Poll: Born with or learned?
Poll Options
View poll results: Born with or learned?
Born with it
72 30%
Learned
172 70%
Voters: 244.
Page 1 of 3
So is musical ability something your born with or is it learned?

of course the instrument has to be learned but is the actually ability something you have to be born with.
Guitar:
Floyd Rose discovery series 3 (with speed loader bridge)
Gibson Les paul studio
Pedals:
Zoom G2.1U pedal
Amps:
vox valvetronix 50 watt
Dean "stack in a box" headphone amp
I say learned. When I first starting writing, I was terrible, now I'm slightly better =/
Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

This sig was too fucking big. Make it smaller next time, chief.
You cannot be born with musical ability, you can be born with superior mental capacity and hand eye coordination which may be applied to music.
How can you possibly be born with anything aside from your genetic make-up?

It's learned. To say anyone can possibly be born with musical talent is ridiculous.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
things like having a good ear for pitches and manual dexterity are all decided at birth, but you can easily practice and learn shiz like that to any level you want, from any any ability you start with
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Musical ability is learned.

The passion to play music is a personality trait learnt from the environment you grew up in.

My dad loves music, therefore I grew up with it everyday. That's transferred to me
I dunno id say a bit of both

put me in a room with a random instrument ive never played before and id be able to wack out some simple melodies in half an hour. Born with the ability to learn quickly.

on the other hand you have to learn to be goood at music

and experience helps :P

dude ?? have you ever had a casual coversation while having sex??

male:
" so erm .. wot do you think of bbc1 ?"
female:
" AAHHHH SH*T !!!! SH*T !!!!! "

Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Sex is over-rated. I prefer Pokemon Diamond.

HAHAHA ^^^ :P

Quote by PatchworkMan
Both.

/thread

Agreed. I lack natural ability, which just means I have to work harder at it.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
im naturally a musician, my parents predicted id be a musician when i was little. So for some, its natural. Natural players always seem like they have more enthusiasm towards music
Some people are born with a better perception of pitch and rhythm, and a greater natural ability to express themselves creatively. You'll never meet someone, for example, who studied and practiced until they acquired perfect pitch. You either have it or you don't.

Some people have natural talent, some people have learned skills. Good musicians have both.
Death to Ovation haters!
some is probaly natural, like perfect pitch youre born with it. by Musical Ability im assuming that you can make music with nice melodies. Some people are born with the ability to think of catchy melodies.
Quote by jacob23
im naturally a musician, my parents predicted id be a musician when i was little. So for some, its natural. Natural players always seem like they have more enthusiasm towards music

"Natural players" don't have to work as hard, so I would disagree.

As for "perfect pitch", that can be learned. People take courses on pitch recognition. It is a myth that it requires some divine inception. What do you think ear training is?
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Vornik
"Natural players" don't have to work as hard, so I would disagree.

As for "perfect pitch", that can be learned. People take courses on pitch recognition. It is a myth that it requires some divine inception. What do you think ear training is?

I was always told that ear training gives you relative pitch, because my music teacher said that he took a course on that and he said it would give a musician relative pitch while my friend has perfect pitch which he was born with.
SPACE FOR RENT
Quote by crazymanbigman

put me in a room with a random instrument ive never played before and id be able to wack out some simple melodies in half an hour. Born with the ability to learn quickly.

I'm the same way. It's a combination of both. And there's different genetic things that can be involved too. You could have better dexterity or more creativity or both.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by SeveralSpecies
You cannot be born with musical ability, you can be born with superior mental capacity and hand eye coordination which may be applied to music.

got it in one. you are born with no natural ability for anything, just ur mental/physical attributes lend themselves to certain tasks better
I have to say born with it, only because I know a couple of people who've been playing guitar for over 6 years, and still suck absolute balls.
its kind of both, like if you have no musical talent whatsoever and you try to play an instrument, of course you will suck. like my uncle, when he was 23 he tried to learn guitar, and after 2 years he could hardly play the rhythm for back in black, and he was also practicing like every day. so, if your born with some musical talent, you have to learn the rest
Quote by The Leader
You know what they found in Jeffrey Dahmers freezer?
...Ben and Jerry (ba dum bum psh)

Quote by ninemonthmedia
if there was a metal jail, Metallica would be Pantera’s bitch

RIP Kurt Cobain
RIP Dimebag Darrell
Burn in hell Nathan Gale
both....
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

I would have to say no to being born with any musical ability; you can however be born with some amount of talent. Think Jaco. He was ungodly good at bass. He had the natural talent.

