Page 1 of 4
Like I said, I have a question. How do you guys who play bass feel about us guitarists? I kind of feel like whenever I solo, I'm upstaging my four string comrades, and some of my fellow six stringers view bassists as being unnessesary (I'm not one of them) I wanted to know, What do you guys think about us?
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
they need each other...no bands have only bassist or guitarist(white stripes not included)
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
unless you have a guiatrist using an octave pedal
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
heheh yknow I've always wondered why someone would want to be a bassist. I'm not saying you guys are unneccessary, I know bassists definitely matter but I mean, why would you want to sit back and let the guitarist take all the spotlight? I know I talk to people that watch my shows or I talk with my friends while I'm at another show and they always talk about the guitarist, no one really seems to care about the bassists. So I ask, why would anyone buy a bass in the first place? When I started it just seemed like a pussy guitar with a couple less strings.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
unless you have a guiatrist using an octave pedal

Or a bassist using a whammy pedal one octave up. There, no need for a guitarist.

No instrument is needed, they are all irrelevant. No magic formulas.
Last edited by watchingmefall at Nov 4, 2007,
Quote by silent caution
they need each other...no bands have only bassist or guitarist(white stripes not included)

Death from Above 1979
?

I mean they are a band, right?
Well, I may be a guitarist but I have an idea.

How many bassists do you typically find around your town?

Me I personally know none. Plenty of guitarists, a few drummers around, no bassists.

I think people start bass as a side thing for when they aren't playing guitar and it just kinda grows on them.

But yeah, I think I'm just gonna get an octave down pedal. Like a Digitech whammy or something.

It's not the same without a bassist.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
I have a friend who is a bassist and hates it lol. He ended up dropping the instrument recently after a couple years of play and he wants to take up guitar now. I love a good bassist. I'm one of the people who look for the basslines and fills in a song. Without them it just seems so empty and I respect a good bassist because of it. I do find that of the few amazing bass players I know they are hella cocky but the same could be said for alot of guitar players too I guess lol. Its life I guess lol.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Quote by silent caution

Any bassist who treid to play with Meg would shoot her dead.

Quote by Necronomicon
heheh yknow I've always wondered why someone would want to be a bassist. I'm not saying you guys are unneccessary, I know bassists definitely matter but I mean, why would you want to sit back and let the guitarist take all the spotlight? I know I talk to people that watch my shows or I talk with my friends while I'm at another show and they always talk about the guitarist, no one really seems to care about the bassists. So I ask, why would anyone buy a bass in the first place? When I started it just seemed like a pussy guitar with a couple less strings.

I originally started on bass, because I thought it would be easier, but got hooked on guitar when my cousin played me Electric Ladyland. That's one of the main resaons I appreciate bass players, as I was one once, but I've wondered that too, (I'm not trying to be insulting by what I say next) cause the only bassists you ever really hear about are guys like Flea, Sting, Gene Simmons, and to a lesser extent( he's still amazing tho) Billy Cox. Whereas there are hundreds of famous guitarists all over the place. I just think it would be kind of discouraging.

I still agree with that one dude who said 1+1 = 3.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Four a couple reasons.

Firstly, guitars get annoying after a while and I like the sound a bass guitar makes better. Other people may prefer your standard guitar, but I'm the one playing.

Secondly, no one plays bass. I know like 15 guitarists but only two other bassists.

Lastly, I feel like everything as been done on guitar already... every song follows roughly the same formula, and no song's guitar riffs really "jump out at me" anymore. Regardless of what song it is, I feel like "yeah, I've heard this before." But that's not to say it's bad music, it just feels exhausted to me.

On the other hand, bass feels new. Since I started playing bass (I quit guitar for it), I've found so many new and awesome bands. Also, who says the bassist needs to be in the back? That's another thing... I mean, the bands with stand out bassists REALLY stand out to me. It seems like every band needs to have an exceptional guitar player, so it all evens out, and makes a lot of bands similar in my opinion. But a lot of bands with amazing bassists really seem to jump out.

But to answer your question, how do I feel about guitarists? I feel great as long as you don't limit how loud I play when we jam. As soon as you tell me to turn it down, I walk. There's a lot more guitarists than bassists after all... but I mean, this is all within reason. I would never drown out the guitarist or anything like that.

Bass was never a side thing for me. But now guitar is. I get a satisfaction out of bass that I just can't get out of a guitar.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
mm yeah, when you can play the bass like Steve Harris, Geddy Lee, John Entwistle , John paul Jones, Cliff Burton.. etc who gives a **** about the guitarrist???.. guitar is needed and now the bass has become a must have instrument on almost every band.
Quote by KillerBastard
mm yeah, when you can play the bass like Steve Harris, Geddy Lee, John Entwistle , John paul Jones, Cliff Burton.. etc who gives a **** about the guitarrist???.. guitar is needed and now the bass has become a must have instrument on almost every band.

