The series of tubes famously dubbed the ‘internets’ by president G.W. Bush* constitute a world wide web of interconnectedness. But, as this map demonstrates, there are some black holes in that web. They represent the 15 countries that limit or prohibit their citizens’ access to internet as a way of censoring the free flow of information.

Perhaps most notorious among those countries is China, with its Great Firewall (and its insistence on self-censorship by non-Chinese companies operating within the Middle Kingdom). Other countries also maintain firewalls, notably Saudi Arabia, while less-developed nations might just not allow their citizens to own computers.

This map was commissioned by Reporters Without Borders, which also publishes a World Ranking of press freedom. As the list of the 15 internet-restricting countries (followed by their ranking on said list) indicates, internet censorship is a strong indicator of press censorship in general:

1. Maldives (144)
2. Tunisia (148)
3. Belarus (151)
4. Libya (152)
5. Syria (153)
6. Vietnam (155)
7. Uzbekistan (158)
8. Nepal (159)
9. Saudi Arabia (161)
10. Iran (162)
11. China (163)
12. Myanmar/Burma (164)
13. Cuba (165)
14. Turkmenistan (167)
15. North Korea (168 and very last on the list)

A friend of happened to be in one of those countries earlier this year. While attempting to go online in a hotel, he was told that the “internet was closed for the day.” He should try again the next day, when there was supervision. Which he did as early as possible: had he waited too long, the internet undoubtedly would have been on its lunch break.

Thanks to Jack E. Alexander for pointing out this map, which can be found here . The official site for Reporters Without Borders is here .

* : it was Alaska Senator Ted Stevens who called the internet ‘a series of tubes’. George W. Bush referred to the world wide web as ‘the internets’ both in the 2000 and the 2004 presidential election campaigns.

So, anyone ever been to any of these countries and tried to access the internet?
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

I think some guy on here from one of the United Arab Emirate countries once found he couldn't access UG
i've been to one of those countries but i can't say i tried to access the internet there.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
I did not know about that. Thanks for posting this.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I am from Bahrain. There is nothing I can't access .
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
ummm i guess this is just some sort of the curent american goverment propagande... since Cuba and Iran are on the list :/.. correct me if i'm wrong but that's what i think...
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by darkstar2466
I did not know about that. Thanks for posting this.

This is why I am the coolest UGer.

I have lots more information about anything to give.

I'm a source of knowledge.

I was born in Uzbekistan but I left shortly after the Soviet Union fell so I wouldn't know. It still kind of surprised me to see that country on the list.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Quote by Child In Time
Did you mean 'censors'?

I think he meant to say "scissors."
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Serjem
ummm i guess this is just some sort of the curent american goverment propagande... since Cuba and Iran are on the list :/.. correct me if i'm wrong but that's what i think...
you're wrong

what would the US have to gain from telling people that other countries don't allow their citizens access to certain websites?

and i don't think it's even a US website/organization anyway
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Quote by Serjem

Yes, the fact that both countries are dictatorships have nothing to do with a chart which explains which countries have the least internet freedom.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by RageAgainst...

It isn't. It's from www.rsf.org which is about freedom or press, etc.

Quote by RageAgainst...
you're wrong

what would the US have to gain from telling people that other countries don't allow their citizens access to certain websites?

While I disagree with what he said because it was stupid, it does make sense for the USA to slander their enemies.
Meths, that post was less entertaining than your usual ones.

Did no-one else find the 'Great Firewall of China' amusing?
i liked the lunch break part =D
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by C.C. Deville
i liked the lunch break part =D

You know me, C.C., constant source of knowledge but also comedian.

Looking over the list I had to do a couple of double-takes. Wtf are the Maldives and Belarus doing on there?
^i was thinking that about belarus haha
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
I wouldn't be so surprised, except it makes you wonder just what the hell there is in Belarus or the Maldives worth the government hiding.