Hiya, I'm 19 and I've been playing guitar for about 9 months now and for some reason I feel like I've started playing a bit later then I should of to start or join a band later on after a few years of practise, I know to some people that might sound stupid but anyways...

The question is which famous guitarists do you know started playing guitar later on in life?

I dunno whether this is true or not but didnt Jack Black start when he was 23??
I like steak!
I know Eric Clapton started then quit the guitar because it was too hard. Then ,of course, picked it up again.
SPACE FOR RENT
slash started when he was 15 but then again thats not too late.
"Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth." -
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I wish I was gay.

Quote by cashewchaching
Even though he's an ugly woman, my favorite is john mayer.
Paul Kossof only started playing properly when he saw Hendrix play guitar in the shop he worked in at denmark street.
Glenn Tipton, one of the greatest metal guitarists ever, did not start playing guitar until he was 21.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Jack Black started at 16?? Jeez dunno where i got 23 from?
I like steak!
It's never too late to start playing. Flea started to play bass at the age of 17 I believe. Look at him now.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Tom Morello started at about 19, methinks.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
yeah its never late to play..It all depends how much effort you put into. Some put more effort then others and the results clearly show it.
LOL
I tend to put alot of effort in I remember when I starting I practised for hours and I thought I would slow down after a while but I haven't 'changed a bit, I just wanna keep learning bout it
I like steak!
Quote by Rwhite88
I tend to put alot of effort in I remember when I starting I practised for hours and I thought I would slow down after a while but I haven't 'changed a bit, I just wanna keep learning bout it

Most people are like that the first two years and after that the playing just slowly declines, kind of. Then after a period you'll probably get really intesne about it again. It all kid of just comes and goes in periods.
Dave Gilmour didnt start playing guitar till much later, and his white telecaster he used around 1968, his parents bought him for his 21st birthday... aww.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Yeah your probably right but for now Im gonna have fun playing and learning guitar till then
I like steak!
Quote by ultimate guns
van halen was a drummer but then switched to guitar, think it was in his teens

I think he was around 13 or 14 when he switched, cant remember though. but he had been playing Classical Piano for years before he picked up any rock instruments, so that mightve given him an edge. but to the TS i dont think it matters if you start late or early, just work hard.
Didnt John Petrucci start guitar at like 8 to get a later bedtime but it didnt work, but then he picked up the guitar again years after?
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab