Well recently I accidently ordered what I though I needed, 0.27mf, but looking at some schematics, I need .02 - 0.05 mf capacitors...

I recently screwed up my wiring and I really want to fix it and get my bridge pickup working again.

What will this much higher capactitor do to my sound?

and if I dont connect my tone pot to my volume pot, and leave it completly unconnected it should still work right? I just want to get to the point of it working again atleast if I cant use these capacitors

thanks
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Well if your using mF (mega ferrat) capacitors then I dont what the hell kind of sound you get... do you mean uF? Thats wahts usually used on guitars
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
Well recently I accidently ordered what I though I needed, 0.27mf, but looking at some schematics, I need .02 - 0.05 mf capacitors...

I recently screwed up my wiring and I really want to fix it and get my bridge pickup working again.

What will this much higher capactitor do to my sound?

and if I dont connect my tone pot to my volume pot, and leave it completly unconnected it should still work right? I just want to get to the point of it working again atleast if I cant use these capacitors

thanks
If you leave your tone pots disconnected, that will be like tone "on 11". Just a bit brighter than on 10. The larger caps will cause the tone cut (when the tone pot is turned down) to cut down into the midrange as well as just the treble. Try it. You might actually like it.

EDIT:

@ Øttər, That would be Farad, not Ferrat. (named after Michael Faraday)

Also a lower case m would be mili as in 1/1000 not Mega as in 1,000,000.

mF is an archaic term used to mean microFarad. Modern usage is uF since the lower case u is very similar to the greek letter (mu) μ
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Nov 3, 2007,
oh
... well thanks? I did not know that... now I look like a j@ck@55.. haha well thanks for correcting my mistake.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
you look like a jackass? meh i meant uF...I look like a jackass... but I cant even get any signal from my bridge pup

><
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Thats weird... I know you probably would have noticed this, but do you have any cold solder joints? That happened to me once, I spent so long completely rewiring my guitar, then after I quadruple checked everything, I put it all together, plugged it in, flipped the switch...

Needless to say a long, unprintable string of obscenities escaped my mouth. It turned out I had 1 bad solder joint on the output jack......
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Maybe, its not anything on my input hack, because my neck pickup sounds great and works fine. Its just the bridge. I dont have the tone pot connected to anything on the bridge, I just want to get it working first.

ive changed a lot of the wires that looked worn and or messy. redid all the solder joints. Im thinking that maybe the volume pot got ****ed some how, but I really really dont think thats the case

Ive resoldered everything, checked the joints it should be getting some sort of signal. so either my pickup is ****ed.... or one of the wires inside of the main pickup cable (the one that surounds the 4 our 5 wires for ground, hot, and the split coil wires, got crosses with ground, or the pot is ****ed up...

from what I can tell... the wires are enclosed in a thick rubber shielding cable, so I really dont think they would have gotten cross inside of this. I dont think it the pickup. its fairly new. I did wax pot it myself. But it was completly fine when I finished for weeks. It wasnt until I tried to instal this push/pull pot for a black ice mod that it ****ed up.

I really think somehow the pots messed up, I guess getting a new one wouldnt be too big of a deal, I just wish I could get this damned thing fixed. Anyone know of any places to get 500k pots that accepts paypal?
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at Nov 3, 2007,
Quote by Øttər
Well if your using mF (mega ferrat) capacitors then I dont what the hell kind of sound you get... do you mean uF? Thats wahts usually used on guitars

mF and uF are the same.
congratulations captain repeat. I know now.

As for threadstarter, StewMac has good deals and, of course, guitarfetish, I Think I got my 500K pots from there for like CDN $2.50 maybe.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
im just worried im gonna install it and its still not gonna work, but I guess theres only one way to find out, I guess I could always get a professional to do it, but then id have to pay up the ass....

also if I wanted to make sure that the pickup was still good, isnt there a way to check that without hooking it up to a guitar?
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by Øttər
congratulations captain repeat. I know now.

As for threadstarter, StewMac has good deals and, of course, guitarfetish, I Think I got my 500K pots from there for like CDN $2.50 maybe.

I just restating it for you. You n00bs storm in here all high and mighty, something needs to be done.

You will be fine with 0.027. It will still work and sound good. You can always buy some more caps and try them out, there are only $0.01.

You will not really notice much difference though. The only time you will really notice a difference is when your tone is rolled down. For tone shaping on my guitar I prefer using my volume pot to my tone pot, but thats besides the point.
uhh.. well there must be some way. Im not sure, Ill go google it
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by kurtlives91
mF and uF are the same.

No it's not.

m stands for mili and u (µ stands for micro...
(As SomeoneYouKnew said)
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
I thought it stood for "mew" but as yall can tell im not exactly sure what all im talking about haha
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by kurtlives91
I just restating it for you. You n00bs storm in here all high and mighty, something needs to be done.

You will be fine with 0.027. It will still work and sound good. You can always buy some more caps and try them out, there are only $0.01.

You will not really notice much difference though. The only time you will really notice a difference is when your tone is rolled down. For tone shaping on my guitar I prefer using my volume pot to my tone pot, but thats besides the point.
Lighten up just a bit, eh? If somebody is holding fast to wrong info, that's one thing. But as soon as they realize they're in error and acknowledge it, what say we cut them a bit of slack.

0.027 would be no problem at all, but TS said he has 0.27. That will make a noticeable change the way the tone control works. Even on 10, he'll hear a slight difference. He might actually like it, or maybe not-so-much.

REGARDING THE DESIGNATION FOR MICROFARADS ...

