hey there

i've been thinking of getting the BOSS GT8 multi effects unit, but have heard people say that the Line6 POD is better. i don't need any amp modeling stuff, just the effects. Or should i just get single pedals, and spend more money on a delay pedal, a flange, phaser, tremolo, (...) and spend probably more than twice as much money?
i've been told the GT8 sounds just as good as analog pedals from boss, anybody know if this is true? thanks...
I got the Pod two days ago and love it. The only thing is is that I wanted something that can make really cool sounds like experimental stuff and the Pod, I don't think anyway, caters for this. However, maybe I just havn't played around with it enough yet. But yeah, the Pod is ace apart from that.
Quote by irnbrurules
I got the Pod two days ago and love it. The only thing is is that I wanted something that can make really cool sounds like experimental stuff and the Pod, I don't think anyway, caters for this. However, maybe I just havn't played around with it enough yet. But yeah, the Pod is ace apart from that.

is it better than the GT8? cuz i've been told mixed things about this
Depending on how you'r gonna use it. For live use I wouldn't recomend digital effects but for studio they are great. But on the other hand, the audience dont pay that much attention to the sound itself as long that your band sound good all together.
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
hm... the thing that i love about this thing is that it is so versatile, you can regulate the speed of the flanger for instance with the pedal, then switch to a panning sound that you also control with the pedal. i mean, what kind of single pedal can do that in a setup you can use live?

cuz i need something that can cut it on stage.
I'm not familiar with the live sounds and stuff but a cool alternative could be a Behringer X V-AMP which has a foot pedal too.
Quote by irnbrurules
I'm not familiar with the live sounds and stuff but a cool alternative could be a Behringer X V-AMP which has a foot pedal too.

no, seriously. behringer effects suck, at least to me. i don't like them.
a digitech RP250 or RP350 would be better live than a POD.
i use only its effects, and it doesnt muck up my sound or anything.
Pm TwoString.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
if you just need delay and modulation effects look for the boss me-50 or the gt-8 one or the other but the me-50 saves you some money and you basically get the same effects but the gt-8 has more bells and whistles
Quote by convictionless
if you just need delay and modulation effects look for the boss me-50 or the gt-8 one or the other but the me-50 saves you some money and you basically get the same effects but the gt-8 has more bells and whistles

does the ME have any synth effects or stuff?
well In my opinion the gt8 is better and especially if you pair it with a real good clean sounding amp like the roland jazz chorus, it will save u a lot of money and If you know how to use it will be better than the digitech or the pod, it has really cool stuff look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV2wTxglAD0 or this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sXlXtWC050
It's just my humble opinion because last time i wrote something everybody started to pick on me and I got banned (well maybe because I said a few things but anyway).
If u have yhe money and want a good sound buy the singles buit if u don't like the hassle just go for the boss
Check out my GT-8 thread. If you have a need for ultra-clean time effects, I'd lean toward the TC Electronic G-Major (I've been playing with one for the past week and it's great). If you need to do ultra trippy effects and you need to be really flexible, then go for the GT-8. You can find more in my thread...check the link in my sig.

As far as digital effects not being good for the studio...have you ever actually seen the inside of a professional studio? EVERYTHING is digital now. The difference is quality...you get what you pay for. Just about every effect you hear on records these days is placed there after the fact, and all of the guitars are usually recorded dry (no effects). Flangers, phasers, delays...most of that is added either by plug-ins in the recording program or by digital outboard rack gear.
Quote by TwoString
Check out my GT-8 thread. If you have a need for ultra-clean time effects, I'd lean toward the TC Electronic G-Major (I've been playing with one for the past week and it's great). If you need to do ultra trippy effects and you need to be really flexible, then go for the GT-8. You can find more in my thread...check the link in my sig.

As far as digital effects not being good for the studio...have you ever actually seen the inside of a professional studio? EVERYTHING is digital now. The difference is quality...you get what you pay for. Just about every effect you hear on records these days is placed there after the fact, and all of the guitars are usually recorded dry (no effects). Flangers, phasers, delays...most of that is added either by plug-ins in the recording program or by digital outboard rack gear.

dude. i love you. seriously.

that is the best thread ever.

please let me be your monkey boy!
okay, i've just read that parallel effects loops are no good with modulation pedals. and i've also heard that mod. pedals should always go before overdrive, does that mean i can't use modulation effects through my DSL401 effect loop? it's no a big deal if i can't, i have a Marshall Jackhammer that kicks the crap out of my amp, and it sounds great.
Quote by third-eye
a digitech RP250 or RP350 would be better live than a POD.
i use only its effects, and it doesnt muck up my sound or anything.

no way. ive used them and if you use just the delay or whatever it definatly sucks out your tone
I have the GT8 and all I can say is it's hella complicated.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
hmm. i have a pod and all sorts of multiFX and they rule for studio use. but if was playing live and needed modulation.. i'd probably lean towards going for pedals.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
dont get multi-effects. I just sold my boss multi effects pedal. Spend money on single pedals because in the long run you might regret it. With single pedals you can create your own sounds and they sound alloott better. I have switched to single pedals and it is a ton better, just get a pedal board so you dont have to go through tons of batteries.
Quote by CoreysMonster
hey there

I've been thinking of getting the BOSS GT8 multi effects unit, but have heard people say that the Line6 POD is better. i don't need any amp modeling stuff, just the effects. Or should i just get single pedals, and spend more money on a delay pedal, a flange, phaser, tremolo, (...) and spend probably more than twice as much money?
I've been told the GT8 sounds just as good as analog pedals from boss, anybody know if this is true? thanks...

The GT8 is more for live use while the PODs are for recording in a studio as there's no foot control.

both sound good but if it was my choice and i was playing in a studio, live, or just for fun I would get the GT8.....or the POD XT Live.
Don't listen to these noobs, listen to TwoString his the man you should listen to, i have a gt8 its complicated at the start but can be overcomed easily, also visit Bossgtcentral.com you find lots of help there. Buy a midi to usb cable so you can setup your patches on the computer without having to break your back. Plus there are also various ways you can use the gt8, you can just use it for the effects and bypass all of the preamps. Also you can also upgrade your gt8 theres this guy who sells a device called the Harmonic Converger it makes your gt8 sound a hell lot better man check his reviews on harmony Central http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/RadTone/Harmonic%20Converger/10/1
So yeah the gt8 is a bit complicated at the start but over time you can see the possibilities and go wow.
Quote by CoreysMonster
okay, i've just read that parallel effects loops are no good with modulation pedals. and i've also heard that mod. pedals should always go before overdrive, does that mean i can't use modulation effects through my DSL401 effect loop? it's no a big deal if i can't, i have a Marshall Jackhammer that kicks the crap out of my amp, and it sounds great.

No, mod pedals (flanger, phaser, etc) usually don't play nicely when boosted through a distortion or overdrive pedal. You usually want to boost the signal and then modulate it, not boost the modulated signal. Also, although the GT-8 is top notch, you'll run into issues due to the unit having a slight delay because of the digital/analog conversion time and how it works with your parallel effects loop. You might notice some wonky delays with that kind of loop no matter what you pump through it, but I know the GT-8 and just about every other digital processor will have issues with your effects loop. The only unit that might work well in the same price range is the TC Electronic G-Major since it has an output mode designed to overcome this problem.

Quote by jordy-77
dont get multi-effects. I just sold my boss multi effects pedal. Spend money on single pedals because in the long run you might regret it. With single pedals you can create your own sounds and they sound alloott better. I have switched to single pedals and it is a ton better, just get a pedal board so you dont have to go through tons of batteries.

I'd venture to ask what pedal you had, but if I had to guess I'd say ME-50. Even then, I'm guessing either you had high expectations that the pedal would correct tone issues with your amp or you gave in to the common misconception that multi-effects in general are crap and didn't spend enough time tweaking it. The ME-50 has a pretty easy learning curve, but you still have to invest time in setting up the unit to work with your rig. If you haven't taken a look at it yet, read my GT-8/Roadster setup report in my GT-8 thread, or you can read it over at bossgtcentral.com (it's stickied in the GT-8 connections section) if you don't feel like digging through the GT-8 thread on this site. It took me a few weeks to learn the basics of the unit and a few more months to master it. I'll repeat what needs repeating, but you will never...NEVER...convince me again that a collection of single pedals can do what the GT-8 can. I've made statements like this in several threads on this site, but it deserves to be repeated here...if you can find me a chorus pedal that will react real-time to what position my wah pedal is in, all the while modulating its own depth in sync with a tremolo, and then have that trigger changes in the number of repeats on my delay, then I'll consider my argument dead. But I'll challenge you to find a more cost-effective way to have this kind of quality and selection and customization in such an easy to use package (and yes, with practice, it's easy).

Monster...in the end, I don't know if the GT-8 will work well with your amp, but it deserves a try. Even if it doesn't, I would urge you to try any time-based single pedal in your effects loop before you buy to see if you encounter the same problems.
Yeah man, I just got a TC electronics G Major. I was gonna sk if you wanted any distortion effects, or just modulation. If it's just modulation, I'd got for a TC.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
hm, then again, if i used an overdrive pedal BEFORE the gt8, and distorted with the pedal when using mod effects, and just ran it directly into the input of the amp on the clean channel, it should be okay, right?
I was in a similar situtation - digital modeler or analog pedals. I walked into a small guitar store, which sells primarily to people who play for a living, and the dude behind the counter educated me! At least about my situation...

In my situtation, I don't have that great of an amp. It's an old Crate GT15. Usually when I play live, I plug my acoustic straight into the mixer so my Crate never came into play. Now that I'm starting to play my electric in the live sets, it does.

So it came down to these options:
1: Buy a better amp and buy pedals.
2: Buy pedals and know that I don't have the best sound due to the amp.
3: Buy a digital modeler (Boss GT-8, Line 6 PODXT-Live, or Digitech GNX-series). or similarly equiped lower prices modelers.

I mentioned I had heard the GT-8 was a pain to set (too complicated). He said he hears the same thing. But that's not to say it can't be great for an owner. For every person who hates GT-8's and loves XT-Live's I found someone with the opposite feeling.

In my case, price was a determining factor. I could go the full pedal-equiped modelers for $300. Or smaller handheld/no pedel versions for $50-$150. I could get just one pedal (~$85) for what I wanted. Or a new AMP and pedals - no chance in 'ell that was goign to happen.

The store owner suggested I bring my guitar/amp in sometime and play through some pedals and modelers to find a sound a like.

He said for home use, he sells a lot of modelers but the "play for a living guys" buy pedals. I play live about once a month so my sound quality doesn't rule my life - just my ego.

After talking for 30 minutes, he remembered he got some used stuff in from a church that recently updated their sound equipment. For $40, I walked out with a rack-component Digitech GSP5 with a three switch foot pedal - and the manual. Yes, it's a bit older technology but when I plugged in and set it up per the manual, it sounded great. I'm currently giving both a custom paint job and have built an angled stand so I can see the digital read-out when I look down.

All that being said, and I realize I said a lot...

The people I hear that love the GT-8 are those that play more rock / metal music. They are also people who took the time to understand the GT-8 and would tweak settings appropriately. If you don't mind the steep learning curve, go with the GT-8. That's pretty much a one-time price to get a ton of effects that you can change. Or buy the pedals you need that are more specific to a sound.

I've read so much lately about pedal's vs. modeler's that if I was a pro-player, I would probably use a few pedals for distinct sounds and a modeler for a variety. But if price wasn't an issue, I'd go with pedals all the way...just cause I think individual pedals look and feel cool.

Regarding sound quality, if I was playing live then I'd go modeler IF AND ONLY IF, I was able to quickly change between effects in a comfortable manner. if I was recording an album, then I'd go the pedal route. But then as stated above, the quality of digital effects has become so good that I think it comes down to a personal choice.

And if that isn't indecision enough...

I find an ego element in pedal/modeler. For the most part, pedals are metal and modelers are plastic. Hendrix used a pedal. I picture Clapton, on stage, tapping a pedal between classic songs, not spinning through effects on a modeler. My ego says "pedal all the way." When I listen to high quality modelers, my ear says "mostly sounds the same." My cash flow says "modeler."
loads of pedals=lots of money
one multi effects unit=not so much money

plus if you want to have certain effects turned on and others turned off...the gt8 is your friend.
Monster...It might work, but I'd urge you to try before you buy. Marshall amps have a very distinct frequency response due to their tone stack and the speakers used, so the results may not be as appealing. I just want to make sure you have all the information you need before you buy...I'd rather have a properly educated shopper that doesn't buy a GT-8 than a GT-8 owner that is unhappy due to false expectations. For what it's worth, I ran the GT-8 for a while direct into the preamp of my Fender HRD and the results were okay...not as good as connecting directly into the power amp, but it worked.

joemerchant...The GT-8 can be easily set up in "stomp-box mode", which allows you to trigger individual effects within a patch using the stomp switches on the unit. I mainly used the GT-8 in this mode and only switched patches when I needed to use the expression pedal for something other than whammy effects. Also, the GT-8 is metal...my rule is this, if I can't stand on it, I don't buy it. I have a really bad habbit of standing on my pedals, and the GT-8 can take the abuse. The POD XTL...well, that's a different story. And you don't have to spin through effects...it's pretty much a set it and forget kind of unit. Once you know the ins and outs, just set up your effects to your liking and use the footswitches to turn them on an off. Like I said before, I mainly used the GT-8 as an all in one pedalboard. My main patch had all of the effects I used on a normal basis, but they were all turned off. I set the control pedal up to trigger manual mode so I could enter and exit that mode easily. My effects set-up was as follows...

Pedal 1 - EQ on/off (used for mid boost for solos)
Pedal 2 - Tube Screamer Sim on/off
Pedal 3 - Delay on/off
Pedal 4 - Chorus on/off
Control - Manual Mode on/off
Bank Down - Uni-Vibe Sim on/off
Bank Up - Compressor on/off
Expression Switch - Whammy on/off

Sound easy enough? The unit is very easy to use in manual mode...you don't have to worry about patches or anything else. Yes, you have to read the manual to learn how to re-assign the expression pedal switch to control FX-2, but it's worth it and once you know it, it's cake after that.
Quote by TwoString
No, mod pedals (flanger, phaser, etc) usually don't play nicely when boosted through a distortion or overdrive pedal. You usually want to boost the signal and then modulate it, not boost the modulated signal. Also, although the GT-8 is top notch, you'll run into issues due to the unit having a slight delay because of the digital/analog conversion time and how it works with your parallel effects loop. You might notice some wonky delays with that kind of loop no matter what you pump through it, but I know the GT-8 and just about every other digital processor will have issues with your effects loop. The only unit that might work well in the same price range is the TC Electronic G-Major since it has an output mode designed to overcome this problem.

I'd venture to ask what pedal you had, but if I had to guess I'd say ME-50. Even then, I'm guessing either you had high expectations that the pedal would correct tone issues with your amp or you gave in to the common misconception that multi-effects in general are crap and didn't spend enough time tweaking it. The ME-50 has a pretty easy learning curve, but you still have to invest time in setting up the unit to work with your rig. If you haven't taken a look at it yet, read my GT-8/Roadster setup report in my GT-8 thread, or you can read it over at bossgtcentral.com (it's stickied in the GT-8 connections section) if you don't feel like digging through the GT-8 thread on this site. It took me a few weeks to learn the basics of the unit and a few more months to master it. I'll repeat what needs repeating, but you will never...NEVER...convince me again that a collection of single pedals can do what the GT-8 can. I've made statements like this in several threads on this site, but it deserves to be repeated here...if you can find me a chorus pedal that will react real-time to what position my wah pedal is in, all the while modulating its own depth in sync with a tremolo, and then have that trigger changes in the number of repeats on my delay, then I'll consider my argument dead. But I'll challenge you to find a more cost-effective way to have this kind of quality and selection and customization in such an easy to use package (and yes, with practice, it's easy).

Monster...in the end, I don't know if the GT-8 will work well with your amp, but it deserves a try. Even if it doesn't, I would urge you to try any time-based single pedal in your effects loop before you buy to see if you encounter the same problems.

I tweaked it alot it just never gave very good tone and i ran it through a mesa/boogie and played a strat. I had that pedal for almost a year, and in my opinion single pedals have better tone.
Quote by jordy-77
I tweaked it alot it just never gave very good tone and i ran it through a mesa/boogie and played a strat. I had that pedal for almost a year, and in my opinion single pedals have better tone.

Odd, the GT-8 worked wonders with my Strat and Mesa Roadster