/Thread
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Both. A mate of mine started playing at the same kinda time as me but he's a very musical guy with a musical family and I'm not so he ****s on everything I do and has like perfect ears whereas I'm like tone deaf. But I work hard to force the ability into me so I'm not bad. I think everyone can do it, but the natural ability makes it so much easier to learn and understand.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I think some people are just naturally good at music. just like some people are naturally good at sports, art, school etc.
Well, I think it's a mix of both. A friend of mine is a drummer, yet he can pick up pretty much every instrument, even if he's never played it before, and play it good enough so that it doesn't sound like he's a complete beginner. Yet he's obviously not as good at those instruments as people who have actually learned them.
Talent: Born with it.
Technique and theory: Learned.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
this is a nature-nurture discussion and cannot have an answer. It depends on which side of the debate you're on. Do you believe that we know how to walk when we're born and just have to develop our bodies to do so? Or do we learn from watching our siblings and parents? There is no way to get the answer, as we cannot read the minds of children. Until we can, all discussions like this are pointless.

sorry, Psychology class is getting to me...
I say Learned
Quote by Captain_Kickass
dreamtheater91 has destroyed my soul with that story

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

PSN name = liftingshadows
Both. Listen to Pablo Honey, then listen to In Rainbows, and you'll understand.
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA _D
_RAD IO HEA D
I think it's a little of both....at least for me

For my 6th b-day I had noticed I had a guitar cake while watching the home movies...(I'm making them all into DVDs.). I've always been into music....enjoyed listening to it and creating it.

I started on drums and they are my #1 instrument as I've spend the most time with it over the years but now I'm on guitar, keys, and vocals.

I've learned by playing on my own how to do different things with these instruments which is the learning part of the deal.
Both.

/thread

Agreed. Both, and it's also a matter of passion that drives it.

things like having a good ear for pitches and manual dexterity are all decided at birth, but you can easily practice and learn shiz like that to any level you want, from any any ability you start with

I'm the same way. It's a combination of both. And there's different genetic things that can be involved too. You could have better dexterity or more creativity or both.

its kind of both, like if you have no musical talent whatsoever and you try to play an instrument, of course you will suck. like my uncle, when he was 23 he tried to learn guitar, and after 2 years he could hardly play the rhythm for back in black, and he was also practicing like every day. so, if your born with some musical talent, you have to learn the rest

both....

Both.

Both. A mate of mine started playing at the same kinda time as me but he's a very musical guy with a musical family and I'm not so he ****s on everything I do and has like perfect ears whereas I'm like tone deaf. But I work hard to force the ability into me so I'm not bad. I think everyone can do it, but the natural ability makes it so much easier to learn and understand.

Well, I think it's a mix of both. A friend of mine is a drummer, yet he can pick up pretty much every instrument, even if he's never played it before, and play it good enough so that it doesn't sound like he's a complete beginner. Yet he's obviously not as good at those instruments as people who have actually learned them.

both - you need good coordination which i dont think you can learn.

Talent: Born with it.
Technique and theory: Learned.

Both. Listen to Pablo Honey, then listen to In Rainbows, and you'll understand.

I think it's a little of both....at least for me

For my 6th b-day I had noticed I had a guitar cake while watching the home movies...(I'm making them all into DVDs.). I've always been into music....enjoyed listening to it and creating it.

I started on drums and they are my #1 instrument as I've spend the most time with it over the years but now I'm on guitar, keys, and vocals.

I've learned by playing on my own how to do different things with these instruments which is the learning part of the deal.

Yup. No need for a poll here.
Death to Ovation haters!
It's both. You can be born with it, but if u train yourself, you can learn it too. I grew up liking music a lot. I was like 4 or 5, and my cousin taught me to play some songs on a mini piano and so i really had a thing for playing notes by ear. but even if u never had experience, if u listen to music, you can learn to feel it, just train urself and stuff. you can do anything you set ur mind to
born man
i could keep up with people that had been playing for countless number of years at 7 months
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
well, its not like you can shred when you pop out of the womb, but i think that some people have a natural ability towards music, just as much as some people are more inclined to art or athletics. but there are many degrees in the middle. but anything can be learned. just some people can learn things faster then others because of what they are born with.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
It's all about how you approach it. If you really want to learn it and have a passion for it then you obviously will get better. People aren't born with musical ability, it's not possible.
One Love

“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” -Bob Marley
Quote by musicmyrock
It's all about how you approach it. If you really want to learn it and have a passion for it then you obviously will get better. People aren't born with musical ability, it's not possible.

not necessarily born with a musical ability, but to be mentally and physically inclined towards learning musical abilities faster then others.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Page 1 of 3