Page 1 of 2
Whenever I look up an artist's bio, it always seems to be:

A: They were born in a musical family/learned music at a young age/they went to a prestigious music school

B: They were ordinary people who quit high school and traveled random places, leading a lost and destitute life, until they randomly made it big with their band.

C: They had some sort of crazy genius mental condition/practiced for 15 hours a day/became obsessed with the instrument/addicted to some drug

Are there any artists that were regular Joes, who started playing the instrument when they were 16 - 20, went to high school and college, graduated, got average marks, and went on to join a band and become reasonably successful. They don't have to be legends, just people who make a living off their band/music.
Jimi Hendrix
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Most musicians I've heard of. In fact, I've never really heard of anyone I listen to coming from a musical background
What have we learned.....

Words are weightless here on earth,
because they're free

.....from this wee exercise?
I think one of the points about playing for stupid amounts of time each day leads to being a better player (or so logic would say) so that's a foolish point to make, they get good and get big.

Tom Morello, probably. Studied social sciences at Uni and started playing guitar and got big with RATM.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by con job
Most musicians I've heard of. In fact, I've never really heard of anyone I listen to coming from a musical background

Well from what I remember Slash was from a musical background, played constantly, and lived a "destitute" life until GnR
Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth. He's that little voice in your mind that says "Fuck you" to the people you hate.
Steve Harris of Iron Maiden, started bass when he was 17, worked as an Architectural Draughtsman... before stopping to go professional with Maiden
And more on the point, Tony Iommi worked in a steel shop before he went full time with sabbath.
Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth. He's that little voice in your mind that says "Fuck you" to the people you hate.
I don't think Jimmy Page started playing until like 15 or so.

EDIT: Nevermind, 12. He fits into category C.
Panteraaa!

Also Metallica, Machine Head, Slipknot... Most bands that play rock/metal actually.
Quote by xNihilityx
Well from what I remember Slash was from a musical background, played constantly, and lived a "destitute" life until GnR

He claims to have come from a creative family, I don't think that helped very much with the musical part. He did play something like 12 hours a day but I think that was mostly his own idea.
Most of the music you hear are just bands that got really really lucky. They're definitely good at whatever they do, I'm not saying they don't deserve it, but whenever i've talked to a member of a well-known band, they've always said something like "I just got in this band, we worked our asses off, and we got lucky."
Who dat?
Quote by seljer
Brian May?

Totally. Before he joined Queen I think he was studying astronomy and just now got his PhD.
Quote by H^2

Wise words Trashfan.

trashfan
Quote by Chubbychunks
It's not going to be that great. Although particle physics does give me a hadron.
Quote by Anarion614
Most of the music you hear are just bands that got really really lucky. They're definitely good at whatever they do, I'm not saying they don't deserve it, but whenever i've talked to a member of a well-known band, they've always said something like "I just got in this band, we worked our asses off, and we got lucky."

I don't think that's true.

Talent scouts go and see unsigned bands all the time. In fact, it's their job. If you've built up a local reputation chanser are a scout will go and see you sooner or later (assuming you live in a reasonably sized town with any local record companies).

At least that's the way it used to be, I don't know about now adays though.
John Frusciante. He just studied the peppers music and when hillel died Flea called him up and said "hey hillels dead, you know all the tunes and your a decent guy, come on down and funk out with your **** out."
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Dexter Holland from The Offspring has his Bachelor's degree and Masters in Molecular Biology!
Most of Opeth, I think.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by walkinbazooka
Most of Opeth, I think.

No, no. They're Swedish.
Quote by Renka
I don't think that's true.

Talent scouts go and see unsigned bands all the time. In fact, it's their job. If you've built up a local reputation chanser are a scout will go and see you sooner or later (assuming you live in a reasonably sized town with any local record companies).

At least that's the way it used to be, I don't know about now adays though.

Well definitely talent takes a major role in it. I'm just saying there have probably been and are bands tons better and more talented then the ones that have record contracts and tours, etc, but they were never lucky enough to get signed and have their music distributed.

But yeah, more recently I dunno how many record labels are willing to sign bands unless they're very sure they'll make money. It's a shame, really.
Who dat?
My friend and mentor Tom Hess has done/is doing all that you described and he is pretty damn successful in any way you look at it (professionally, artistically, financially). I learned a lot from him: www.tomhess.net

I'm currently in college and working on my own music career at the same time.

Mike Philippov
Quote by walkinbazooka
Most of Opeth, I think.

I think I read in some interview that Mike lived on a friends couch for 3 years or something along those lines
Eric Clapton
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Brian May as somebody said and also I believe Roger Taylor was studying at medical school but only quit when Queen got off the ground.
tom scholz, the guy went to mit, then made it big with boston when he was 27
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.
-Mark Twain
Quote by Shuk
Whenever I look up an artist's bio, it always seems to be:

A: They were born in a musical family/learned music at a young age/they went to a prestigious music school

B: They were ordinary people who quit high school and traveled random places, leading a lost and destitute life, until they randomly made it big with their band.

C: They had some sort of crazy genius mental condition/practiced for 15 hours a day/became obsessed with the instrument/addicted to some drug

Are there any artists that were regular Joes, who started playing the instrument when they were 16 - 20, went to high school and college, graduated, got average marks, and went on to join a band and become reasonably successful. They don't have to be legends, just people who make a living off their band/music.

That, in and of itself, is quite hard to do... yeah, they'd have to be pretty popular, but hey, I'm sure the entire grunge wave fits this description: Legends who weren't prodigies, but just your average dope smoker.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Time was a little diffrent back then :P

thats how i look at it or compare it to some musicians like today

Metallica be one of em James if im correct started playin guitar in Pre-teens
Got out of highschool I heard he worked at a sticker shop or factory but i don't know if thats true
Him and lars met and it went from there.
And Some Guys just get lucky

Back then Music was a big thing A&R guys came to you to watch you play ...to sign you

Not like that any more ...Because it seems now everyone wants to be as big as everyone else .. Its alot diffrent now.
Member #2 of the dean owners club, PM g1asseye to join.

92% of teens have moved on to rap repost this if you are one of the 8% that listen to real music

Rock IN Peace Darrell Lance Abbott \m/
Quote by xNihilityx

His frst guitar was an old acoustic with one string. He dropped out of school to concentrate on guitar and he practiced 12 hours a day.

How you'd go about practicing 12 hours a day on an acoustic with 1 string, I'll never know.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Rodrigo Sánchez and Gabriela Quintero had to travel a lot to get their music out there. That and they did not have a job with the exception of playing for a hotel or something? Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, I haven't watched the dvd in a while
Muse
Franz Ferdinand
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Last edited by break-me-in at Nov 4, 2007,
Page 1 of 2