I need to get a new guitar amp soon as I am currently playing through a 60 watt bass amp. Are there any tube amps under $600 that i can use to play stuff like Coheed and Cambria, The Fall of Troy, Billy Talent, and Wintersun? The amp doesn't really have to be tube but I think that I should make the switch. This will only be for bedroom playing and practice with a drummer and maybe another guitarist. I play an Ibanez S520 EX with stock pickups.
Should I also change the pickups to actives?
wintersun and coheed and cambria - pretty big tone difference. wintersun: tight, scooped metal distortion. coheed and cambria - more mids, rock distortion. and also fendery cleans on some songs, so...

u'd need a very versatile amp... so maybe...a Marshall (the JCm 2000 is very modern sounding, might be wat u want)for coheed and cambria (+some kind of chorus pedal for the cleans) with an EQ for wintersun. thats for <600 USD, so ur probably gonna be going used DSL or TSL.

Edit: i dont know about the Mesa F-30, but wat i suggested would be good if coheed and cambria-like tone is more important for u than wintersun
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
it's gonna be hard for me to find these amps and play them. not too many pawn shops around where i live, and since i don't drive craig's list is not an option (my parents don't have time to drive me around town for something they'd rather not let me have, they don't understand the need to buy better amps).
probably, but again, not voiced for metal, so an EQ and overdrive would be needed for wintersun.

Edit: i dont know about the other bands, but a JCM 800 would probably work for coheed and cambria, and a JCM+EQ would work for wintersun. u can get this from ebay, or consider the peavey windsor, which is supposed to be a clone of the JCM 800. might be hard to find a JCM 800 including shipping on ebay, so u might wanna save up or stick with a windsor.

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
Last edited by musicfreak003 at Nov 4, 2007,
digitech bad monkey + danelectro fish and chips. should cost under $80 for both, i'm not sure of the price of the bad monkey in the US, might even get them both for $50?

anyway, those plus the peavey should have your covered, however, if you play heavier stuff more often than the lighter, it would be wiser to go with a more modern sounding amp perhaps
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
well for bedroom, yea. probably not at band practice, though, if ur drummers as loud as the one in my band. lol. but you can always get an attenuator. (the 50 watt JCM 800). but if cleans arent that important (from wat i heard, the cleans on the windsor sucks) then consider the peavey windsor studio. not sure if its out yet, but its 15 watts

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
how many tube watts are necessary for band practice? i've heard good things about the valveking royal 8 but i don't know if 5 watts are enough. on the plus side it is only $200 and seeing as how this would be my first tube amp it's not a bad deal.
i also found out that the mesa F series was replaced by the express. anyone ever play the 5:25? these amps can switch from 5 watts tube to either 25 or 50 depending on the model. can't find the price yet though.
Last edited by Sound Mind at Nov 4, 2007,
I bought an Express 5:25 last summer. It is a very versatile EL84 amp, although the overdrive does a better "vintage" or "old school" metal, rather than "modern" high-gain stuff. Maybe an OD or EQ would tighten up the overdriven tones?

The cleans on the amp are phenomenal -- more voxy than fendery. On the 5W setting, the blues channel really sings, too.

The crunch channel on the amp is great for classic rock crunch for rhythm. The burn channel sounds best on the 25W setting (tighter bass) -- this is where you'll find your lead tones and old school metal crunch.

It is also really loud for its small size.

It is a great amp, but not for everybody -- some fans of the Mesa Dual Rectos & F-series amps were disappointed by the Express amps. I think they are great, but be sure to try it out before you buy.