I think a number of people care about Kirk and James. Cliff was awesome, but after he died, the sound kept going (though it eventually went south)
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
See you say why play Bass? Why play Guitar?
Other than the two guitarists in my band i only know about 5 or 6 guitarists
And about..12 or 13 Bassists
I started up Bass because the sound if it, love it over the guitar.
Im completely fine with Guitarists as long as there not so f*cking up themselves, like the guys that CONSTANTLY want the spotlight and as Copta said they dont limit me, thats pisses me off.

Bassists have more fun in the long run anyway xp
Quote by Necronomicon

i would say that i became a bassist because i like the way it sounds, compared to a guitar, and i got bored with the guitar after a while, it felt like most of the people who could play extremely complicated and "mindblowing" riffs had no feeling in it, it just felt like they were wanking around the fretboard, and stuff that had some thought put into was boring

bass on the other hand, i hear stuff that just flat out amazes me, and it doesn't have to be the most complicated riff ever, but i also hear really intricate stuff, which has emotion in it, overall to me, guitar isn't as fun to listen too

and about the "bassist in the back" bit, that's not entirely true, i can name plenty of bands with leading bassists, Mastodon, Tokyo Police Club, Primus, Death From Above 1979, and thats just off the top of my head, not to mention, bassists getting overly popular and recognized, despite their total lack of talent
*cough* pete wentz *cough*

oh and a a pussy guitar with less strings? that statement it ridiculous

does this look pussy compared to a guitar?

Quote by watchingmefall
Or a bassist using a whammy pedal one octave up. There, no need for a guitarist.

No instrument is needed, they are all irrelevant. No magic formulas.

there 2 octaves apert actually
"What makes this amp so special is it goes to 11"
Quote by acdc1
there 2 octaves apert actually

1)Learn grammar and spelling please. It should be 'They're two octaves apart'

2)+1 to the since when? The E,A,D and G strings are an octave apart.

Bassists can go past the 4th fret you know.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I'll answer the original question:

I used to play guitar, and i always felt like i was over-indulging when i solo'd. As a bass player, I have nothing against guitar players. I think the guitar is a beautiful instrument, and jamming with even an average guitarist is so much fun. Having the lead guitarist from my band shred over one of my bass lines is really cool.

Any musician or instrument is part of creating music. With technology there is no need to have any other instruments, you can do it all yourself over a drum machine pattern - but there's something really fulfilling bout playing with other people.

As for the guy that said we were unneccesary and its a pussy guitar, you're an idiot. We dont all pick up instruments to be "rock gods". And every great guitar player had an equally talented bass player laying down the groove behind them.
Why are we always in the back?
Because of stuck up guitarists who only gets a bassist because its needed and not because he really wants it and feels the need for a bass sound.

Not saying that all guitar players are assholes but in my last band my guitarists were always telling me to turn it down to the point where I can only hear them and the singer.

So lately Ive been playing with my friend who plays guitar really damn good and never participated in a band, and I really enjoy the freedom he gives me with my sound and volume.
But lately Ive played with him and another guitarist(who is the best Ive ever seen, making LTE songs seem simple) and the other guitarist told me to lower my volume and I looked and him and ignored for the fact he was already above my level of volume.

I feel as if Im randomly ranting XD

Its basically a point of looking at yourself as a musician.
I dont stick only to bass, sometimes I pick up the acoustic guitar and play with myself, writing stuff that wouldnt sound the same on the bass.
I really want to get a cheap keyboard too, so I could expand my musical horizon.

Bleh.
When i play bass on stage i never end up "behind" I just stand at the other side of the stage while the guitarist is on the other side.
And guitars normally take solos due to their more treble orientated range.

Same reason it's flutes and trumpets in an orchesrta than bassons and tubas.

Treble is easier to hear, and cuts through the sound more, so is easier to hear.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Okay here's where I come from in my opinion. I'm the bassist in a gigging band, we write all originals, we draw 120+ people to our gigs, we've been in the recording studio etc.

In my band I am one of the most important parts. There are basslines in our music that make the song. It's not that the guitarists are bad, they're excellant, but they give me the space to write some killer basslines. They have a great respect for bass guitar and understand how bad a song can sound without bass.

There are lots of guitarists out there who believe bass isn't important and it's probably no coinsidence that the bands they're in get rarely get anywhere on the local circuit.

In Leicester, I'm proud to say we have a heathly number of good bassists and good upcoming bassists, I don't know what it's like in your towns and cities but if there's the talent there, get it. Regardless of your personal views on bass. Give a good bassist a try in your jam band and you'll notice a huge difference in the calibre of your songs. You'll regret all those times you said "we don't need a bassist".

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I played the guitar for 2 years, and I enjoy the feel of it. The sound of soft chords to shreading solos. I really feel like guitar is a fabulous instrument. My friends play guitar with me, and we have a laugh, a jam, and after it all we all go home and twiddle around with it. Its fun.

