I need some help soloing....Right I can solo and all but not to like the tunes our band plays like we play rock like oasis and stuff but for our songs like i know the key and all...say the key was in e I would go to the 12th fret and do some crappy scales and my band mates are starting to realise like that all i do like it fits in with the songs and sounds alright but I don't really move around much on the fret board like can anyone help?
Learn the notes in the scales and learn those notes all over the fretboard. No, actually, learn all the notes on the fretboard first. From your post, it sounds like you are getting stuck in "the box" and are relying too much on patterns for scales. However, it is important to remember that scales are not patterns and they aren't shapes. They vocabularies of notes that can be played everywhere.

How much theory do you know?
Best way to help with that is to first define what most solos realy are. They are mostly improvisation. And all improvisation is, is spontaneous composition (my words of the day). You are really just taking notes and putting them together on the spot. You already know that you can play notes in the key your band is playing in, but you can also play in the relative minor 3rd of that key, perfect fifth, etc as well.

The best way to start using all of the guitar neck is to expand your music vocabulary by brushing up on modes, and scales (learn them in key of E first) and even music theory and integrating them into what you are soloing over (maybe a relative minor for instance, or the same key). also, when you know one scale/mode, learn all of the different shapes (it helps to write out note positions) of the scale, because lets say you are playing the typical blues scale in A. If someone is playing in key of B, you just move the whole shape up two frets and voila you are playing in B, and you don't have to even think about what note is where (a downside to what kirbyrocknroll said). Another little trick in soloing, is quickly figuring out minors. to quickly find the relative minor of the current key (blues players do this a lot with the pentatonic scale, hence the usual name minor pentatonics), just move down three frets and start playing the same shape (but this changes the sound of the scale quite a bit). Oh, and since you are playing in 12 position, you can automatically play the octave lower (but you knew that already im sure)

edit: almost forgot: to practice, play one of your favorite rock songs and just play around a little bit with all of the above. and of course have fun
If you can play music with enthusiasm and an honest effort, then no matter how flawed, noisy and unclean the music is, you are a musician. If you play just to be the best, you are not a musician, nor are you worthy of any musician's recognition. - me
Last edited by cm_richardson at Nov 3, 2007,
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Learn the notes in the scales and learn those notes all over the fretboard. No, actually, learn all the notes on the fretboard first. From your post, it sounds like you are getting stuck in "the box" and are relying too much on patterns for scales. However, it is important to remember that scales are not patterns and they aren't shapes. They vocabularies of notes that can be played everywhere.

How much theory do you know?

just do what this guy says i used to have the exact same problem because i didnt think i could even leave the box haha theres no way around it u gotta learn the notes on the fretboard
learn as many oasis songs as you can, then play them along with the actuall track and then attempt to improvise over them, thats how i improved my soloing.
Quote by You Shook Me
I need some help soloing..

Sometimes, I'm just astonished. Sounds like someone else who didn't know
much showed you a scale pattern, said play it at the 12th fret and there's your E.
How much help can you expect to get here on such a HUGE topic as soloing. It's
impossible to spoon feed you the "magic tricks", because there aren't any. You
need to crack open a book and actually do some work on your own trying to figure
it out. Or better yet, just start reading the million of net sites that have this info
FREE (like this one).

It's actually not all that complicated, but you HAVE to do some of the work on your
own. Them maybe you can ask questions backed by some knowledge and you
can get some help here.
i think we should just make it illegal for self taught beginners to see lessons on shapes and boxes lol,l jus messes them up