(Where you restring a right handed bass so the low E string would be closest to your face if held by a lefty.)

I was thinking about doing it to a used Squire P or J bass. How much would it effect the tone, and what would the process entail?
changing the order of the strings that is all and moving the strap peg thing to the bottom....er top

EDIT: What i mean string it upside down and remove the thing that holds the srap to the oher end of the guitar but thats the actual hendrix way of doing it verry ghetto
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

Last edited by aeon20k at Nov 3, 2007,
thats the actual hendrix way of doing it verry ghetto

well.... he was black after all....
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
Well you would need to adjust the intonation. If you dont adjust it, the notes won't be tuned right. for example, 12th fret on the E string wouldn't be E
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by dm1925

please dont post like this again. har har, a black joke. quit while you're not too far behind.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by dm1925

wow...... umm yeah no coment
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Well you would need to adjust the intonation. If you dont adjust it, the notes won't be tuned right. for example, 12th fret on the E string wouldn't be E

yea you might also need to switch the nut, or file it, so the strings fit properly
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON

Yea, I know about the intonation. Would I need to modify the bridge at all aside from adjusting intonation? I'm pretty sure I got to replace the nut, right?

Anyway, the tone question was based more on the pickups then anything else. How would the tone change with different pole pieces picking up different strings? (G string pole piece picking up the E string, for example). When Hendrix did his little ghetto flip, he neglected to replace the pickups at all, resulting in a different tone (bass strings became punchy, treble were more mellow), does the same idea apply to "Hendrix flipping" a bass?
Last edited by NorseGodofRock at Nov 3, 2007,
Funny, I was thinking about trying the same thing. I'll be sure to check back on this thread, since I've got a lot of the same questions as you. I'd imagine, however, that the pickup situation would be similar.
dont do it on a p or jazz bass

dean has a bass for like $200 and its a lot better looking when flipped

and here comes the link

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Demonator-Metalman-4String-Bass?sku=519350

EDIT: but then again, that does kinda take away from the hendrix "flipped" look
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by NorseGodofRock
Yea, I know about the intonation. Would I need to modify the bridge at all aside from adjusting intonation? I'm pretty sure I got to replace the nut, right?

Anyway, the tone question was based more on the pickups then anything else. How would the tone change with different pole pieces picking up different strings? (G string pole piece picking up the E string, for example). When Hendrix did his little ghetto flip, he neglected to replace the pickups at all, resulting in a different tone (bass strings became punchy, treble were more mellow), does the same idea apply to "Hendrix flipping" a bass?

it'll sound like a bass with a reverse p bass pickup would, as in punchier bass and more mellow treble.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
it'll sound like a bass with a reverse p bass pickup would, as in punchier bass and more mellow treble.

I figured as much on a P bass with the split coil, but would it make a difference on a flipped J bass?
nope wouldn't make any difference at all
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Intonation and nut...that's really it.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Why exactly?

Think about, you'd hit the other strings more often when you slapped and you would have to move your hand up a few inch if you wanted to pop. So you'd be slower and less accurate in my humble opinion.
Quote by Captain Insano
Think about, you'd hit the other strings more often when you slapped and you would have to move your hand up a few inch if you wanted to pop. So you'd be slower and less accurate in my humble opinion.

But if it was restrung, like what should be done, it'd be the same as a left handed person slapping, and there'd be no problem.
According to wikipedia:

"Another remarkable fact about Hendrix is that he was left-handed, yet used right-handed guitars, playing them upside-down but re-strung for playing left-handed, so that the heavier strings were in their standard position at the top of the neck.[18] He preferred this layout because the tremolo arm and volume and tone controls were more easily accessible above the strings, but it also had an important effect on the sound of his guitar: because of the stagger of the pickups' pole pieces, his lowest string had a bright sound while his highest string had a mellow sound—the opposite of the Strat's intended design. This effect was exaggerated by the slant of the Strat's bridge pickup."

Yes, so exactly what I said before, you shouldn't have any problems, and if you have p-pups, you lower strings will be mellower, and you top one should be brighter.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Nov 3, 2007,
Quote by Captain Insano

...Aside from the fact that its entirely possible (albeit harder) to slap the D and G strings and pop the A and E strings. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cc-WM_pxTo

Which is a moot point in of its self as this entire thread has been about how, as a lefty player, I would go about converting a right handed bass for lefty use.

To get back on topic, I'd probably end up putting a strap button on the lower cutaway horn thingie as well. Would the balance be off at all? I've had some bad experience with those pesky divebombing T birds and I don't want to repeat that.
Last edited by NorseGodofRock at Nov 4, 2007,
Quote by Captain Insano

wait is he actually left handed or just flipping it to play upside down, because then i could see what you're saying, but if he was left handed wouldn't it be the same thing as slapping with a left handed bass?
Quote by Zar938
wait is he actually left handed or just flipping it to play upside down, because then i could see what you're saying, but if he was left handed wouldn't it be the same thing as slapping with a left handed bass?

Yeah, this may sound rather noobish, but I was like hendrix flip, oh playing a righty left handed. Not play a righty, left handed with the strings flipped over.
Quote by Zar938

I play guitar righty, but I'm actually left handed and want to learn to play the bass lefty. Instead of buying a brand new lefty bass I thought I'd just buy a used righty one and convert it.

Quote by Captain Insano
Yeah, this may sound rather noobish, but I was like hendrix flip, oh playing a righty left handed. Not play a right left handed with the strings flipped over.

Yea, Hendrix flipped the strings as well when he flipped his guitar.
my guitar teacher (guitar not bass) at school said he once tried that but a left flipping to a right
he said the slanted pick up now slanting the other way really made a difference in the tone he said it was awesome..........i dont kno if that helps or not

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....