But the 1st time i listened to, i mean LISTENED, and apreciated it, i bought an old bass from my friend for a fiver. It was completely destroyed, 1 Pickup, paint chipped. but i got a screw driver, fixed the neck, and played. And that was when i felt as though guitar was good, but i felt bad, as i had never let a bassist join in.

I still play guitar, as a kind of side project, to help get my skills as a basist up. i feel guitarests are vital, but bassists even more so
Quote by Necronomicon

wow, you really don;t know what your are talking about.
What you are talking about is: pop rock

With the styles I/we play in, jazz, funk, prog etc. the bassist actually does a lot of stuff!
Quote by SG Man Forever

I originally started on bass, because I thought it would be easier, but got hooked on guitar when my cousin played me Electric Ladyland. That's one of the main resaons I appreciate bass players, as I was one once, but I've wondered that too, (I'm not trying to be insulting by what I say next) cause the only bassists you ever really hear about are guys like Flea, Sting, Gene Simmons, and to a lesser extent( he's still amazing tho) Billy Cox. Whereas there are hundreds of famous guitarists all over the place. I just think it would be kind of discouraging.

I still agree with that one dude who said 1+1 = 3.

John Myung, Michael LePond, Randy George, Victor Wooten, Billie Sheeham, Steve Harris, SHOULD I CONTINUE??????
Quote by lordofthefood1
Death from Above 1979
?

I mean they are a band, right?

Of sorts

Anyway I find bass more fun to play on stage or just jamming but I always play guitar at home because you can just noodle around alone more.
Quote by sidious
John Myung, Michael LePond, Randy George, Victor Wooten, Billie Sheeham, Steve Harris, SHOULD I CONTINUE??????

the problem is they aren't really in mainstream music like flea or sting.

i hadn't heard of any of them until i took up bass
Quote by Flea_Is_God

Yeah, I have to agree with him there. I think bass > guitar, but that's just because I like bands with just a bassist and no guitarist mroe hten the White Stripes.

My band is very accomedating for bass. They usually tell me to turn up. My friend's band, on the other hand, were constantly telling me to turn down when I sat in with them. Funny thing is, they play jazz, where the bass is probably the most important instrument. Silly guitarists :p. My personal theory is keep the bass loud enough to hear when it's doing something unique and interesting, but low enough to sit under the guitars when they're doing the main riff and provide the low foundation to blend in with the rest of the band.
Quote by Necronomicon

Well it actually depends on the kind of band your in, for example in my band everything we play has a guitar bass and drums solo and 2 songs are freaking long enough for a GIG so just start wondering how long our songs are 0.o (like 5 minutes the guitarist, i go about 7 more and the drummer takes like 10 for hes own) so yah that plus the rest of the song is more than enough >.<
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
I play guitar, but soon I'll play both. Guitar has its good aspects and bass has its good aspects. Neither have any bad aspects IMO.
Quote by Flea_Is_God

My parent's wanted me to play an instrument.
and then I saw a vid. of a really cool bassist. Don't even know anymore who it was and than I thought: wow I wanna do that too.
Quote by deadringer13
I played the guitar for 2 years, and I enjoy the feel of it. The sound of soft chords to shreading solos.

Ohhh the sound of soft chords on the bass, no sweeter and softer.
And the sound of a good bass solo, that includes everything you want, tapping, slapping and popping, random chromatic shreds....

On a serious note, I find that alot of guitars have a very distinct metal vibe(when playing clean) while playing chords and bass playing chords sounds really very soothing and soft.
Well, I wanted to start playing bass because I love the sound, but my mom made me start on acoustic guitar, so after 3 months of that my mom finnally let me go get a bass and oh god yes... *drools*

Unless your a bassist you won't get it. It's a part of you. I'm sure some of you guitarest know what I'm saying, but it's like how fish are born knowing how to swim, and birds know how to build nests. Bassist know how to play bass. It's really hard to explain, the only word that comes to mind is instinct. But it's... different. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
As a bass player, I love being what Suzi Quattro calls, the engine that drives the car. For me its now about the big solo (if it was, I would have stuck with guitar). As a musician, I am a bit on the introverted side, so it fits me well musically and personally.

Anyway--what do I think of guitarists? Well two of my best buds are amazing guitarists, who are unassuming and brilliant humans. Ironically, they are both in bands with bass players who appear to have overblown egos. Its not the instrument but the person. Like Ben said above, each instrument in the band is equal and has their part and each has their unique challenges in practice.
Quote by silent caution

death from above 1979, and my personal favorite Jewop have only a bassist and a drummer!

I feel its guitarist by guitarist. if I were to generalize, I'd say I have better luck with you guys then drummers, because drummers know if you take drums out it just feels like a couple people sitting in a room together. bastards.

but guitarists like you, who appreciate the basslines and like to exchange the spotlight? There's a word for that.

Musician.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Page 1 of 4