This is an argument no one is going to win.

1 - The PROPER designation would be: μF

2 - Because there was never a greek letter mu (μ available for most print shops, the capacitor manufacturers used a lower case m for many years. This irritated the scientists, but it was common practice in the industry for decades.

3 - Due to a movement toward standardization, mF is now being tossed aside for uF.

4 - This is NOT worth beating somebody up over. Just accept that we're moving forward and need to quietly and gracefully move away from that old convention.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
LMAO! Everyone always gets so pissy-pants!

ICANSEEYOU: One of my favorite sellers on Ebay: http://search.stores.ebay.com/PARTSPIPE_potentiometer_GUITAR-EFFECT-PEDAL-ACCESSORIE_W0QQfcdZ2QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ3QQfromZR10QQfsnZPARTSPIPEQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsubZ1194741QQsaselZ171050829QQsofpZ0

You said it worked fine until you tried a push-pull mod? I would start there. Also, you said you wax potted the pickup yourself? You may have possibly damaged the coil connection. Pickup coils are wound with very fine wire, and can be damaged easily.

I suggest to everyone who is messing with their guitar wiring to go to your local hardware or electronics store and purchase a multimeter. You can get one that measures everything you need to measure for around $10. Also, learn how to properly use it, and what simple electrical terminologies are, and what they mean. It will save you from further headaches, and you won't feel as lost.
Quote by Losenger

You said it worked fine until you tried a push-pull mod? I would start there. Also, you said you wax potted the pickup yourself? You may have possibly damaged the coil connection. Pickup coils are wound with very fine wire, and can be damaged easily.

I suggest to everyone who is messing with their guitar wiring to go to your local hardware or electronics store and purchase a multimeter. You can get one that measures everything you need to measure for around $10. Also, learn how to properly use it, and what simple electrical terminologies are, and what they mean. It will save you from further headaches, and you won't feel as lost.

its definately not the wax potting, like I said it worked fine for weeks after I did it, it was just until I tried taking everything out and installing a push/pull mod that everything ****ed up.

BUT I Just tried something. I connected my bride pickup directly to the switch, so when I switch it to the bridge pup it goes directly to the pup, no tone or volume pots, and it works fine. so its gotta be something wrong with the volume pot...
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at Nov 3, 2007,
check the ground on it? did you run a trace on your entire ground circuit?
Brotherhood of Vox Group Member #30
'08 Fender American Standard Strat
'07 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Honeyburst w/Gibson 498T &490R
'06 Ibanez Artcore Archtop

Vox Valvetronix AD100VTH w/Blue 4x12" Vox Cab
Vox AD30VT
if I wanted to make sure that the pickup was still good, isnt there a way to check that without hooking it up to a guitar?

Multimeter. Set it for ohms, I can't remember the exact proper values, but if it shows impedance it's most likely good, if it shows nothing it's shorted.

Yes, I know you already tried it, and found it working, this is for readers and future reference.

Are you sure you're using the right terminals on the volume and tone pots? Pots can be checked with a multimeter too, and check the orientation of the capacitor, it might be backward, or connected to the wrong terminals. And Gibson uses .02uF for bridge pickup, .047uF for neck, with 500K pots. Your .27 is way higher than normal, and may be shutting off the signal entirely. Unless you already have to order something else, just grab one at Radio Shack, around a dollar. I avoid Radio Shack pots and jacks, cheapest crap they can find, but the caps should be fine. I would simply remove the capacitor and try it, you won't get the tone you want but it will tell you if your problem is with pots or cap. Once you get it working without the cap, then add the cap and go from there.

If you need a pot, check around for a local electronics supplier, you can probably get it cheaper than buying one online since the shipping will be more than the part costs. Even music stores may be less expensive than paying for shipping. Capacitors will probably be available at the same supplier, or a guitar shop, I get most of mine at a local guitar repair shop unless I need a bunch, then it's off to the electronics supplier.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
Multimeter. Set it for ohms, I can't remember the exact proper values, but if it shows impedance it's most likely good, if it shows nothing it's shorted.

Yes, I know you already tried it, and found it working, this is for readers and future reference.

Are you sure you're using the right terminals on the volume and tone pots? Pots can be checked with a multimeter too, and check the orientation of the capacitor, it might be backward, or connected to the wrong terminals. And Gibson uses .02uF for bridge pickup, .047uF for neck, with 500K pots. Your .27 is way higher than normal, and may be shutting off the signal entirely. Unless you already have to order something else, just grab one at Radio Shack, around a dollar. I avoid Radio Shack pots and jacks, cheapest crap they can find, but the caps should be fine. I would simply remove the capacitor and try it, you won't get the tone you want but it will tell you if your problem is with pots or cap. Once you get it working without the cap, then add the cap and go from there.

If you need a pot, check around for a local electronics supplier, you can probably get it cheaper than buying one online since the shipping will be more than the part costs. Even music stores may be less expensive than paying for shipping. Capacitors will probably be available at the same supplier, or a guitar shop, I get most of mine at a local guitar repair shop unless I need a bunch, then it's off to the electronics supplier.

Well, there's a few flaws in that there post of yours.
*He's not using an electrolytic cap, so therefore it cannot be soldered in the wrong way.
*A bigger cap will just set a different roll off point for the tone controls, and cannot shut off the signal entirely.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by kurtlives91

Don't you love how I'm a noob but Ive been here about a year longer than you? Nice chronological skills bro.

And caps aren't penny.. but if you find somewhere they are, I'm all ears.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo