Sup all,

I'm looking for a really good distortion pedal that will help me get a great classic metal distortion, more specifically, I'm looking for an Iron Maiden type of distortion sound from the 80's (Powerslave, Somewhere In Time, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son)

My amps are DSL 401 combo and the DSL 50 head, the distortion on these is great on its own for the more modern stuff but I'm looking to get that classic sound too.

Thanks all in advance!
In all seriousness? The volume and mid knobs on your amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
vox bulldog distortion it easily does from classic rock overdrive to all out scooped mids modern metal distortion and everything in between
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I appreciate the responses guys. Just want to enforce I don't want any metal sound (such as modern metal). Im specifically looking for a classic sound. I was thinking maybe getting an EQ pedal along with this will give me even more ability to further shape my distortion sound?
Quote by steven seagull

Mids FTW! Listen to him. Mids are the key to good tone in general.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
^turning it up too far results in a sound that seems like it's coming out of ur telephone. haha.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by steven seagull
This, really.

Iron Maiden's early sound wasn't distortion. It was natural overdrive, made simply by turning everything up as high as the hardware could physically handle, and by not leaving anything out.

More modern metal and hard rock players should learn to do this. Way too many people use distortion pedals and either scoop their mids or lay off the bass, when really you want either no pedals (or just a tiny gain/signal boost if you insist on having something), and just every single thing turned up as high as they'll go instead.
Quote by bokuho
This, really.

Iron Maiden's early sound wasn't distortion. It was natural overdrive, made simply by turning everything up as high as the hardware could physically handle, and by not leaving anything out.

More modern metal and hard rock players should learn to do this. Way too many people use distortion pedals and either scoop their mids or lay off the bass, when really you want either no pedals (or just a tiny gain/signal boost if you insist on having something), and just every single thing turned up as high as they'll go instead.

+100

If you really wanna sound like someone, find out what they do/did instead of finding something that sounds like them.
The Maiden sound is the quintessential early metal tone, a cranked Marshall with loads of gain, even more volume and loads of crunchy midrange...the DSL can nail that tone on it's own with it's eyes closed.

If it had eyes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com