im now learning how to play a 5 string and i am wondering what is a good starting tab to get used to the b string
Chainsaw Guts**** by Mayhem
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Raped by the Beast or Frantic Disembowelment by Cannibal Corpse. They might be a little too hard, though.
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Raped by the Beast or Frantic Disembowelment by Cannibal Corpse. They might be a little too hard, though.

If he's just got a fiver, you don't suggest ANYTHING by CC

TS, to get that low B in, try extending scales below the root and incorporate them into your practice sessions.
Check out some Between the Buried and Me. Though you'd need to tune it C# standard (G#-C#-F#-B-E).
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
..... ummm some godsmack stuff is quite easy to play on a standard 5 string it just requires some thinking
I am me. Live with it.
look into some mudvayne from the L.D.50 album. i think most if not all the songs are on a 5-string, but then again, some are a little hard :S
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Most stuff on LD50 is 4 string, down tuned to drop B.

Orly?
my friend who plays bass must have alot of time on his hands for converting tabs on gp from 4 to 5 string
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by Phillitalian
Orly?
my friend who plays bass must have alot of time on his hands for converting tabs on gp from 4 to 5 string

Yes, he does. And I do the same.

Plus it takes about 3 seconds to convert gp tabs from 4 to 5 string

Trust me, LD50 is 4 string, drop B tuning. The only music videos I've seen him with a 5 string is A World So Cold and Happy?. World So Cold is 5 string tuned to drop B, with the low B dropped to Eb, and Happy is tuned GCGCF.

EDIT: Plus, a while ago I read in an interview that before LD50 he used a 5 string a lot, but he felt that he didn't use the 5th string enough to warrant it's use, so he switched to 4 string Thumbs before LD50, and tuned it to drop B, like Greg.
Primus- My Name is Mud

just about the line i know that specifically uses the low B (i used to tune it with a high c)
Nickelback songs are pretty cool for a beginning five-string player. Check out my tab of 'Figured You Out'...most of the song is on the low B.

Another good exercise is to take a song in drop-D or drop-C and re-arrange it for a standard five string. A wicked workout is 'Wishbone' by Dropbox...I think they play in either drop or straight C so you'll have to fret the low notes. The main riff'll give your fret hand biceps.
Animal I Have Become, Three Days Grace

Point Of Extinction, Motion City Soundtrack (all the b string does is:

E|--4-------|
B|-----6-6--|

during th chorus...but it's still a sweet song.)
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Quote by TheBassMan3
Animal I Have Become, Three Days Grace

I spent a few minutes re-arranging that song for a five-string last week. Cool, groovy riff that is much more fun to play on five than detuned four.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Most stuff on LD50 is 4 string, down tuned to drop B.

Not necessarily true. On the ozzfest 2001 videos, he's playing a 5 for all of the LD50 songs.

Though he does tune up half a step (why they tune to C is beyond me).
Guy Stabs

-like a snail along a straight razor, dividing itself through motion
M E S H U G G A H
Quote by kasso99
Not necessarily true. On the ozzfest 2001 videos, he's playing a 5 for all of the LD50 songs.

Though he does tune up half a step (why they tune to C is beyond me).

Odd, since on the Mudvayne DVD he uses 4's nearly exclusively.

And LD50 is drop B. EOATTC is a mix of drop B and drop C, and L+F is drop C.

EDIT: However, I'm not sure about the days before LD50, as in the Kill, I Oughta EP... I am pretty sure Coal may be in 5 string standard, but my tuning info from LD50 onwards is correct.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Nov 5, 2007,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
And LD50 is drop B.

Not on the Ozzfest 2001 tour it's not. Check the vids online (don't remember where I found them). The tuning is exactly 1/2 step higher than on the LD50 cd.
Guy Stabs

M E S H U G G A H
Sad but True by Metallica gets that b going since it is neede in the verse and in the chorus.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
And I'm not here to argue about the goddamn tunings, even if it came across that way. I meant to negate the other poster so that the T.S. wouldn't shy away from playing to LD50 on a standard tuned 5 string bass, as it is entirely possible and easy to do, and almost necessary for DIG, which requires a finger fixed on the 2nd fret of the B string and two others on the 3 and 4 frets of the top strings to match the song's slap introduction.
Guy Stabs

M E S H U G G A H
Quote by slap-a-bass
gasoline by audioslave

I'm pretty sure Tim C plays 4 strings exclusively, but one of his basses is tuned BEAD.

I mean, you can certainly play it on a 5, but I'm just saying...

"The Dark Eternal Night" by Dream Theater is played on a 6, but most of it is playable on a 5.

"Selkies: The Endless Obsession" by Betwen the Buried and Me
Quote by Charlatan_001
I'm pretty sure Tim C plays 4 strings exclusively, but one of his basses is tuned BEAD.

I mean, you can certainly play it on a 5, but I'm just saying...

He does, namely 4-string Fender Jazz basses, he inverts the headstock for a tighter B though, with Tele necks.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.