I've been playing for a year and a bit now with a Squier Strat and I don't know too much technical stuff but enough to know that I need to upgrade. I was thinking maybe a Les Paul? Anyone have a recommendation on what I should get, I play a little bit of everything mostly alternative or regular rock. I'm willing to spend up to about 500 no more.

Any help and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Quote by Gee-Tar1
I've been playing for a year and a bit now with a Squier Strat and I don't know too much technical stuff but enough to know that I need to upgrade. I was thinking maybe a Les Paul? Anyone have a recommendation on what I should get, I play a little bit of everything mostly alternative or regular rock.

well, by the description u could get basically anything that doesnt have emgs, uness u decide u want to do only metal. check out LP's, any fender, a bunch of ibanez's, just go crazy. what you want to do is find a feel taht you like, and then, once you have that, go thru guitars until u have the sound. or you coudl do that in reverse.

asking on here will just get you a bunch of ppl screaming LP! or TELE! or STRAT! or RGCEBLEFBLEJFHEHFKB (<some ibanez) and the occasional SCHECTER!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
go to craigslist.com and look for the city on the right side thats nearest to you

people sell stuff at ridiculously low prices. There was a Les Paul studio and an SG both in mint going for 500 each. (USD)
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
well, ur in the SAME EXACT situation as me. i suggest u just go find stuff in ur range u like. i suggest epiphone, ibanez or maybe schecter
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by Gee-Tar1
I've been playing for a year and a bit now with a Squier Strat and I don't know too much technical stuff but enough to know that I need to upgrade. I was thinking maybe a Les Paul? Anyone have a recommendation on what I should get, I play a little bit of everything mostly alternative or regular rock. I'm willing to spend up to about 500 no more.

I'd like to know the reasons behind it. If ergonomics are going south, then, yeah, you should get a nicer Strat/Tele type guitar. If you want your sound to be different, it may be a better idea to keep the guitar at the moment and get a good amp/multi-effects pedal.
Quote by bored_maniac33
asking on here will just get you a bunch of ppl screaming LP! or TELE! or STRAT! or RGCEBLEFBLEJFHEHFKB (<some ibanez) and the occasional SCHECTER!

lol I'm sigging that.