I was planning on upgrading my pickups, but don't know what to choose.
I have a MIM fender strat HSS, and i play mostly classic rock and blusey stuff, but i also like to play grungey stuff, so i want a lot of diversity.
what would you suggest?
I looked into that for a while with some pretty limited knowledge and people were recommending me Lace pickups (I had slightly different circumstances, but we're both talking fender and I didn't want anything too heavy either.) Check out their website and the different brands of Lace Sensors, they do a nice job of discribing and suggesting uses for each.
My attempt at gear-
Fender Jaguar (limited edition Cream with gold hardware.)
Goya Rangemaster (1967 Italian Archtop)
Martin SWDGT Acoustic.
Vox AD50VT.
Ibanez Tubescreamer, Wasabi Delay, MXR BLUE BOX.
some people think that lace sensors don't have a really thick tone (i haven't played any guitar with them)

i'd recommend texas specials or tex mex pickups

and for the humbucker, a dimarzio super distortion would fit good

what amp do you have?
^i'd recommend some handwound pickups over the fender pickups. they're overpriced, since a handwound pickup with boutique vintage specs can be purchased for $70 a piece. $180 a set.

humbuckers, it's nice if u can dish out $150 for an SD pickup, but if u take budget over quality (like many of us), seymour duncan '59 model, a Pearly Gates, or maybe a JB.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by LuckyDIM
I was planning on upgrading my pickups, but don't know what to choose.
I have a MIM fender strat HSS, and i play mostly classic rock and blusey stuff, but i also like to play grungey stuff, so i want a lot of diversity.
what would you suggest?

What's your amp?

I agree, a Seymour Duncan '59 or a Pearly Gates would be nice in the bridge. They can both get dirty enough for "grunge-y" garage rock.
I dont mean to change the subject or steal this threat, but how do high output pickups single coils change the sound? does it make the cleans worse, but distortion better? does it lose some tone? thanks
too high output single coils tend to lose treble, and get more mids and bass.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yea. it sounds thicker. i think it's nice in the bridge position. i like my sound chimey in my neck though.

and Dave Stephens say DC resistance means nothing in terms of tone. he can wind 16k DC resistance pickups with a chimier tone than a single coil wound 7k.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
yea. it sounds thicker. i think it's nice in the bridge position. i like my sound chimey in my neck though.

and Dave Stephens say DC resistance means nothing in terms of tone. he can wind 16k DC resistance pickups with a chimier tone than a single coil wound 7k.

That's because Dave Stephens is some kind of god among pickup winders. I want a set of his Zephyr P-90's SO BAD.
^i want his silver PAF thing. haha. u see his videos on youtube showing how godly his PAF installed epiphone LP sounds through his cranked '70s princeton reverb???
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
My budget is about $200
yeah i've been looking at the super distortion, it looks pretty nice but is pretty expensive, as for the single coils, i love the vintage strat tone, so i was looking at the vintage noisless, but how much difference would I notice from the stock pups?

For those that asked, i'm getting a Peavey Classic 30/112 Tube Combo Amp
vintage noiseless aren't gonna give you vintage strat tone. it's just that it's a noiseless pickup, with vintage (low) output. it's not vintage "sounding" to my ears.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by LuckyDIM
My budget is about $200
yeah i've been looking at the super distortion, it looks pretty nice but is pretty expensive, as for the single coils, i love the vintage strat tone, so i was looking at the vintage noisless, but how much difference would I notice from the stock pups?

For those that asked, i'm getting a Peavey Classic 30/112 Tube Combo Amp

Okay, cool.

I don't like vintage noiseless pickups. Their stacked humbucker design defeats the purpose of single coils, IMO.

The Super Distortion wouldn't be as versatile as the '50, IMO. Perfect for 80's metal.
what single coils will give me the vintage sound?
the custom shop '69 ones look great but they're $220 per set
I dont know about the single coils, but check out a SD Pearly Gates for the HB position
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
I'd say the standard single coils are fine for your cleans and blues. Get a DiMarzio Super Distortion for your bridge, that'll take care of all things rock Best pickup ever in my opinion.
Quote by ECistheBest

He's right, for some reason people seem to think DC resistance correlates to output and it doesn't. It's one of the factors, but there's no direct link as such...just read up on electro-magnetic induction
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ECistheBest
^www.rockmonkeyguitars.com
go there, read alla bout it, and don't tell me u like custom shops more.

they have some very nice pickups here

thanks alot to everyone that helped -
i think i'll be getting 2 1962 Smooth Groove singles for neck/middle and a seymour duncan '59 SH-1 in the bridge or maybe a dimarzio super distortion
^yay. PM corduroyEW about it. i know he can help u even further. he winds them hahaha.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^yay. PM corduroyEW about it. i know he can help u even further. he winds them hahaha.

nice, thanks alot for your help.