I want to start playing with my pinky (on my plucking hand) but I have difficulty practacing because its shorter than the rest of my fingers. I can already play with the rest of my fingers including my thumb. Did any one else have this promblem and if so how did you overcome it or should i just give up with the whole idea of playing with my pinky
PLaying with your pinky will not increase your speed, it will reduce it. Cuz you have to tilt your hand and that throw off the rest of your fingers.
Quote by Captain Insano
PLaying with your pinky will not increase your speed, it will reduce it. Cuz you have to tilt your hand and that throw off the rest of your fingers.

+1

There's no need to use your pinky at all.
No point. This is what I do:

Let's say index is #1, middle #2, ring finger #3. To pluck four notes, do this order: 3 2 1 2.

You can get going pretty fast and it's really helpful.
"I don't understand how one can kill a man in the name of peace, that's ridiculous."
- JBT
Wow, there's too much negativity here. Playing with your pinky is sweet if you can pull it off. Just practice scales and all that boring ****, but include your pinky. After a long while it'll start to pay off.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
I only really use it for tapping, and even then, only occasionally.
i only use my index and middle and thumb for plucking and most of the time i use a ppick
I bet it would be useful to some, but I seldom use even three fingers for just pounding the same string at high speed.. I do fine with two. I bet it would work really well if you played across all the strings like classical guitar fingering
your should just give up the idea unless your plucking the e string or for a five string the b string
Quote by DARKHAWKSENEMY
your should just give up the idea unless your plucking the e string or for a five string the b string

A little bit of an uneducated response. A bassist should never limit his arsenal, and four finger technique is another weapon to be used at our disposal.
i play with my pinky a lot, i think its pretty useful, the reason i am used to it is because ive played guitar and then started playing bass, so i just naturally used my pinky if i needed to stretch, it opens up windows for better basslines than the standard blink 182 bassline.
Quote by laureth02
i play with my pinky a lot, i think its pretty useful, the reason i am used to it is because ive played guitar and then started playing bass, so i just naturally used my pinky if i needed to stretch, it opens up windows for better basslines than the standard blink 182 bassline.

wow somebodies' paying attention to the thread

he meant on his plucking hand not his fretting hand, of course its normal for bassists to use their pinky on their fretting hand

on topic, i believe it might come in handy, but it would take a lot of practice, if you get pretty good at it, i suppose it would come in handy for string skipping, or cool uneven sounding rythms
I use all four fingers if I need to play really, really fast quadruplets (like in White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane). It's not a technique I can use to play properly, though, just for very quick bursts of notes. I can't even get the co-ordination sorted to use three fingers properly.
Quote by SystemOVADown
In 10,000 years bassists wont even have pinky's

or develop them to be longer and more usable
'Member of the official Biffy Clyro Fanclub. PM onlyonehere to join'
Quote by creepingjesus73
I had the same prob when I first tried it. The obvious answer to me was to claw my hand a little more - evens out the finger lengths, if you see what I mean.
Other than that, it's practice and persistence, as usual!

+1
i don't use my pinky alot, but it is there, if i need it. John Entwistles famous sweeping technique, would not be possible with-out a pinky. good answer, CJ!!
For me, I don't think the pinkie is very 'economical' on your plucking hand. I think the whole idea if you want to build up speed is to hit the strings as many times as possible with the least amount of movement, and since my pinkie is so incredibly tiny compared to my other fingers, I have to rotate my wrist to get it right, and then rotate back for the other 3 fingers. However, like lp83 said, Big Johnny Twinkle did it, and you can - assuming your pinkie is large enough to hit the strings without having to roll your wrist. But a shame my pinkie is so small... but that must mean I'm highly evolved!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
For me, I don't think the pinkie is very 'economical' on your plucking hand. I think the whole idea if you want to build up speed is to hit the strings as many times as possible with the least amount of movement, and since my pinkie is so incredibly tiny compared to my other fingers, I have to rotate my wrist to get it right, and then rotate back for the other 3 fingers. However, like lp83 said, Big Johnny Twinkle did it, and you can - assuming your pinkie is large enough to hit the strings without having to roll your wrist. But a shame my pinkie is so small... but that must mean I'm highly evolved!

your shame is not your pinky. lp83
Never heard of anyone using pinky...they don't even use pinky for classical guitar do they?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Quote by Andy2k64
Never heard of anyone using pinky...they don't even use pinky for classical guitar do they?

I thought they did.

Anyways I agree with Delerium, use it, it's there. Don't limit yourself, that's what bad musicians do.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by SystemOVADown
In 10,000 years bassists wont even have pinky's

Only if i didnt have mine now, it sticks out when i play [Something i cant help] so i have to fold it up.
Quote by In_This_Moment
Only if i didnt have mine now, it sticks out when i play [Something i cant help] so i have to fold it up.

well personally I don't have a problem playing with my pinky, but I did at first. Just slowly start to use it and it will become more natural
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
your shame is not your pinky. lp83

That's cryptic and totally over my head.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
That's cryptic and totally over my head.

sorry, i didn't think it was that deep. i felt your responce was disrespectful of John Entwistle, and myself. lp83, buddy! what you say, speaks about your character, as a human being. i still love ya' fitz, let's keep it that way.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
sorry, i didn't think it was that deep. i felt your responce was disrespectful of John Entwistle, and myself. lp83, buddy! what you say, speaks about your character, as a human being. i still love ya' fitz, let's keep it that way.

Um, now I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I was saying that if you can do it, there's lots of great players, like you and Enty, who can (btw, are you saying I don't idolize Entwistle? Me!?!), but I personally can't because I can't do it in an economical way. If there's disrespect there, it went way over my head...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Um, now I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I was saying that if you can do it, there's lots of great players, like you and Enty, who can (btw, are you saying I don't idolize Entwistle? Me!?!), but I personally can't because I can't do it in an economical way. If there's disrespect there, it went way over my head...

no harm, no foul. misunderstanding between friends, all worked out. now, you people
move along, nothing to see here.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
no harm, no foul. misunderstanding between friends, all worked out. now, you people
move along, nothing to see here.

These aren't the droids we're looking for *click* move along *click* move along *click*
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
These aren't the droids we're looking for *click* move along *click* move along *click*

Star Wars sarcasm, at it's best. LMAO! (dang, we're spamming up the place)
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
Star Wars sarcasm, at it's best. LMAO! (dang, we're spamming up the place)

We'll call it... STAR-CASM!

OK, seriously, enough - the pinkie can be cool if you can pull it off - however, like someone said before, 3 fingers can act as 4 (i.e. 1-2-3-2). Conversely, 4 fingers can act as 6 (1-2-3-4-3-2). This might help you in preventing the sound of 'fanning'... something i run into when playing with 3 fingers (1-2-3).
Quote by Cody_Grey102