I'm just a little confused. Trying to find out which forum Lemmy and co. Belong in & couldn't find it, so I've decided to ask you classic rockers for the way. Just so that this mighty band do have a voice on UG.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Rage Against The Machine are in Modern rock when they should be in the Alternative forum, so i don`t see why Moterhead shouldn`t be in here.Thet might be in the hardcore forum or maybe metal forum.Check in the search engine up top.
My cancer spot is much bigger than yours

Quote by HumBucker666
I get carrot skinned regularly by a electrified carrot skinning device

Quote by GrEgUms1991
I have a small penis if that counts?

^ some pretty awesome sh!t ( click )

Europeans Unite!
i'd have to say Motorhead is Metal... and i'm 90% sure there's a Motorhead thread in the metal forum

EDIT
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326133&highlight=Motorhead

enjoy
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
They seem like they could go either way (Metal or here), so I'll keep this open for discussion.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I always thought they were classic rock because they ...Ok, they probably were part of the NWOBHM (new wave of british heavy metal)... Sorry, that's a sudden realisation that's suddenly made me feel rather stupid. Thanks everyone
The rig:
Newcastle United
As Lemmy says in every live performance: ''We are Motorhead and we play rock n' roll''
Quote by BrainDamage
They seem like they could go either way (Metal or here), so I'll keep this open for discussion.

Aye, like Black Sabbath.

So....Orgasmatron, how bout' that?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Although lemme think...They never planned to be a metal band it was always just Rock to them, they just kinda got there by been at least 20Decibels louder than anybody else. And also, been that loud they just managed to pretty much create so much metal as an indirect result of them been motorhead, you'd wonder if Lemmy didn't **** raw Iron in the early days. Now, maybe they're more metal, but no, I still consider them classic rock.
The rig:
Newcastle United
don`t know what forum they belong to nor do I care, all I care about is that I am going to see them again on friday and that is a great thing
GOod man - I was wanting to see them at Birmingham NEC, but can't apre the change ... Ah wells, NWOBHM seems to be a good one to go for - checked the recommendations & they're in. Thanks guy/ettes, and apologies for the fuss, t'is appreciated
The rig:
Newcastle United
To be fair, They're not really that modern - their first album came out in 1976(I think), and they started getting pretty big in '79, before they hit big in 1980. Modern rock I think is for Nirvana-Onwards. Still, I think they've got a thread in here now as well as the metal one, so - Fave songs, anyone?
The rig:
Newcastle United
I would call it classic rock for the same reason bands like Steppenwolf are. A great rock band that formed during the 70s.
Quote by BennyStruggle
I would call it classic rock for the same reason bands like Steppenwolf are. A great rock band that formed during the 70s.

Your reason for justifying Steppenwolf as classic rock is that they're a great rock band that formed in the 70's?
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by ufossuck
Your reason for justifying Steppenwolf as classic rock is that they're a great rock band that formed in the 70's?

Yea I would.

Steppenwolf is also mistakenly classified as "heavy metal".

Anything else?
I'd call them Classic Rock. They're heavy but they're not full on metal enough for me. Black Sabbath were a metal band, Motorhead just played kickass rock and roll with a sense of thrill.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Quote by BennyStruggle
Yea I would.

Steppenwolf is also mistakenly classified as "heavy metal".

Anything else?

The problem is Steppenwolf has been around since the mid 60's.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Only reason steppenwolf are (rightly mistakenly) classed as that is because of the words 'Heavy Metal Thunder' in Born To Be Wild, IMHO.
The rig:
Newcastle United
Quote by ufossuck
The problem is Steppenwolf has been around since the mid 60's.

Yea fair enough, my bad on the wrong dates, but the main Point was that Steppenwolf are often classified Heavy Metal when they aren't- similarily to Motorhead.
One of my favorite bands.

I think Classic Rock is as good a forum to talk about them as any other. As far as I can see, "Classic Rock" is just the label for the mid-60's to early-80's radio format that includes anything from the Beatles to Led Zeppelin to KISS. There's no uniform sound or style, so really, the only common thread is time period, and they fit into it.