Page 1 of 3
Why do people play the acoustic guitar if electrics can sound just like acoustics and about a million other things--the electric guitar is so much more diverse of an instrument due to amps and effects and all of that stuff. The only other instrument that even comes close is the piano, but that is about it.

I'm confused

I can do the stuff I can do on my acoustic guitar with my electric and I can do stuff I can't do on my acoustic with my electric, so why bother with acoustic, haha?
Electric doesn't sound just like an acoustic. It might sound similar, but it's not the same.

I play piano and guitar.
Do you play piano?
Add me.
:]
Quote by raindropsXroses
Electric doesn't sound just like an acoustic. It might sound similar, but it's not the same.

With the right equipment you can make it sound just like an acoustic guitar.
i will become rich and famous the day i invent a device that allows you to punch people over the internet...
Quote by hug a llama
Dude, if a title read "penis pics, come on in" I think about 93% of UG would still click on it.

Quote by Burpin'Worm
Nonsense. I'm telling you, nothing makes the fairer sex swoon like an extensive knowledge of siege weaponry and medieval battle tactics.
Quote by bluesubno6
It's hard to find outlets in the middle of nowhere.

Roland micro amp

20 hours of play time on 6 AA batteries...
Quote by ElectricFiend
Why do people play the acoustic guitar if electrics can sound just like acoustics and about a million other things--the electric guitar is so much more diverse of an instrument due to amps and effects and all of that stuff. The only other instrument that even comes close is the piano, but that is about it.

I'm confused

I can do the stuff I can do on my acoustic guitar with my electric and I can do stuff I can't do on my acoustic with my electric, so why bother with acoustic, haha?

Then why doesnt everyone play keyboards? Idiot.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by Tensionhead
Moron.

+10
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Electric guitars have their sound reverberating through a solid wooden body (except for semi-hollows or electro-acoustics, naturally), acoustics have sounds reverberating through air between thin plates of wood - there's bound to be a difference. You might as well ask yourself why the best pianists don't play on electric keyboards.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by ElectricFiend

Yes, with the right equipment. It's easier and more natural sounding if you just use an acoustic guitar.

I play piano and guitar.
Do you play piano?
Add me.
:]
I prefer acoustic to electric, when I write songs.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Everyone just says idiot or moron or that they want to punch me, but you still didn't deny that it's true.

Electric can = acoustic

Acoustic can't = electric

Electric wins.
What Raziel said, and you don't have to walk around with 20 pounds of equipment on you to make people hear an acoustic.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Quote by ElectricFiend

few hundred $ acoustic > few thousand $ worth of electric guitar, decent amp, effects pedals, etc etc...
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Quote by ElectricFiend

Maybe they don't like spending a lot of money to sound like an acoustic when you could instead just get an acoustic. Plus, they play differently.
Quote by ElectricFiend
Roland micro amp

20 hours of play time on 6 AA batteries...

OK, so I would rather play an acoustic than an electric because I don't have to buy an amp and batteries to play in the middle of nowhere.
Quote by Taylz24
i will become rich and famous the day i invent a device that allows you to punch people over the internet...

sigged and i agree....and love you for it....
GRUNDY0!

Quote by JeanMi36
I bet some stoners in the pokeman world are smoking Oddish.

Quote by doggy_hat
I mean seriously. You could buy a half ounce of coke, and two good hookers for the price of becoming a level 50 elf warrior.
yeh but i don't see you carrying your amp and a generator through the middle of no where do i?

edit: i do prefer electric due to the genre of music i play, however acoustics are very useful
Quote by hug a llama
Dude, if a title read "penis pics, come on in" I think about 93% of UG would still click on it.

Quote by Burpin'Worm
Nonsense. I'm telling you, nothing makes the fairer sex swoon like an extensive knowledge of siege weaponry and medieval battle tactics.
TS, I suggest you delete this thread and pretend it never happened. Otherwise, someday, more people will find it and realize how little you know about guitar.

EDIT: an acoustic can sound like an electric - put a pickup in it. Now who can do both better and cheaper?!?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Last edited by jthm_guitarist at Nov 3, 2007,
yea maybe my drummer should just get an electric drum set
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Quote by Taylz24

+99999999
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Quote by Taylz24

Ah man, NICE!

TS, there is no way to replicate the feel, or sound of an acoustic on electric. You can come close to making it sound like it, but it still doesn't match up.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Quote by ElectricFiend
Everyone just says idiot or moron or that they want to punch me, but you still didn't deny that it's true.

Electric can = acoustic

Acoustic can't = electric

Electric wins.

They make acoustic electrics y'know. And I daresay that with the right equipment...

And anyway the sound that you get from the vibrations inside the hollow body of an acoustic cannot be reciprocated by the solid body of an electric. The end.

I prefer the sound of an acoustic about a milion times more.
well, I could ask

Why do people play the electric?

It's just a matter of personal preference. I prefer electric, cause I play mostly metal and some blues and stuff

Some people play country and classical (classical FTW).
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
God I hate ignorant people.......

Gear:
-------------------------------
Guitar:
MIM Fender Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Recto
Cube 60

Quote by wyldedarko
Dude, if you already have the capo just put it behind the nut and it lowers everything.

n00bS....
because sometimes it's cool to just go play some Pearl Jam or Neil Young or whatever on acoustic, cause it sounds cool and it's laid-back. and you can do it anywhere.
dont mean to sound like a jerk, but if you have to ask...
i need to hear some sounds that recognize the pain in me, yeah.
I've never heard an electric REALLY sound like an acoustic. It's always sounded like an electric made to sound like an acoustic, no matter how high grade the gear.

Anyone with half an ear can recognise an acoustic from an acoustic emulator. I find acoustic much more responsive to the players touch.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
i love electrics, but no pickups will ever sound as good as my martin does unplugged
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
maybe because acoustic is awesome. i play electric and acoustic. because, like a stated before, acoustic is awesome.
Quote by zwart_gitaar

Dismemberment gives me an erection!
Quote by ElectricFiend

With the right equipment you can make a guitar sound like a violin or a keyboard even, why do people still play them? Moron.
I agree with what everyone else above me said, but I also think that acoustic is more of the effect it gives off. Playing around a campfire with an extension cord, an amp, and some pedals just isn't the same. If Eric Clapton Unplugged or Nirvana Unplugged was done with electric guitars it wouldn't have been the same. It seems like a more traditional instrument so its not always the sound but the whole acoustic feeling thats given off.

I'm not saying thats everything, but its one reason.
also there is just the joy and ease of picking up the guitar not plugging in anything and just playing and sounding sooooooooo good...plus unlike electrics most acoustics sound soooooo much better with age...
GRUNDY0!

Quote by JeanMi36
I bet some stoners in the pokeman world are smoking Oddish.

Quote by doggy_hat
I mean seriously. You could buy a half ounce of coke, and two good hookers for the price of becoming a level 50 elf warrior.
Quote by ElectricFiend

Maybe not everybody has the money? Plus, like that other guy said, you can take your acoustic with you pretty much anywhere, but you might have some trouble with your $5000 effects rack.....
Quote by Tehzekester
Because it sounds pretty.

My thoughts exactly.
...Get out of my head!
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

*smooths mair and straightens shirt*

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
t3gan and Bec > Tegan and Sara.
Page 1 of 3