well, i was thinking about getting a 7 string guitar, does it play in the same general concept as a 6?
yes, you juest ahve an extra string, and 4 extra notes
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
The 1-6 strings are the same, but they have a low b. So basically yeah.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
i believe the necks are a bit wider to accomodate the new string, may feel a bit akward, but you will get used to it
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Is there a down-side to having seven strings? I mean, i was thinking about this the other day-if all it does is add one string, then why even make a 6-string?
Because some people don't want or need a 7 string.

although, I think it'll be nice having a 7 string once in a while, to be versatile. But I like 6 the best.
The seven strings do have a wider neck, depending on what model it can be extremely uncomfortable. I recommend the ibanez apex.
Quote by Riot Act
Is there a down-side to having seven strings? I mean, i was thinking about this the other day-if all it does is add one string, then why even make a 6-string?

and then seven strings would be the norm

and people would be asking why they didnt make all guitars have 8 strings.

you see where its going...?

the guitar soon becomes a variation of the harp.

Although i do really want a 7-string....
I want to feel youre body breaking, and shaking, and
left in the cold,
I want to feel youre conscience making, a change to fix
this dying soul....
i think meshuggah use 8 strings don't they...? ^^^ (thedonutman)
left in the cold,
this dying soul....
fair

i havent to any of theyre stuff i just learn the songs as timig excercises
left in the cold,
this dying soul....
Quote by Riot Act

Because the7th string goes into bass range so most people don't deem it necessary to have the string.
disadvantages are only there if your picking is sloppy(te low string getts in the way if your accuracy is crap, but it does help teach you accuracy after you get used to it) and if your hands are small then its a little hard to adjust.
Advantages are several, and plus whenever you have a show-offy friend, just pass him your seven string and watch him fail at playing

but seriously, the advantages of a seven string are many. yo have the extra range, you practically never have to retune for songs from E Standard all the way down to B standard so its very convenient.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by Riot Act

You're able to fret the low E with your thumb on a six string guitar and still play around with your other fingers, making chords or playing anything else - that's not so easy on a 7 string, unless you have really huge hands. Other than that, some amps have troubles dealing with the lower notes, which might be a disadvantage.
I'm a communist. Really.