigantic underground thrash scene, fueled by
testostrone and beer, that made GnR look like Winger

Anthrax-A couple of good tunes, nothing more
The Beatles
Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd
U2
Led Zeppelin
Metallica

Queen
Guns and Roses
Green Day
MCR
Linkin Park
Fall out boy
U2
Nirvana

*I'm not actually serious. *
[quote="Nirvana-They had a couple of good tunes, but they did not revolutionize music at all. All they did was shift the labels attention from glam to grunge

umm i agree

the band that shouldve gotten the attention nirvana had during that time was alice in chains

i beleive they invented grunge
I don't consider GNR overrated because at the time they did something different and made a great album when they were only 20 years old. I agree/disagree with the fact that Slash is overrated. He writes great riffs and solos and is a versatile player. I think people consider him overrated is because he is really popular among guitar players and non-guitar players. That is just because his music appeals to a lot of different people. His image plays a role in that to as well. I somewhat agree with him being overrated because people who don't play guitar may say he is a guitar god and what have you thinking he is better then he is.
Quote by branflakes439

1. Freebird

Overrated artists:
1. Metallica
2. Guns N Roses
3. U2
4. Clapton

Dude you know how many people DON'T know about Free Bird? It's surprising, it's not THAT popular it seems.

Metallica is overrated, Guns N Roses isn't overrated, just no one likes Axl for ****. U2 has been dead for years, and Clapton earns his right as a damn good artist.

Nirvana = Most overrated band ever. There not remotely good to me.
Kurt Cobain = Most overrated guitarist ever. He's not even GOOD. He just plays power chords from what I see, and his solos...there just the vocals played on the guitar.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
Quote by evanm31
I agree with Clapton. He isn't very good. IMO, his only good solo was crossroads.

i kinda think the solo to crossroads was one of his weak ones. he rips on the live solos.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
AC/DC, U2, and GnR.

Gear:
-------------------------------
Guitar:
MIM Fender Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Recto
Cube 60

Quote by wyldedarko
Dude, if you already have the capo just put it behind the nut and it lowers everything.

n00bS....
My chemical romance (they cant play)
Gay(good) charolette (spelling?)
Green day.
Quote by nasstyman
i busted a g-string while fingering a minor...
Quote by 18zzz18
REPLY DUDE! YOU COULD BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE EARTH AND ALL OF MANKIND! (:
0h @nd U M@Y H@V3 2 T@LK L1K3 TH1S..... 1TZ TH3 L@NGU@G3 0F TH3 FUTUR3
Quote by RMC06
My old band teacher once called me a penis wrinkle.
I disagree that Led Zep, the Beatles and Queen are over rated. Over played perhaps, but not overrated.

I do think that Nirvana, Green Day, Guns N Roses and the Doors are over rated.
nickleback and kid rock for me. i can't grasp their music like i can the others. i just can't feel 'em. you know what i mean? and what the hell is wrong you, freshtunesw? those bands kick ass but, sort of gun 'n roses i guess...there good but... i dont know i usually skip there songs on cds of mine now a days.
Quote by Mike1691
nickleback and kid rock for me. i can't grasp their music like i can the others. i just can't feel 'em. you know what i mean? and what the hell is wrong you, freshtunesw? those bands kick ass but, sort of gun 'n roses i guess...there good but... i dont know i usually skip there songs on cds of mine now a days.

I agree, Nickleback are generic commercial radio-rock, and Kid Rock makes AC/Dc look like Dream Theater
IMHO, AC/DC isn't really overrated. They are a great band and get the props they deserve, but I never really hear anyone call them a "godsend" band as much as Metallica or GnR, which are also great bands by the way.

I'm gonna have to say Nirvana because their songs don't have a lot of "feeling", ya know? It almost makes them seem monotonous when they play because there's not much emotion in their music.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by branflakes439

1. Freebird

Overrated artists:
1. Metallica
2. Guns N Roses
3. U2
4. Clapton

All three of those are great bands/artists. overrated is my chemical romance and nirvana.
Last edited by demonchicken212 at Nov 6, 2007,
Page 1 of 2