I'm a rock/classical rock/punk/alternative metal rhythm guitar player.

I have a Boss Mega Distortion MD-2 and i'm getting a Boss Overdrive pedal.

Which other effects pedal would be useful in my arsenal?

My bass player friend repeatedly say that with the distortion and the overdrive pedals, i just need a Chorus pedal and i'm set.
Is this true?

Because others told me that i needed:
- a Flanger pedal (i really hated its sounds, and i really don't think i need one as a rhythm guitar player...);
- a Reverb pedal (i kinda liked its feel).

So... What effect/effects would complement my set?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Denthúl
You only need what you want to use. There's no right or wrong.

But doesn't the Chorus effect sound like sh** in a rhythm guitar, with open and power chords, for example?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Your amp's on-board distortion is what you want in terms of distortion. For chorus effects, I'd go with Boss's pedals. Never have had a problem.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
personally i use my FAB chorus pedal i got free with my guitar all the time. for a rhythm you can just make it a little less evident so it doesnt overpower the chords. its still kinda nice. for lead i can see where there would be huge advantages but hey they are pretty cheap unless you decide you cant use a plastic one.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Quote by StillSoundRG
Your amp's on-board distortion is what you want in terms of distortion. For chorus effects, I'd go with Boss's pedals. Never have had a problem.

The question isn't that -- the question is SHOULD i get a Chorus pedal (as a rhythm guitar player) or i don't need one, and it would be more useful a [ADVICE, please...] pedal?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
But doesn't the Chorus effect sound like sh** in a rhythm guitar, with open and power chords, for example?

No. I like to use chorus with open chords and power chords. You just have to get the amount right.
Like previously said, there's no specific setup you need. You could have a huge-ass pedal board or not one pedal. If I were you though, I'd get one modulation pedal (chorus, phase, etc) just to spicen up chording.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Thank you for your advice, Denthúl!

EDIT: Yours too, kartman!
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
You need a new amp. Rather than buy new pedals, you should start an amp fund. I'm not a fan of Boss pedals in general, and an OD pedal will do very little for your current amp. If you haven't already ordered it, I wouldn't.

That said, a chorus pedal is a major plus for a rhythm player. A lot of players use one to brighten up their clean tones. Sounds great with open chords especially, IMHO. Not just cleans, though, Kurt Cobain was big on his Small Clone.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Try it out for yourself. It's a matter of opinion, really. I think Zakk Wylde uses chorus. I personally would probably only use it with clean on single notes, but each to his own.
Yeah, a chorus doesn't have to sound fluidy. If you set the rate really light, it brightens up the sound awesomely. A wah is a cool pedal to expirement with and use with chords. Reverb is good, but it's not used a lot, unless at very low levels to give your sound some ambience. There aren't many songs I can think of with full on reverb. There are like 5 I can think of.

Tremolo might be cool too.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
i like a light phase on my rhythm stuff. a light chorus or some reverb could do the same thing. it just adds a bit of depth to it so that it gets a slight moving feel. with just straight distortion sometimes the guitar feels a bit to static, especially when the guitar is playing a lot of power chords. throwing that little bit of modulation in really adds a lot IMO.

try out a chorus pedal (ehx small clone), a phaser(mxr phase 90 and ehx small stone) and a reverb pedal to see what kind of sounds you like. you may also think about a tremolo pedal or something else as well just to find out what appeals to you most.
A tremolo or Leslie pedal could be pretty cool, it's all preference really. You might only use the pedal for like one song...
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
A cheap chorus + acoustic modeler when put together can make a very nice sound for rhythm guitar.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.