Poll: Is Jimi Henrix overrated?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is Jimi Henrix overrated?
Yes
38 45%
No
47 55%
Who?
0 0%
Voters: 85.
I certainly think so. He's not what everyone says he is. Just because of easy songs with Wah pedals like the Star Spangled Banner or Voodoo Child, people think he's a god. He's not. He was good, but IMO he's not even in my top 20 favorite guitarist. I do enjoy his music but he is too overrated.
Quote by SG5533
You just realized that?.............................

No, but I just decided to make a thread about it
you probably just havent heard of of his material, im not saying he is a god or anything, but he did have a passion for the music he played and i think thats what sets him apart from other musicians.
ok. here's my 2 cents. jimi hendrix is in the top 5 of my fav. guitarists ever and i will explain why. it's not always about how fast you play, or how technical you are. it's not even about how difficult the music is. jimi is considered a "god" by many because of what he did and when he did it. during the 60's clapton, page, and beck were the "guitar gods". they were pushing the limits of the guitar like no one had ever done before by mixing american blues, rockabilly, country, and yada yada yada... the problem is that they could never seem as "sincere" if you will.
hendrix came out and was doing pretty much the same thing they were doing except better. he pushed the evelope further and did it "sincerely". and yes, he did use effects. but not the same way as everyone else was doing it. they had the same basic pedals of the day but they also made new ones and "hot-rodded" the old ones. and while voodoo chile' might not be the most difficult song int he world to play it's still a damn good song and shocked the people of the 60's.
and songs like "little wing", "all along the watchtower", "if 6 was 9", and "manic depression" are also not difficult songs to learn but the era in which he wrote/played them makes them special.

sorry it's so long
He's as overrated as The Beatles or Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd or any other band from that period of time. He did great things, and I personally love the man, but at the same time I'm pretty sure he's overrated, although he took electric guitar to a completely new level. He is not acknowledged for his flawless guitar technique (as you seem to think, no offense), but more for his talent for songwriting and innovaton.
He was somewhat revolutionary...people can't hear that these days, but back in the 60s it must've been mind-blowing.

Not a huge Hendrix fan but I can appreciate what he did.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by vjferrara
ok. here's my 2 cents. jimi hendrix is in the top 5 of my fav. guitarists ever and i will explain why. it's not always about how fast you play, or how technical you are. it's not even about how difficult the music is. jimi is considered a "god" by many because of what he did and when he did it. during the 60's clapton, page, and beck were the "guitar gods". they were pushing the limits of the guitar like no one had ever done before by mixing american blues, rockabilly, country, and yada yada yada... the problem is that they could never seem as "sincere" if you will.
hendrix came out and was doing pretty much the same thing they were doing except better. he pushed the evelope further and did it "sincerely". and yes, he did use effects. but not the same way as everyone else was doing it. they had the same basic pedals of the day but they also made new ones and "hot-rodded" the old ones. and while voodoo chile' might not be the most difficult song int he world to play it's still a damn good song and shocked the people of the 60's.
and songs like "little wing", "all along the watchtower", "if 6 was 9", and "manic depression" are also not difficult songs to learn but the era in which he wrote/played them makes them special.

sorry it's so long

I know it's not how fast you play. It's about emotion, which I never really felt was there in Jimi's music.
I know many don't realize this, but if it wasn't for Hendrix, I'd bet more than half of you kids would have never even picked up a guitar. Even if you aren't a fan of Hendrix, the artists who have inspired you to pick up a guitar most likely were.

It's like a Domino Effect.
Quote by rocker931
I know it's not how fast you play. It's about emotion, which I never really felt was there in Jimi's music.

This statement is so ignorant I'm almost slapping myself for even responding. Have you ever even watched Hendrix play? Apparently you've heard him, how can you say you never "felt" the emotion in his music?
Quote by CousticStrangla
This statement is so ignorant I'm almost slapping myself for even responding. Have you ever even watched Hendrix play? Apparently you've heard him, how can you say you never "felt" the emotion in his music?

