Okay, so I finally filtered down my choices and it's between these two (I believe). Which one would handle death metal, Unearth, Dream Theater and shred better?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

EDIT: I'll most likely be using a TS-esque pedal to boost the amp. And will be most likely get a Vader cab.

EDIT 2: which one is the least forgiving?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I think a Fireball will do Death metal well, and if u have a good OD pedal, itll do anything i think. except good cleans. lots of hi-gain amps, like a 5150, have trouble with good cleans.
Actually I heard the FB had decent cleans...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
iv always thought engl had gd cleans. if i were in ur postion, i would save up for an engl powerball
I had a Fireball for a few months the gain knob doesnt need to be past noon so the shared gain is no problem. Cleans are pretty good dont even need a chorus. The dirt on the Fireball is way better heavy as **** especially with a vader i played it through one so ****ing heavy. oh you wont need a boost its super tight more gain then you could ever need.

Great Amp

Fireball>>>>>>5150
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Oh rly? Even if the 5150 is biased warmer?

EDIT: Syn, how does the FB handle shred?

EDIT 2: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Engl/Fireball+Head/100/1

FB looking not so good now...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Nov 3, 2007,
with the mids turned up it has a great lead tone cuts very nice
It's not just that. It's the reliability and customer support too:

Well, I haven't had an problems yet, but I had a Thunder 50 which had poor build quality, and this one is no better. They use very cheap materials and shoddy techniques to put the cabinet together (MDF cabinet, plastic stand-offs on the PCB, not enough bracing in areas). Fit and finish is poor. The grill was completely puched in when I got mine delivered. I had to "re-engineer" the grill onto the cab again. Fortunately, I am a wood worker and I could make it better.

I do not believe this thing could stand up to abuse.

For an amp of this supposed "premium" level, they need to realize that electronics are only one aspect to the package.

Taken from the HC review page.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
every gig i play i hear at least 3 5150s and my fireball kills them all in my opinion. I am a liitle biased tho becasue no one knows how to setup an amp these days, they all scoop the mids completely and crank the presence completely and their guitars sound like nothing then. The fireball is much less brittle then 5150s, its heavy and cuts but doesnt make yu cringe. if you honestly like the 5150 over a fireball i would be extreemely suprised, but to each his own.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Last edited by hoondog at Nov 3, 2007,
Well, I've never tried a FB for that matter...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Although the only Engl I've actually heard is my Engl preamp, I would most likely choose the Engl, if it sounds similar to my E530 preamp. I've never auditioned a "modded 5150," but I played through a stock 6505+ all day today. Further, if the following three were the same price, the Engl, 5150, and Soldano Avenger, I'd choose the Avenger. I played a Soldano SLO Friday night, and was ruined forever.

Also, with the right head, you don't need a boost pedal, IMO (at least, I wouldn't).
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Dude if your worried bout cleans, get the screamer. Awsome distortion and cleans
ENGL Screamer 50
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Boss GT-8

Quote by stef123
What's worse than eating an apple and finding a worm inside?

Being black.
But the FB has good (or at least decent) cleans too.
I'm not sure if the Screamer would handle darker tones, I've heard it's REALLY bright.

I can get the Peavey used easily, and with FJA mods it'll cost a little more than a new stock 6505.
The FB and the Avenger are harder to find on ebay.
I've heard the Mark IV is also around that price range used. Is that right?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
But the FB has good (or at least decent) cleans too.
I'm not sure if the Screamer would handle darker tones, I've heard it's REALLY bright.

I can get the Peavey used easily, and with FJA mods it'll cost a little more than a new stock 6505.
The FB and the Avenger are harder to find on ebay.
I've heard the Mark IV is also around that price range used. Is that right?

fair call, but that's what the presence knob is for...
ENGL Screamer 50
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Boss GT-8

Quote by stef123
What's worse than eating an apple and finding a worm inside?

Being black.
Fireball wil lhandle bright and dark tones all you have to do is turn down the treble and presence and it gets nice and dark
The fireball has great cleans for a high gain amp.. There is a sound clip in my profile.. The opeth riff.. Its Fireball clean.. Check it out..

If you have a single coil neck PU, use the bright switch to get acoustic sounds.. Its actually very nice for high gain
+1`for the Fireball.

It rawks my socks right off.

There's alot of Fireball owners all of sudden, and ALOT of Fireball threads.
Quote by aznrockerdude
It's not just that. It's the reliability and customer support too:

Taken from the HC review page.

I bought a thunder last week. already managed to drop it (my tubes survived, yay) but the is like a tank. If the grille was punched in then someone had set the box sidewards and had a sumo jump on it. This of course would destroy the grill of any amp with a solid grille. Really tough wood construction, steel corner braces, steel grille, aluminium face plate, steel cage protecting the tubes etc etc.

That guy obviously had a messed up courier delivering his. Maybe a fender nazi or something?

The fireball allegedly has a plastic grill (so says ZakkWylde02 or whatever his name is) but I'm convinced it's also steel, just painted grey as is mine.
Regardless I think that the reliability is excellent.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
My fireball was built like a tank. Brackets on all the corners, tight tube sockets, all around great construction and it sounded like a monster. I cant remember if the grill was metal or not but it was tough if it is plastic its not cheap flimsy plastic its pretty sturdy
10000% full metal grill
The only problem is that its not screwed properly.. Only on the sides.. Not the top, that makes it kind of weak
Quote by Tarzan_man
+1`for the Fireball.

It rawks my socks right off.

There's alot of Fireball owners all of sudden, and ALOT of Fireball threads.

i noticed this too, which makes me glad i got mine a while back becasue the price is gonna go up and the quality is gonna go down if all these people start buying them up, im scared, ive seen it happen too many times ( *cough madison cough*)
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
yea engl amps arent a secret tip any more....

oh and yes go for the fireball!
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
Well Madison is run by A-holes...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
I really like my 6505+, especially with a MXR 10-band, really gets heavy and tight.

I have not played an ENGL Fireball though. But i have heard good things.

To the person who said they hear 3 5150's every show and they sound like ****, its true haha. Because everyband i play pretty much has one but they all scoop the **** out've they're mids. So it always sounds muddy and like balls. When you don't scoop your mids however it does sound really good.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Does anybody know about Soldano Avengers?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
I didn't like the V3 clips.

Peavey JSX anyone? I tried one out today: liked the cleans, singing lead, but the crunch channel was broken and I didn't try to get any DM tones as I didn't have a downtuned guitar at hand.

EDIT: would't mind using a boost either.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Nov 4, 2007,
Where's the rhythm tones?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
^apparently the JSX does not get very brutal for death metal.

The v3 does look like it would suit pretty well for what your after.
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
UG Gain Whore
Bah guess that means another trip to the store.
I don't know though, I've heard mixed reviews about it and I can't try it out.
And I couldn't really get a good overiew of the JSX, this other guy was showing off with his Ub3R K00L Sk1LLZ and drowning me out.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by jerm__
I really like my 6505+, especially with a MXR 10-band, really gets heavy and tight.

I have not played an ENGL Fireball though. But i have heard good things.

To the person who said they hear 3 5150's every show and they sound like ****, its true haha. Because everyband i play pretty much has one but they all scoop the **** out've they're mids. So it always sounds muddy and like balls. When you don't scoop your mids however it does sound really good.

haha thank you. it one of those "dont blame the amp blame the player" situations. yeah actually when you scoop them the dont sound like anything, its just noise i cant hear a note. nothing would make me happier than to walk into a gig and hear someone just really rip a 5150.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
I would go with the fireball. Engls are notoriously good amps. You might want to do a little reseach into Laboga Amplifiers as well. They can get a recto tone for about $800.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^hahah ya, t'is true man. ****in' n00bs that phail

-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
MESAexplorer, any more insight on the Laboga?

And how does the FB handle shred? I'm getting more and more into lead playing now.

EDIT: could it do Firewind stuff?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Nov 5, 2007,