I have a Marshall DSL401 and I was looking for a pedal that I use to gain an overdrive that could play metal like Metallica, Pantera and Trivium. What would it be? I use an Epiphone SG with stock pickups. Ive thought about a boost pedal, an EQ, and either a overdrive or distortion pedal. What would be best for what I'm trying to get?
I'm thinkin MXR 10-band EQ in the FX loop.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
metal muff? that's a distortion pedal.

you want to be looking at an mxr overdrive, try the zakk wylde overdrive pedal, I've heard good things about those from metal guitarists.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Bad Monkey, mabye a used ZW-44.

y used? he never said anything about a price limit.
but anyway, TS, to get metallica, you probably need an EQ pedal along with an overdrive, because the overdrive just gives you a bit more gain and a tighter bass. The DSL has lots of mids, so the EQ would get u a scooped tone for metallica. and an EQ would also tighten up the bass (if the overdrive is not enough) for pantera.
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
^Because there's just no good reason to spend more for the same pedal. He didn't offer a price point, so I threw him a couple $50-60 options, instead of just saying "Fulltone OCD, Danelectro Fab Overdrive, mabye a Blues Driver".
ive got a ZW-44 overdrive and im playing through a traynor 40 watt tube amp, it definitly gives the amp what it is lacking, im pretty happy with the pedal, also i would recommend an eq pedal with that overdrive because you will notice some bass response loss, so the eq pedal would just make up for it, but a good pedal none the less
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White) (retired)
Gibson Les Paul Swamp Ash studio
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Tobacco Burst)

Bass
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz
ok then im thinking of getting the ts9 then what about the eq pedal?
which eq should i get? i like the MXR's so far, especially the kerry king eq.
good choice, cant go wrong with an mxr 10 band eq!
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White) (retired)
Gibson Les Paul Swamp Ash studio
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Tobacco Burst)

Bass
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz
dont get the kerry king EQ. its just the same other than the fact that it can "punish two amps at once" and better looking graphics, for quite alot more. 10 band=more shaping options. 6 band - less.
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
7 band EQs is pretty much all you'll ever need, unless you've got money to burn on the 10 band.
MXR ZW overdrives are not that great. A modded Boss SD-1 is pretty much all it is just with more noise.
^+1 about the KK EQ. The Boss is a decent 7 band, even the Danelectro is a pretty good EQ for the price. The cheaper MXR band is also good, but with less shaping options than the other two I've mentioned.
TS9 is a good overdrive, you should really just try out as many options as you can, just because it's the most expensive doesn't mean it's the best.