I always make up all kinds of riffs or chord progressions but i cant ever put it together in one song. There always seems to be something missing. Is it just because i dont have anyone to write songs with? Can anyone give me some advice?
You know dude, it helps to have someone to jam with when your doing random stuff, the problem your having is pretty simple. The only thing missing is th eother instruments. If you had those playing along with you you'd have a lot easier time.
yea i know. but im from a really small town so theres not many other people that play guitar or bass or drums. i have a really small house and there would be no where to set up all the amps and stuff (drums especially). I have finale (the music program) but its just to hard to wirte everything urself. guess i just gotta wait till i go off to college.
I am pretty new to writing a song and what i do is just make a riff and then plan in my head what would go next. Or basiclly think what would go with it. It can be hard, but use other styles of music that u listen to.

When i make a riff, i always relate the chord or chords i have used and try to find the scale that they are in. This helps to choose what chords you may want to use.
I don't spend hours on end trying to write a song. Maybe that will happen the more i get used to writing songs and understand music more. I find that if i play a few bits and without thinking of what comes next, just play around with a few chords. Sometimes other parts will give u ideas for the rest of your song.

I have to break for abit aswel when i write, its as tho i cant think anymore what else goes together. Everyone writes songs in different ways its just what suits you.

And with your question about not having a band to play with it doesnt matter you can write on your own. Its just being creative.

Hope this helps!!

ADD ME
Try stepping outside the box and breaking away from a guitar-centric piece.

Why not write music for a string quartet, but have guitars play the viola parts? It'd be kinda interesting to hear something like that.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
I Like to experiment when writing songs; it helps them to sound original and not like every other same song try using diff. time signatures or some left hand mutes to add variety
When I write songs, I try to make at least three basic parts: The intro riff, the verse riff, and the chorus riff. Then I modify them so they fit together well, and I put fills in between. And if I come up with a riff that's good but it doesn't fit, I'll save it for another song. I write most of my riffs in the same key so I can easily add them to a song.
Quote by Artemisery
You know dude, it helps to have someone to jam with when your doing random stuff, the problem your having is pretty simple. The only thing missing is th eother instruments. If you had those playing along with you you'd have a lot easier time.

right on...........yea dude thats pretty much it.
Its not really an easy thing to do writing songs, but if you can learnt heory and know the theory behind song writing it becomes a doddle
Quote by dxvxb
I always make up all kinds of riffs or chord progressions but i cant ever put it together in one song. There always seems to be something missing. Is it just because i dont have anyone to write songs with? Can anyone give me some advice?

Have you sat down with several of your pieces and taken a good hard look at them to see if there's a pattern to the something missing? Have you tried putting pieces aside and pulling them back out after a month or two to work on them with fresh ears and eyes? Look at some of your favorite groups. What makes their music work that you feel is lacking in your music? Identify the missing element and apply it to your work.
Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
-Dorothy Parker
assuming you do actually know a bit of beginner theory and intervals then this is what i do

take a riff you've written, record it (preferably into a computer)
play it back humming along with it and THEN
keep humming after the riff has stopped
then figure out what you hummed!

me personally i just take and play it back till i hear what i want to come next in my head and just play it straight to guitar. but that takes a bit of practice (to be able to play exactly whats in yer head)
thanks for all the help guys
take a riff you've written, record it (preferably into a computer)
play it back humming along with it and THEN
keep humming after the riff has stopped
then figure out what you hummed!

that sounds like a good idea i just need some equipment.
got something to get for christmas now.
Or you could use a tabbing program if you're in a hurry. I always use guitar pro to make sure my first and second guitars match. It's really helpful.