I have a 2006 American Series Strat, standard model. I got home this evening from the store where I originally bought it, having left it there for a week while they carried out some mods I wanted done.

These were:

1. Replace the factory tuners with locking ones (as found on the American Deluxe Strats)
2. Replace the factory pickups with Custom Shop '69 pickups

I was so excited to hear the guitar with the newly fitted pickups I must have sat playing it for a couple of hours (boy do I love the sound of those CS 69 pickups!) then I noticed a couple of small holes in the headstock...sure enough the string guide had been removed.

I checked the bag of bits and pieces the store handed to me (which includes the original pickups and tuners) and I noticed the string guide had been placed in a reseable bag of its own.

Too late to call the store now and the guitar tech who carried out the mods won't be back until Monday in any case. I'll call him mid-week in any case but thought I'd throw the question out on this forum...I'm sure one of the experts lurking here can put me out of my misery

It seems odd to me that the string guide would need to be removed so I can't help but think there must be a valid reason why the guy did it, and did not re-fit it afterwards. I'm curious as to why though. Did he just forget to re-fit or is there another reason???

Maybe the Deluxe Strats use a different height or size of string guide? I don't know...but hopefully somebody here will be able to enlighten me?

The holes don't bother me too much but I am intrigued about this as I thought the string guides were there for a good reason...
kipper15

Guitar: Fender MIA 2006 Strat, Callaham upgrades
Pickups: Fender Custom Shop '69
Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
FX: Boss ME-50, Boss FBM-1, Boss FDR-1, Boss FRV-1, Boss GE-7, Vox Wah Wah, Dunlop Crybaby
Misc: Vox JamVOX, Dr Z Air Brake
Quote by kipper15

The holes don't bother me too much but I am intrigued about this as I thought the string guides were there for a good reason...

They are there for a reason. With a straight pull headstock, the higher strings normally have too shallow of an angle from the nut to the tuner. The string guides make sure that the strings have a steep enough angle at the nut.

The string guides also do something heinous. They cause a slight binding when tuning the strings. Sometimes there will be more tension from the tuner to the string guide than from the string guide to the rest of the string. Over time, this equalizes and the string will go slightly sharp.

I suspect the new tuners might be "shorter" and provide enough angle.

OR the luthiers just forgot to put the guides back on.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
The string guides also do something heinous. They cause a slight binding when tuning the strings. Sometimes there will be more tension from the tuner to the string guide than from the string guide to the rest of the string. Over time, this equalizes and the string will go slightly sharp.

Yeah, one way to fix that would be to get those roller-string guides.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

I suspect the new tuners might be "shorter" and provide enough angle.

OR the luthiers just forgot to put the guides back on.

Thanks. I am thinking most likely the former but I guess I'll get the definitive answer when I speak with him [the tech] in the next few days.
kipper15

FX: Boss ME-50, Boss FBM-1, Boss FDR-1, Boss FRV-1, Boss GE-7, Vox Wah Wah, Dunlop Crybaby
Last edited by kipper15 at Nov 3, 2007,
Quote by livrockdie
I thought that some locking tuners are staggered so you dont need string guides.

The factory supplied tuners were staggered too. Been too busy this week to call the guitar tech to find out why he did it but will do in the next week or so.
kipper15

Quote by livrockdie
I thought that some locking tuners are staggered so you dont need string guides.

Well....I spoke to the tech earlier this week, you're right he said the same thing. He also mentioned the tuning problems they introduce with locking tuners in place, as per SomeoneYouKnew's comments.

The tech said I could refit the guide if I'm bothered (which I'm not as it happens) about the two little holes in the headstock I can always pop it back in, just don't use it.

I changed a string the other night, boy are those locking tuners handy. So much quicker and a LOT less hassle, which is very useful for a novice like me
kipper15

put the srewks in just not the string guide
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Quote by t heff
put the srewks in just not the string guide

Thanks for the tip...will do just that when I get round to it.
kipper15