YOU MUST PUNISH THE IGNORANT PRICK NOWWW!!!
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
when bows and arrows were made they absoloutly pwned the guys with swords, but now a guy with a bow and arrow wouldn't stand a chance against a guy with a gun or something. My point is that Jimi Hendrix was such an amazing and innovative guitarist for when he was playing, thats why people hold his songs and playing in such high respect, even though there have been technically better players since his time
POST FINDER
Quote by rocker931
I certainly think so. He's not what everyone says he is. Just because of easy songs with Wah pedals like the Star Spangled Banner or Voodoo Child, people think he's a god. He's not. He was good, but IMO he's not even in my top 20 favorite guitarist. I do enjoy his music but he is too overrated.

lets see you pull off those crazy ass bomb sounds and other stuff

hendrix was extremely inventive and and very emotional player, not overrated
Hendrix may not be the fastest or best guitarist of all time, but at his time there way nobody like him. Nobody was pulling of the things Hendrix was pulling off, he was a revolutionary, he was ahead of his time and thats why he is so great, he pulled of stuff 40 years ago that people today ae still trying to play, and thats why he's a great guitar player.
Quote by rocker931

He's not God (Clapton is), but sure as hell isn't 'overrated'
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by rocker931

do I need to say something here?

Quote by CousticStrangla

+1

Jimi's not overrated, but he is underrated by those of you who think he is.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
hum anyone who thinks jimi hendrix is overrated go listen to blink 182 or greenday

ya i think your wrong
Quote by Mr.Bassanator
hum anyone who thinks jimi hendrix is overrated go listen to blink 182 or greenday

ya i think your wrong

LOL
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Most people that think he's overrated don't seem to fully comprehend what he did, and how he played. Since Jimi's death, no one has been able to coax the same sounds out of a guitar. He had a special touch that can't really be recreated.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Quote by alliwant
He was somewhat revolutionary...people can't hear that these days, but back in the 60s it must've been mind-blowing.

Not a huge Hendrix fan but I can appreciate what he did.

yeah thats it, people dont appreciate it these days because people because they have heard it all before, back in the 60's this was different to every other bad out there, he was all for performing
I recognize his influence. However, his songwriting and vocals were pretty mediocre and the odd occasion I put on Are You Experienced I skip over half the songs. He's basicaly been improved upon and so I can't see much reason to listen to him.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

I think he's a pretty good guitarist technically, and I like how much emotion he puts into his music. (Which is why I love George Harrison's guitar work so much)

I used to think he was largely overrated, but lately ive been listening to him more and more and Ive come to appreciate him a bit better.

But yea, I have a feeling most people that think Hendrix is the God of Guitar havent even heard a lot of his stuff... but just assume that he's awesome because everyone always talks about him.
To musicians he isnt really overrated, many dont even like him. He did revolutionize guitar more than almost all other guitarists. And I personally feel that his vocals and songwriting are equal to or maybe better than his guitar playing ability. Are You Experienced is not the album to see this though. You should listen to Axis: Bold As Love and Electric Ladyland and Band of Gypsies too, there is really some great stuff on those.
Who...?
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
to an extent yes but he is still one of the best so no
Quote by Andjustice.....

i could see that being liek a sign at an entrace to a theme park ,"remember to always be safe dont litter and remember to have a nice day in my pants!"

Quote by Robbie n strat
"If you listen really carefully, you can hear carrots scream when you cut them."
He's definitely not overrated if Slowhand himself(Clapton) said holy **** the first time he saw him play... (read that in Guitar World xD)
His studio recorded albums/songs sound pretty good however the first time I heard his music was on a live album and i must say it didnt sound great at all...it sounded all out of tune in places...I guess you could blame the equipment or the fact that he was stoned out of his mind.

I cant really decide what I think of his music because his live work isnt very good yet his studio work sounds much better...to be honest I think the sound guys in the studio had alot to do with making Him a better sounding artist...im sure there was a lot of editing going on there.

Also the backwards guitar thing (which I dont like) was invented by the sound guys in the studio and not by hendrix.
Go to this page to hear my original song recordings

Click Here
Speaking from his technical ability, yes. I know people who think he is the best at guitar because he can play fast. That always, ALWAYS pisses me off. However, as an inspirational force, he is extremely underrated, a lot of people may not realize just how big of an impact Hendrix has had on all of today's music. While personally, I don't really enjoy his music (It just never struck a chord with me), I do credit him for being one of the biggest inspirational forces on guitar that spawned many good and bad guitar players. He is overrated speaking in terms of technical abilities, but if it wasn't for him, tons of my favorite guitar players probably would've never picked up a guitar. Also, it doesn't matter whether someone plays with emotion or not, because if isn't moved or doesn't enjoy listening to it, then it doesn't matter how much "emotion" someone plays with. PS (on a second note, I also think Clapton is a bit overrated as well, just a little.)
easier question, name a guitarist who can play melody, lead, harmony, bass and rhythm in a piece. then let us pick.

