Hi there,

I don't want to be another n00b asking for advice on what gear to buy, but alas, I am!

I've done a bit of research, but found it all to be rather confusing. Basically what I'm after is a decent sounding and versatile amp, mainly for metal, and a pedal that will help get some sick metal tones (if required).

I was looking at the Roland Cube 30 or 60 and the Peavey Royal 8.

I have a 1989 Ibanex RG550 and after something that is good for bedroom playing and maybe some jam sessions with friends, nothing gig-worthy needed yet.

The sort of bands I play are Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, Maiden and a bit of indie and rock. Versatility isn't too much of an issue, I'd sacrafice it for better metal and hard rock tones as long as cleans are fairly decent.

Thanks in advance for any help and contributions to this thread.

-Charlie =]
-=[Ibanex RG550 '89 Black :: Ibanez GX 70 Metallic Blue :: Squier Strat Black :: Marshall MG15DFX]=-
if your getting a pedal, dont get a cube
look for a tube amp with nice cleans and then get a good od/dist pedal, i cant help you on this side since i kinda am in the same position
wahts your budget? nvm, i saw the title Lol
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Roland Cube 30 would be perfect. 60 might be too much. I wouldn't get a pedal until you use the amp and see if you like the distortion on it or not.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by Popsai
if your getting a pedal, dont get a cube
look for a tube amp with nice cleans and then get a good od/dist pedal, i cant help you on this side since i kinda am in the same position
wahts your budget?

he already stated under £250.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
i know, i didnt really read all the title x)
Quote by Reincaster

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

You could get the Royal 8 and an Electro Harmonix Metal Muff. That would give you a good metal tone and cost less than £250, meaning you may be able to get an EQ as well.
Quote by Denthúl
You could get the Royal 8 and an Electro Harmonix Metal Muff. That would give you a good metal tone and cost less than £250, meaning you may be able to get an EQ as well.

That was the combination I was looking at after finding out about the Peavey.

I was wondering what the opinions of the UG community would be =]
-=[Ibanex RG550 '89 Black :: Ibanez GX 70 Metallic Blue :: Squier Strat Black :: Marshall MG15DFX]=-
If you can find one you might want to look at the 40 watt Ashdown Fallen Angel...very hard to find now due to being discontinued but just a tiny bit over budget and a hell of a lot of amp for the money.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If I do go down the Peavey route, is the Metal Muff the best metal distortion for the money?
Quote by CPOliver
If I do go down the Peavey route, is the Metal Muff the best metal distortion for the money?

its pretty good, wouldnt say the best since i havent tryed many
Quote by Reincaster

Quote by shredhead22

for the money? yes

overall? still an excellent pedal
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Has anyone got any suggestions for other amps to use in unison with the metal muff? I was thinking maybe a non-modelling solid state, but I'm not sure what would be the best?
I second the fallen angel. Be careful though - there is a hybrid version, which looks very similar.
Also, maybe a laney vc15/used vc 30 and a metal muff, or a used dsl401/jcm900.

good luck
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.