Poll Options
View poll results: Is Jimi Overrated
Yes
126 41%
No
179 58%
Voters: 306.
Page 1 of 3
nah i dont think he's overrated, he might not have been a theory wizz, but was a master at what he was doing!
yes he is.
but make no mistake, while IMO he is very overated, he basicaly re-invented the way electric guitar is played, just not to the extent some think. Also IMO as a guitarist hes eh, but as a studio technition (sp?) and songwriter hes rather awesome.
to me, hes not some sort of god like a lot of people think, he was a very innovative guitar player, but he wasn't the best out
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by bikersbasin
nah i dont think he's overrated, he might not have been a theory wizz, but was a master at what he was doing!

He knows much more theory than what people usually credit him.

When you read the music sheets you totally understand why and how he wrote his stuff, a lot of it much more complex than most blues rock bands from the 60s and 70s.

I hate it when people say he didn't know what he was doing, it's a myth.
as far as skill goes i think he is pretty overratred. his stuff isn't very impressive to me as far as technicality goes. his songs are still good though.
When people (including me) say he's the "greatest" guitarist, it's as much his personality as his playing ability. The whole attitude he brought to guitar has influenced everything since.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
I'm not a huge classic rock guy, namely, not really at all, but it seems the majority of people claiming he's overrated are embittered Zeppelin fanboys who want Page to top every "x Greatest Guitarists" polls, and the stereotypical* metal fan who thinks good guitarist = fast and loud.

And Anty 7 was right regarding his theoretical knowledge. People hear the myths and believe it, but the guy played with a LOT of big names in R&B, Sam Cooke, Little Richard, Ike & Tina Turner, etc way before he was famous. You don't do that unless you KNOW what you're doing.

It's pretty tough to be overrated when you've got a legacy like he left behind. And that's coming from someone who doesn't really listen to his stuff.

* (stressed in order to avoid backlash by insecure metal fans who manage to defend their favourite genre regardless of whether someone is being negative about it or not.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Angry-Mares
Nobody has come close to doing the things he did, nobody will.

End of story.

How so?

I certainly give him a lot of credit for being innovative, for being the figure who really popularised the guitar and for influencing so many guitarists. But as I've said before, there were many other fantastic guitarists around at his time (and long before), especially those playing Jazz and Classical, who were far, far superior technically and musically. So in a sense I'd say he's overrated, especially when he's called 'the best guitarist in history' - I'd say 'the most influential', but not 'the best', not by a long shot.

However, in saying that, it really is far too hard to rank guitarists, as people give such different weight to the different qualities in a guitarist.

Edit, to the guy below me, two of those things you listed are nothing more than gimics, and he did play left handed?!
Jimi is the best guitarist of all tim eand like angry said nobody can do the things Hendrix can do.Do even half of youse know that he could play with his teeth, backwards and right handed( he was left handed).Just think can any of youse play that good?
no hes not at all. hes the reason i picked up a guitar. every song he has made has been so different that it just blows my mind how many ideas he had
Quote by Kiwi Ace
How so?

I certainly give him a lot of credit for being innovative, for being the figure who really popularised the guitar and for influencing so many guitarists. But as I've said before, there were many other fantastic guitarists around at his time (and long before), especially those playing Jazz and Classical, who were far, far superior technically and musically. So in a sense I'd say he's overrated, especially when he's called 'the best guitarist in history' - I'd say 'the most influential', but not 'the best', not by a long shot.

However, in saying that, it really is far too hard to rank guitarists, as people give such different weight to the different qualities in a guitarist.

/thread

EDIT: I wouldn't say most influential though.
It's the fact that his playing is 100% soulful and with a message attached. Not to mention the creative and tonal / musical ideas he had.
i dont get it how people can say that some one is musically superior. How can you be musically superior? You can have superior tachnique, you can have a superior amp, you might have a better trained ear (as for jimi, he had absolute pitch so you can't really get any better than that), but music, is too far a complex thing for some one to decide who is musically superior
Rig:

Gibson ES-335
Peavy Classic 30
Any person in this thread who plays rock electric guitar and answered "yes" needs to die.

Now.
Death to Ovation haters!
Overall I would say he wasn't. I mean if you go up to anyone in public and say "Name a guitarist NOW!" They would definitely say Hendrix.
he got the style, but technically-speaking is a lot behind steve vai, malmsteen and other virtuosos.
I HAVE A SIG AND IT'S HUGE LOL
Quote by MikeDee
he got the style, but technically-speaking is a lot behind steve vai, malmsteen and other virtuosos.

Please. Hendrix had a tremendous amount of technical skill. He just played a different style of music. Hendrix would play circles around Vai in a blues jam.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by PatchworkMan
Any person in this thread who plays rock electric guitar and answered "yes" needs to die.

Now.

I'd rather not die since it's my fucking opinion.
Please. Hendrix had a tremendous amount of technical skill. He just played a different style of music. Hendrix would play circles around Vai in a blues jam

hm, i wasnt aware blues jams were about playing circles around someone else?
What i think is important about hendrix, is the amount of emotion he puts into his songs, the way he looks like he's enjoying himself all the time, and i've seen clapton videos were he looks really bored, i suppose you could call it showing off but i love Hendrix. Except his singing i didn't really like that :s
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by MikeDee

Responses like this suggest to me that you know very little about music and have not been playing very long.

Quote by tehREALcaptain

No kidding. This thread is a cesspool.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by oZone_TNS
I'd rather not die since it's my fucking opinion.

People who dodge the language filter should also die.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by tehREALcaptain

They're not. But that's not the point. The point is that it takes no less technical skill to play Hendrix than to play Vai.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by jakerickman9208
yay or nay

"I'm Jimi Hendrix and you know nothing of my work."

Woody Allen quotes ftw.
Feed your mind.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
to me, hes not some sort of god like a lot of people think, he was a very innovative guitar player, but he wasn't the best out

I enjoy me a Hendrix tune now and then, but I don't worship him.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by bluesmaster
i dont get it how people can say that some one is musically superior. How can you be musically superior? You can have superior tachnique, you can have a superior amp, you might have a better trained ear (as for jimi, he had absolute pitch so you can't really get any better than that), but music, is too far a complex thing for some one to decide who is musically superior

+1

i love hendrix and he's 1 of my favorite guitarists but, its really all just a matter of opinion IMO he is not over rated and was a great guitarist
FRO POWER!!!
he was a one hit wonder who people put on a pedestal because he died so young.

I appreciate that he inspired a lot of people to play guitar but I dont think he's worthy of the amount of praise a lot of people give him. He's like dime. Sure they were good but because they're dead, they'll be blindly praised by fanboys who don't know the first thing about him.

as evidenced by the fact that most people assume he knew nothing about theory.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by PatchworkMan
Please. Hendrix had a tremendous amount of technical skill. He just played a different style of music. Hendrix would play circles around Vai in a blues jam.

Thank You!
You have just said albeit in a slightly different way what i've always thought about Vai et al. People always say oh he practices ten hours a day, but i'm pretty confident Hendrix did too, the point is they practiced different things. While Vai could play chromatics ascending up the strings far quicker than Hendrix, i don't doubt for a second that i'd rather have Hendrix playing in a blues or classic rock band.
Page 1 of 3