the reason OP, with all due respect meant, the reason why you have no idea why some do is because you were born nearly 20 years after JH left us physically.

i myself suck, badly, at guitar, can i tell the difference between music and shred? fukn oats.

to previous poster, anyone who said jimi played fast or even tried too does not know blues or his intent with it surely. in fact i think jimi would have kept up with any modern day shredder if that was his fantasy. but who wants to sound like a random drum machine on a fretboard? i dont think jimi did. if so my apologies. i know that wasnt your intention.

im not one to say use the search engine, so i will say, use fkn youtube, ask your folks, ask someone who can actually play hendrix like hendrix (ok so not everyone knows srv), then post such questions.

sorry if i seem a little like over it, but i am.

this is not a, oh he was great so he must be the best ever thing man, just try and play hendrix as he played it, then come back with how good you are.

tell me OP, who you reckon is better?

***edit***

i had to say, i didnt even mention progression of music because i think thats a piss poor reason to say why JH is the best, JH vs YM, lol, go figure. some would seriouslly try to compare, some would serious, no serious they do, even on a guitar forum, no serious, why? f'd knows. im a fan of EV, but i dont expect EV to compare himself to JH and why should he, different era. but progression has no bearing on what is musically considered classic. mozart vs YM? hmmmm

you reckon jimi had net in 50s? tabs? youtube? fixed state amps? modelling? someone to hold his hand? silly me, of course he did, thats how they use to teach, string it upside for lefties, didnt your tutor show u.
Last edited by fiztech at Nov 8, 2007,
The biggest problem is that most of you in here are just kids. And I mean that in the nicest sense, I'm only 18 myself. But no matter what your thoughts on him are, you were not alive when he came around. When he showed up on the scene guitarists minds were blown. He changed the face of rock music. So what if some of his songs were 'easy' as one person said, songs don't need to be hard to be good.

Hear my train a comin' (acoustic):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je9O-VdrZ0E

Fire (Live at Woodstock):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr8YPjhJgDI

Music isn't a contest. I'm sure plenty of you are more technically skilled than him, I may even be, but none of us are going to revolutionise western music the way he did.
No he is not overrated. When i watch those videos of him playing at Woodstock and the video of him playing 'I don't live today' I still have those feelings of awe and wonder. He's so good that I forget what other people think about him even while i'm watching everyone dancing or just staring at him, it doesn't matter to me. It's like he's just speaking to me and everything else is pure nonsense. Who gives about everyone else who makes music. It's bloody Jimi Hendrix!
another one of these...Jimi could shred, he just didnt do it often, it was his improvisations that killed people.
u are so stupid!jimi hendrix is one of the most melodic guitarist ever.he has inspired everyone from slash to jimmy page.
im 20 and hendrix made and inspired most of the guitarist out today. he played lead rytham and bass, he didnt care about playing it fast! townsend and clapo both were in awww of him and he worked his way to the top, at that time black people had lttle repect i read that he had trouble geting into taxis cause he was black. so thread statrter are you saying blink 182 is better than hendrix are you saying greenday is better than hendrix i guess you are right comeback when you grow a pair.
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
Quote by steee21
Everyones overrated.

I'm not sure if you were posting this with a sarcastic air, but nonetheless I agree with you.

The truth is that from any standpoint a guitarist (or any musician, for that matter) can be seen as overrated.

Why? Because they're all human; perfection is something that cannot be achieved. I have seen numerous posts both in this thread and other threads that deal with the same subject (there seem to a lot of them, don't there?) where people question his ability as a guitarist because he can't shred.

WOW. Big ****ing deal.

Perhaps the reason he didn't shred was because it wasn't part of his style, or maybe because shred wasn't really a prominent form of music until the late-70s and early-80s when guitarists such as Eddie Van Halen and Yngwie Malmsteen became part of the seen. During Jimi's time, the "shredders" were jazz guitarists who are very different the modern-day shredder.