just started learning the acoustic guitar, got myself a Yamaha FS720S and learning from a book, got to page 9 great finde may way round it tuning it etc, now down to buisiness playing A chord, place your first finger in the space behinde the second fret on the fourth string then put your second finger in the same space on the third string and your third finger again in the same space on the second string now strum the chord.

Problem with the instruction was not able to fit all three thingers in the reqired spaces meant that the first finger was to close to the underside of the fret bar resulting in a dull sound from that string, my fingers are quite thin compared to a lot of people so thats not the prob also have tride many different angles of the claw shape needed in hand but theres no getting away from how close the first finger is to underside of fret I am sqeezing together thingers as much as possible in short there not enough room to possision fingers as directed on fret board.

Its all very well needing to exersize the fingers but if theres not enough room how am I going to move forward.

Help what am I doing wrong.
Last edited by Charlesnewby at Nov 3, 2007,
For an A chord, there are three accepted ways of playing it, since it is a popular barre chord as well. The first isn't well used, you lay your pinky across the three strings, bending it at the second knuckle. This is probably the most functional, but the toughest. The next is using three fingers, one on each string, directly on it. The third is the one I used, and you use your middle and ring finger to hold down the two spaces in between the three strings. I have fairly skinny fingers and can pull this off, with no buzzing.
Frets ... Fingers
X ......... X
2 ......... 1
2 ......... 1
2 ......... 1
0 ......... 0
X ......... X

You can play an A chord with first finger covering three strings on second fret (above).

Frets ... Fingers
0 ......... 0
2 ......... 3
2 ......... 1
2 ......... 2
0 ......... 0
X ......... X

The way shown in the book (above) is better. The sound quality will get there with practice. Practice switch from A chord to D chord (below) and back.

Fret ... Finger
2 ....... 2
3 ....... 3
2 ....... 1
0 ....... 0
X ....... X
X ....... X
Since i started playing guitar, the "A" chord was the one i had most trouble with.
As suggested by Mekchrious i used my middle finger to fret all 3 strings and bend it at the 2nd knuckle so as not to mute the open string.
I've got quite fat fingers, but get by.
There are many ways of playing all chords, just experiment and see which way suits you best.
Happy guitaring.
My gear:
Fender 50th anniv American Strat Deluxe NICE
Fender Eric johnson Strat SEXY
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK
And Hammy said it right-while there are some exceptions, really, whatever is most comfortable for you works. Some people make a G with their Index, Middle, and Ring, I use my Middle, Ring, and Pinky, because it makes switching from C ten times easier. There isn't really a right or wrong way to make a chord, although like I said-exceptions. Really though, if you wanna use your thumb to play, then go for it!
i physically cannot play it the traditional way, i either barre the whole chord and omit the high e (only if i need to hammer on to a sus4) or if i dont need any free fingers to hammer on i play it with middel ring and pinky, much much easier
I always barre all three strings with my middle finger. It makes it so much faster and easier to move in and out of, IMO.
I barre them with my index. Lets me the other fingers to suspend/augment etc.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Try learning to play A using the other 3 fingers instead of index, middle and ring. Use middle, ring and pinky. Later on, you'll be wanting to add in barre chords, and by using these 3, you will free up your index finger for the transition from open A to barre chords up the neck. Many many pro's prefer fingering the A this way for this reason. The E, Em, A, Am, can all be played this way as well.
I had a lot of problems with that when I first started, too.

I ended up using my index finger on the D string, and my middle finger for both the G and B strings.

As time's gone by, I've become comfortable with doing it either way.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...