Hey UG,
For christmas, this nice friend of ours is offering to buy me like 120 bucks (or so) of guitar stuff. I have talked with him into splitting the bill on a ted weber MASS attenuator, or have him pay in full for a good solid overdrive, like a fulltone OCD, or a ts9 or ts808, or maybe the visual sound jekyll and hyde. I am using a peavey classic 50. I was thinking of getting the attenuator so I can use it for recording and practice and stuff. But the thought of a nice overdrive seemed nice too.
My questions:

-Heavily attenuated, how does the attenuator change the tone of the amp? Would it just be better off if I just cranked it without an attenuator.

-What would be a good OD for SRV and early clapton stuff? Yet, I would like it to get reasonably heavy distortion (like AC/DC, stuff like that).

-Would new speakers liven up my cranked sound (I have the stock blue marvels in it)? If so, how much would it change it?

Thanks in advance!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
weber is great. but it does take out the high end when heavily attenuated.when u play live, when u can actually play it with the attenuator at half way, it would sound good.

if only for bedroom practice, OD would be nice. i'm gonna be building two OCD clones (top secret!!!) so i can say something about that.

speakers might, but i am not sure how nice ur stock speakers are. i swapped mine with a weber, it certainly did change.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^Well, i'd be using it for everything basically. Practice, rehearsal, recording, gigging, everything.
I was thinking of getting the attenuator mainly because my peavey classic is LOUD. a 50 watt 410 combo is very loud, and once I start to crank it past 7, the amp/room rumbles, making it quite unsuitable for recording. And it's still clean!
I wouldn't attenuate TOO heavily. Maybe about half, because I like playing loud anyways.
I think my stock speakers are decent to say the least. They're not celestions, but they're good quality and they have reasonable tone.

fornak: I already have JJ's in it. Speakers were my second choice, but since I have no problem with them tone-wise, I was thinking of getting the attenuator so I can record with my band and get all that sweet power tube overdrive without going deaf.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Nov 4, 2007,
i can't say anything about an OCD, but i want to know what the hype's all about. haha.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Forsak: Oh, they do! when I slapped in some JJ's, it sounds like a whole new amp. Very Voxy.

Well, this was the other option, I could just buy an epi valve junior head, and plug it into the speakers in my peavey classic, and use that for recording. But I love the tone of the peavey classic, and i'd like to keep it in all of my recordings.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^valve jr with marshall mods??? i want that.

marshall jr. hahaha. add a PPIMV too!!! decent overdrive at lowass volume!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I can't ever find crates (any of their models) in any stores near me.
I'd want to try it out before i buy.
We're getting a little off here, but basically I just want to know:
Would getting an attenuator or an overdrive give me more versatility and flexability from my peavey classic?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Well, i would only attenuate about halfway, and the weber MASS's use a speaker motor to attenuate the signal. Also, it has tone pots for bass, mid, treble, and volume to compensate for the tone loss. Well, i'll go to a local store to play a peavey classic (my store has a ton of them), and try out a sweet overdrive (ts808 ftw!). And I'll compare there.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
u want my modified TS9???

or wait for the OCD clones??? haha. go for those overdrives man. cranking the amp everyday for practice isn't great for ur tubes. thats one reason i retubed my BJ 5 months after buying it new.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Oh yeah... Your modded TS9's!
Almost forgot about them.
How much would you charge for one of the OCD clones?
I've heard OCD's are freakin awesome, and with some good endorsements too (Gilbert, Trower).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^i can't tell you about the OCD yet haha. PM me later, it's still a prototype-ish project. i have a shop that sells real OCDs, so i'll compare with those to see if they're actually close.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
All righty then.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
oh yea of course. same with wool warehouse. it shall be Old Crazy Dave.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard