I've seen the term "boutique" get used a lot about amps and effects. I'm not really sure about the meaning, except that it's the French word for "shop". As far as I know, the term is used about products that are hand made, high quality and expensive. Does anyone have a definition? What brands are considered to be"boutique"?
Quote by kyrreca
I've seen the term "boutique" get used a lot about amps and effects. I'm not really sure about the meaning, except that it's the French word for "shop". As far as I know, the term is used about products that are hand made, high quality and expensive. Does anyone have a definition? What brands are considered to be"boutique"?

Nah, that's basically it.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
So, would my Rivera amp be considered boutique since it's hand wired and not sold in most shops, or does it have to be something really rare, like Top Hat or Vero?
^ Probably, yeah. Fulltone is considered boutique. Cornford is boutique. It makes sense.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I'd think Rivera's not boutique though.

It's less about high quality parts and more about the research, design, and guality build that goes into it. Most people won't be able to tell the difference in quality or THD between most caps and resistors. Personally, I think boutique guitar companies are great, however, certain ones are much too overpriced for some things, like Z.vex.

Most of the time, there's a decent, mass produced pedal that would sound similar to most, but at the same time, there's nothing quite like the fuzz factory.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra